SiouxSports.com Forum

Craig Bohl to Wyoming

UND99

Heard on Jack Michael show on 740 The Fan over noon hour, GT was talking about possibly getting an emergency hire for the HC job to speed up the ND hiring process. GT said this is an important time in recruiting as a reason. I admit I'm not the definition of unbiased but how is the situation an emergency? Bohl and his whole staff are finishing the playoffs at FU, it's not like Bohl and his top assistants are in Laramie right now talking about where to start recruiting. If GT got his way, FU could have 2 HC's for a time, one focused on 2013 team and getting a 3rd NC while the other is on the recruiting trail concerned about 2014. Am I inferring this correctly? Just doesn't seem fair. I realize Bohl finishing out year is somewhat unheard of, but does anyone remember this ever happening before?

Happened with Urban Meyer a couple years back at Ohio St. There were not a lot of other programs happy with it and they needed to get a waiver from the NCAA to do it. You can technically only have so many coaches on staff. I'm not sure of the number.

UND could do the "emergency hire" thing too if they weren't so damn lazy. Making a couple calls a day and taking two weeks to even find out who is interested is absolutely ridiculous.

I never saw Faison as the lazy type... Just look at his waist line! Ohh Snap :lol:

Heard on Jack Michael show on 740 The Fan over noon hour, GT was talking about possibly getting an emergency hire for the HC job to speed up the ND hiring process. GT said this is an important time in recruiting as a reason. I admit I'm not the definition of unbiased but how is the situation an emergency? Bohl and his whole staff are finishing the playoffs at FU, it's not like Bohl and his top assistants are in Laramie right now talking about where to start recruiting. If GT got his way, FU could have 2 HC's for a time, one focused on 2013 team and getting a 3rd NC while the other is on the recruiting trail concerned about 2014. Am I inferring this correctly? Just doesn't seem fair. I realize Bohl finishing out year is somewhat unheard of, but does anyone remember this ever happening before?

Personally, I think the posting requirement is quite stupid for high-profile coaching positions. This isn't some assistant Geology professor position. UND and NDSU should be afforded as much flexibility on hiring decisions as possible. If that means declaring it an emergency hire, then so be it.

Who gets to make the determination whether something is an emergency hire? The Chancellor? In my opinion, there is a decent argument that an emergency hire is needed because of recruiting. Bohl is going to stay on as coach, but he's not going to be recruiting for NDSU from here on out. NDSU needs to get a guy in there as soon as possible to continue recruiting efforts. This applies to UND's situation as well. To take a month off of recruiting during prime recruiting season could be considered an emergency - that is, if you consider the success of your football program to be important to the overall health of your University. Clearly Taylor thinks of it that way. Perhaps UND should have thought about the emergency exception as well. Treating the hiring of a head football coach as a run-of-the-mill University hire is not realistic and it does not offend me to try to get it pulled from the ordinary hiring process.

On the other hand, maybe Faison is a really deliberate guy and would have wanted to take this much time regardless of the law. I'm just saying the law shouldn't hamstring him and prevent a quick hire (if that is what he was inclined to do).

• Upvote 1

UND could do the "emergency hire" thing too if they weren't so damn lazy. Making a couple calls a day and taking two weeks to even find out who is interested is absolutely ridiculous.

The two programs are replacing coaches under different circumstances. I don't have a problem with UND keeping it open for as long as they did to hopefully find the right coach and wait for seasons to end for other teams. FU is replacing a coach who moved on and the seasons for a lot of teams are over.

Two completely different times and reasons for replacing coaches. Not saying UND could have done it faster, but timing is everything.

• Upvote 1

Happened with Urban Meyer a couple years back at Ohio St. There were not a lot of other programs happy with it and they needed to get a waiver from the NCAA to do it. You can technically only have so many coaches on staff. I'm not sure of the number.

Good point. I forgot about NCAA rules. Maybe Taylor will apply for an NCAA waiver. Say what you want about the guy, but he strikes me as someone who will try to do whatever it takes to make sure this transition is as smooth as possible. If that means declaring this an emergency hire under North Dakota law and getting NCAA approval to have two coaches at the same time, he'll probably try to do it.

Just another reason why justice was dished out upon Ohio State and Urban Meyer by the Michigan State Spartans on Saturday night. Unbelievable to listen to the announcers and folks at ESPN after the game talking about how the Buckeyes were the superior team but just got outplayed by Michigan State. I didn't see it that way at all.

Good point. I forgot about NCAA rules. Maybe Taylor will apply for an NCAA waiver. Say what you want about the guy, but he strikes me as someone who will try to do whatever it takes to make sure this transition is as smooth as possible. If that means declaring this an emergency hire under North Dakota law and getting NCAA approval to have two coaches at the same time, he'll probably try to do it.

I think he needs to get another coach in there to keep the direction of the program. From my understanding it was far from unanimous that the players wanted Bohl and company to stay around. It was a pretty heated discussion and ultimately the captains and Taylor had to make the call.

Getting another coach in there will help with the underclassmen who could potentially see all the coaches who recruited them gone and keep direction in the program.

Wasn't the position posted within a day or two of Mussman being let go? I'm also pretty confident that Faison had known for at least a week or two that Mussman would be gone, guessing he had done his due diligence on who might have been interested in that time frame as well.

Very curious on the "emergency hire" that GT referenced. While I understand the thought process behind it, I can't find anywhere the details when or how it is able to be used. I'd assume they would need some sort of OK from the state or SBoHE to do it and also as homer referenced, a waiver from the NCAA to have that many coaches on staff. Would the NCAA be willing to grant a waiver with the dead period in recruiting coming up?

Sounds like you're pretty informed about what's actually going on. Any more info you'd like to share?

I hear things. Have you seen a finalist list yet? Or heard of any peculiar looking individuals walking around campus with Brian Faison? It will get out pretty quick when somebody actually sets foot on campus or he formally interviews somebody. I have heard nothing.

It's been 20 days.

I hear things. Have you seen a finalist list yet? Or heard of any peculiar looking individuals walking around campus with Brian Faison? It will get out pretty quick when somebody actually sets foot on campus or he formally interviews somebody. I have heard nothing.

It's been 20 days.

Finalist list wouldn't be able to be released until Wednesday at the earliest no matter who would apply. It been speculated all along that some of the favorites weren't likely to put in their applications until a day or two before the deadline.

Wasn't the position posted within a day or two of Mussman being let go? I'm also pretty confident that Faison had known for at least a week or two that Mussman would be gone, guessing he had done his due diligence on who might have been interested in that time frame as well.

Very curious on the "emergency hire" that GT referenced. While I understand the thought process behind it, I can't find anywhere the details when or how it is able to be used. I'd assume they would need some sort of OK from the state or SBoHE to do it and also as homer referenced, a waiver from the NCAA to have that many coaches on staff. Would the NCAA be willing to grant a waiver with the dead period in recruiting coming up?

I believe GT referenced that he would need University President and something like the HR office to at least first back him then from there I don't know whats required.

Finalist list wouldn't be able to be released until Wednesday at the earliest no matter who would apply. It been speculated all along that some of the favorites weren't likely to put in their applications until a day or two before the deadline.

That is true, I should not have said "finalist list". I was more referring to behind the scene's talk about who has been talked too, looked at, etc. It gets out and barely anything, other than Brook B. not applying, has been leaked out. That tells me BF is still talking to people to see who is interested. After 20 days.

That is true, I should not have said "finalist list". I was more referring to behind the scene's talk about who has been talked too, looked at, etc. It gets out and barely anything, other than Brook B. not applying, has been leaked out. That tells me BF is still talking to people to see who is interested. After 20 days.

You're reading into things that aren't there. Brooks not applying wasn't a leak from UND, that poster (UNDVince) appears to be a family friend.

You're reading into things that aren't there. Brooks not applying wasn't a leak from UND, that poster (UNDVince) appears to be a family friend.

I didn't say "leaked from UND". There is no such thing. They only put our formal information.

My point is they don't even have a final 3-4 list yet (due to rules I guess) and it's been 20 days. You can argue all you want but they don't and I know they don't.

If they come out with one in next couple days, then fine I am wrong. But I don't think they will.

The people who apply tonight or tomorrow are going to be some of the one's who Faison talked to first and already have jobs. Let's hope it move's very quickly after tomorrow.

It's been 20 days.

Doesn't seem very kosher to post a finalist list when the deadline has yet to come and the 'top' applicants have yet to officially apply. So what have you heard?

• Upvote 1

Doesn't seem very kosher to post a finalist list when the deadline has yet to come and the 'top' applicants have yet to officially apply. So what have you heard?

Once again, I shouldn't say finalist list now. That would come this week sometime. But, from what I am hearing it will need to come together real quick to have a finalist list ready for soon after the deadline. Lets hope to be surprised on Wednesday or Thursday.

Once again, I shouldn't say finalist list now. That would come this week sometime. But, from what I am hearing it will need to come together real quick to have a finalist list ready for soon after the deadline. Lets hope to be surprised on Wednesday or Thursday.

I would think that people will be able to figure out who the finalists will be based on applications that come in today or tomorrow in addition to who has already applied. The Herald and KFGO have been requesting the applicants daily and mentioning at minimum the interesting ones.

"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way."

I have absolutely despised GT over the years as ndsu's AD with his propangandist attitude, ways and methods. But....

Outside of that, it kills me to say that he displays characteristics of what you want in an Athletic Director and leader. He understands and gets "it". He has shown that he will fight tooth and nail to get things done and do what's best for his employees, teams, the program and department. He displays leadership qualities. He understands the state of North Dakota. He plays the PR game.

In his very first interview since Bohl announced he's leaving, GT mentions expediting the process as an "emergency hire". This qualifies as leading. GT is smart enough to play the PR game and get the thought process "out there" to the masses publicly. Whether or not it ends up working is besides the point.

This has never been mentioned once as even a possibility publicly by UND administration that I am aware of. Feel free to figure out the rest of the story on your own...

It will be something short of hilarious if somehow GT gets things expedited and is able to make an "emergency hire" while UND continues to allow "the process" and HR requirements to play out.

In the end, all I care about is a good hire for UND Football. And yes timing has EVERYTHING to do with it right now for UND. Taking your time for the process is naive. Going out and 'getting your guy' is how competent leaders in Division 1 athletic departments conduct their business. Athletic Directors' leadership qualities are a big variable in wooing potential coaching candidates to come work for them.

I hope this all turns out well for UND.

• Upvote 2

Guys, honestly, I'm a sports fan, but hiring a coach is not an "emergency" for UND or any other school.

Aren't you the guy that always says "follow the money?" Of course it's not an emergency in that it's not a life or death situation, but dollars are at stake. For a business, that could be considered an emergency. Will it be for the State of North Dakota? I have no idea. Maybe not. I just like the idea that Taylor is exploring all options and ideas that might benefit NDSU.

• Upvote 3

Aren't you the guy that always says "follow the money?" Of course it's not an emergency in that it's not a life or death situation, but dollars are at stake. For a business, that could be considered an emergency. Will it be for the State of North Dakota? I have no idea. Maybe not. I just like the idea that Taylor is exploring all options and ideas that might benefit NDSU.

Taylor is very good at calming the masses. Look at the how the Bisonville meltdown mellowed out after Taylor made his statement on Sunday. Think what you want about GT, but he is a calm and deliberate leader that inspires confidence and looks out for NDSU.

"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way."

I have absolutely despised GT over the years as ndsu's AD with his propangandist attitude, ways and methods. But....

Outside of that, it kills me to say that he displays characteristics of what you want in an Athletic Director and leader. He understands and gets "it". He has shown that he will fight tooth and nail to get things done and do what's best for his employees, teams, the program and department. He displays leadership qualities. He understands the state of North Dakota. He plays the PR game.

In his very first interview since Bohl announced he's leaving, GT mentions expediting the process as an "emergency hire". This qualifies as leading. GT is smart enough to play the PR game and get the thought process "out there" to the masses publicly. Whether or not it ends up working is besides the point.

This has never been mentioned once as even a possibility publicly by UND administration that I am aware of. Feel free to figure out the rest of the story on your own...

It will be something short of hilarious if somehow GT gets things expedited and is able to make an "emergency hire" while UND continues to allow "the process" and HR requirements to play out.

In the end, all I care about is a good hire for UND Football. And yes timing has EVERYTHING to do with it right now for UND. Taking your time for the process is naive. Going out and 'getting your guy' is how competent leaders in Division 1 athletic departments conduct their business. Athletic Directors' leadership qualities are a big variable in wooing potential coaching candidates to come work for them.

I hope this all turns out well for UND.

Or maybe Faison knew exactly what requirements he had to follow so he didn't have to make some statement about looking into it. He had plenty of time to research the hiring requirements. Taylor was told on Friday afternoon that Bohl was considering leaving, and that he would hear after the game on Saturday. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a little bit of time to make sure you get the right person for the job. Sometimes you get applicants that you never would have suspected if you give them a little time.

And GT has never been known to speak emotionally without having all the facts - just because he says he thinks it justifies emergency hiring doesn't make it so - do you really think those who make that decision in North Dakota would consider a football coach hiring to be an "Emergency" I'm sure in a conservative state, not run by FU rubes, that policy is reserved for true "Emergencies". Plus i doubt he made many friends in the legislature with the way he handled the Petition Scandal. I guess we'll see.

Taylor is very good at calming the masses. Look at the how the Bisonville meltdown mellowed out after Taylor made his statement on Sunday. Think what you want about GT, but he is a calm and deliberate leader that inspires confidence and looks out for NDSU.

Has NDSU mentioned a timetable for the hire WYO?