SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Western Michigan - Friday

AZSIOUX

Didn't cost us the game tonight. He actually had quite the assist on the gwg. As long as he can produce I like a player like him with some spark.

Any chance you make it to any thunderbirds games?

I live closer to Everett so I go to an occasional Silvertips game.

Do you guys not remember Mario when he was captain taking the stupidest penalties? Pattyn I think has been a bright spot for us.

Pattyn plays a lot like Mario - plays hard but not so smart.

Pattyn plays with an edge and passion that seems to get the rest of the team going. Love his game. He drives that 4th line, and they've been producing with regularity as of late.

Since the first game, the line Pattyn has been on has been the only line consistently pinning the opponent in their own end, the only line consistently getting to dump ins and recovering the puck, the only thing lacking was scoring goals, which they've added the last few games.

Even though Pattyn has been playing well overall, those penalties hurt even when we are not scored on. This team is not knee-deep in offensive talent and struggles to score, so burning guys like Grimaldi on the PK has hurt. It's a little like football--you keep the other team's defense on the field long enough and tire them out, things start to go your way eventually. OK, not the best analogy, but these guys will not go far until they can learn to stay out of the box.

Johnson with a Oshie like game last night. He was all over full strength, PK and PP as well as 4 on 4. Railroaded a guy or two then throws in 2 pp goals as well. This team flipped a switch 1st intermission. Hope to see it on again tonight! Go sioux

Stecher has us all believing. What's his story? His playing history, stats, decommit are all there online, but I'm guessing this kid has some brains and maturity, the way he has figured out how to excel early-on at a position that is difficult to learn at this level.

Stecher has us all believing. What's his story? His playing history, stats, decommit are all there online, but I'm guessing this kid has some brains and maturity, the way he has figured out how to excel early-on at a position that is difficult to learn at this level.

He is a bright kid. Him mother is a dentist i believe. My conversation with him i felt he was quite grounded and got the big picture.

On a different note, i dont know how you take thompson out of the line up. He has way more poise with the puck than many dmen, and is much more capable of a breakout pass not up the boards. I thought he was 2nd dman last night. Schmaltz takes shifts off.

AGREE. I'd actually move Mattson up to that fourth line forward spot. He is a weaker dman with more offensive upside...

Wonder what he does with two other lines? I would rather see any d man in forward over Mitch if OD is sick. Hell panz is already playing as forward.

Wonder what he does with two other lines? I would rather see any d man in forward over Mitch if OD is sick. Hell panz is already playing as forward.

Maybe they go back to Friday night at BU with Ausmus and Panz on the fourth line and Mitch sitting.

I think that junior line will start to gel again soon enough. I would bet money OD and Mark both came back before being 100% healthy. Infuse a little health, and I think they'll start to pick it back up. That line was on fire at the beginning of the season.

I really like the overall line combos from the last night. I think the only substitution I would make is switching out Panz for St. Clair post-Christmas (assuming he's healthy by then). Maybe rotate LaDue, Ausmus, Thompson? Thompson has already shown incredible strides since being thrown in against BU, so it's hard to make him go back to sitting most games.

Maybe they go back to Friday night at BU with Ausmus and Panz on the fourth line and Mitch sitting.

I think that junior line will start to gel again soon enough. I would bet money OD and Mark both came back before being 100% healthy. Infuse a little health, and I think they'll start to pick it back up. That line was on fire at the beginning of the season.

I really like the overall line combos from the last night. I think the only substitution I would make is switching out Panz for St. Clair post-Christmas (assuming he's healthy by then). Maybe rotate LaDue, Ausmus, Thompson? Thompson has already shown incredible strides since being thrown in against BU, so it's hard to make him go back to sitting most games.

Rotate LaDue? He is one of our top 4 defensemen.

The four freshman have been playing fine. Mattson is having issues. Sit him unless you need another d man at forward tonight. The junior line needs to start producing if some sort of way. If not throw those guys in a hat and pick last two lines. 3 games til Xmas break and all three are UND can win if guys step up. Would be a nice way to go on break

IMO Simpson, Schmaltz, Stecher, Ladue are the top 4, 5 and 6 come from the others, with Thompson and Ausmus probably being the two most, if not all, the time. And I forgot about Mattson, maybe a forward is the best place for him.

Mark did not look like he was skating full speed like we've seen him before the injury, hope he gets up to speed quickly without screwing up the hip/or whatever it was. Same with OD, not quite the same player that we saw early in the season or against BU.

That faceoff goal might have been the ugliest face off effort I've ever seen, WMU pushed the puck forward rather than pulling it back (maybe the Sioux center actually won it by pulling it back), then WMU gets what essentially was a 2 on 0 in front of Gothberg.

IMO Simpson, Schmaltz, Stecher, Ladue are the top 4, 5 and 6 come from the others, with Thompson probably being one of them most, if not all, the time.

agree then ausmus at least brings some strong physical play to the table to round them off.

Here is my team, factoring in last night's play:

Johnson with Rocco and Jewels

Mark Mac with Parks and OD

Tambellini Murphy and St Clair (when healthy) Mattson now

Pattyn Gaarder and Rodwell

Stecher and Simpson

Schamltz and LaDue

Ausmus and Thompson

Zane

Clarke

Maybe Chyzyk instead of Murphy? He's been playing relatively well as of late.

The four freshman have been playing fine. Mattson is having issues. Sit him unless you need another d man at forward tonight. The junior line needs to start producing if some sort of way. If not throw those guys in a hat and pick last two lines. 3 games til Xmas break and all three are UND can win if guys step up. Would be a nice way to go on break

Great....Thanks for the break down. What does all of that have to do with keikla's statement to rotate LaDue?