SiouxSports.com Forum

Expectations for Next Season & New Coach?

Cratter

Wow, Moo U really thinks that have everything. The campus is a joke compared to UND. Our facilities across the board (Alerus, Betty, Ralph) are better (coming soon IPF). Our medical, law and aviation schools are well respected across the region if not the country.

The fact is, most kids that come to play football are looking to get a education, hence "student athlete". Maybe the Ag school should focus more on recruiting athletes that aren't getting arrested and can stay eligable. Then again, maybe businesses are excited to hire those with a national championship ring and a criminal record? Personally, I would rather my son keep his dignity while attending a real University, than to send him to a dairy farm and leave with parole.

Lol. Nope.

P.S. Your med school is a joke.

Of course that would also include physical or occupational therapy, chemical or petroleum engr. a more prestigious college of business, more opportunities in medical sciences, the entrepreneurship program, geological engineering and geological sciences, medical technology, accounting and I guess most can understand pre-med and pre-law students have an advantage being on campus for 5 yrs and can take advantage of internships and lab work or courses with professors who are med school or law school staff. Athletically UND has the opportunity to play in the Big Sky and compete for conference and National Championships. If the kids are good enough and choose UND chances are good. If you are good enough your college career can lead to an NFL career. You can be part of the team that turns things around and that is pretty cool. The ag college you probably went to will not likely be on game day and if they play well will certainly continue to have an exciting game day atmosphere for fans. As a player we don't get to hang out with the tv guys and we play the game which is more fun with a great crowd. When UND gets there program back on track, the Alerus and pre-game at UND isnangreat atmosphere. You highlight one of the big differences between the programs. You talk about the past and game day. I talk about a great athletic opportunity while obtaining an excellent education in a great atmosphere. Same situation I faced as hs senior. Ag school was coming off national championship yr and had pounded UND in previous season. My Soph yr we demolished an undefeated ag college team. And help them to negative yardage. I chose to go to UND cuz they had a better passing game and the head civil engr for the federal highway administration recommended UND's Civil Engr. program. When I changed my major, I had more choices of a major field of study. My teammates are now Doctors, Lawyers, teachers, Engineers, Accountants, Farmers, Pilots, military veterans, entrepreneurs, and CEOs of companies and corporations. Simple as that, I wanted more than Game Day and the fans. In addition to a great education we won a couple of conference Championships and a Bowl game. When I served in combat with the 1st Armored Div. my radio operator was a UND guy. Our Brigade JAG guy was a UND guy. We had Apache and Blackhawks guys who were UND guys. The CEO of Cargill is a UND guy. CEO of Buffalo Wild Wings a UND gal. Our backup QB is CEO of one of the largest timber companies in the world. Our punter was CEO of one of largest food wholesalers in Colorado. Defensive tackle attorney who owned multiple gold mines around the world as only part of his financial empire. The estimated net worth of those teammates is in the millions. More importantly, those same teammates give back to their communities regularly. There is a connection for UND students that you won't understand. That my young friend is the UND advantage in a nut shell. I and many others will take that over playing for a team that had previously been a winner. Once school is over no one gives a rats behind what I did or didn't do on a fb field or even if I played. Besides, they are building a new road between MSP and Grand Forks that will make the trip to games shorter for parents to drive than the drive to Fargo.

Well said!

Believe it or not Ira, most kids looking to play football are phy ed, business, science, engineering majors, etc. They can get a quality education and degree at NDSU just as well as at UND. Even if they want to be doctors or dentists, they can get a biology or zoology under grad degree and get into med school after their playing days are over. If you think employers in the Fargo or Twin Cities areas look at grads from UND as better than NDSU you are delusional.

What are the advantages at UND over NDSU when kids get on campus? There is no atmosphere at football games, there has been very limited fan support, not a lot of media exposure. What is it? the big quonset they play in? The city of Grand Forks? The Red Pepper? I would like to know.

Tim Polasek came back to NDSU this year after being at Northern Illinois. He said he has been all around the MAC and nobody, including Northern Illinois has the facilities, atmosphere and support that NDSU has.

UND can offer immediate playing time right now, and that is about the only advantage they have, unless you have someone that wants to be a pilot or air traffic controller.

UND has a clear advantage for medical, law, and business degrees - don't fool yourself with such nonsense. NDSU is not on equal footing with UND in these areas because NDSU does not have a medical school, law school, or prestigious graduate program in business. You may not have attended a professional school or graduate program, but if you have, you know schools help out their own in terms of admission. UND has a legitimate shot to recruit any prospect interested in certain academic fields that NDSU does not offer or specialize in - that's just the way it is, whether you like it or not. Mussman was not a great ambassador of UND academics, and due to the shortcomings in recruiting as a result of this, it partly cost him his job.

I've made the comparison before, and I'll do it again. NDSU is no different than Appalachian State. They both won 3 consecutive FCS titles, and then slowly declined (although ASU didn't have to deal with a coaching change). NDSU will decline buddy, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. That "quonset" you referenced will soon be housing a fine atmosphere that accompanies a winning football team. So enjoy your gloating right now, because you won't be able to forever.

UND is a fine university with a proud athletics history. Not only academically, but through division I athletics in the Big Sky Conference and what's shaping up to be a good coaching staff, UND definitely can get kids over NDSU. It's happened before and it will happen again, especially with Bubba & company. Good luck having Klieman run your "MAC-quality" program. By the way, I think that MAC comment made you sound like the delusional one.

• Upvote 2

President of The Minnesota Twins is a NDS..........wait a UND grad!! UND also has a NASA astranaut for an alum just to reference a few Ira missed. That's not even mentioning the premier hockey players that play in olympics and NHL.

UND is defintely superior to NDSU in many, many academic fields. Aviation is world renowned.

In the same breath I will say I am not delusional and I don't think NDSU doesn't produce well educated students. I work with many, although I hate them bragging about football, they are more than qualified in their field. I will also not knock farmers and agriculture, it is obviously a major part of our states culture, not to mention my ancestors were all farmers. But again, I chose UND over NDSU in a major both schools offered.

No matter how you slice it, UND is superior in academics overall.

Now to football, as someone mentioned before, the Alerus was absolutely rocking for majority of the 2000's. NDSU fans should know that more than anyone, except maybe GVSU. I absolutely believe Bubba can get us back and annually compete for Big Sky championships. The decline of NDSU will be fun to watch, but NOT as fun as the rise of UND football!

President of The Minnesota Twins is a NDS..........wait a UND grad!! UND also has a NASA astranaut for an alum just to reference a few Ira missed. That's not even mentioning the premier hockey players that play in olympics and NHL.

UND is defintely superior to NDSU in many, many academics. Aviation is world renowned.

In the same breath I will say I am not delusional and don't think NDSU doesn't produce well educated students. I work with many, although I hate them bragging about football, they are more than qualified in their field. I will also not knock farmers and agriculture, it is obviously a major part of our states culture, not to mention my ancestors were all farmers. But again, I chose UND over NDSU in a major both schools offered.

No matter how you slice it, UND is superior in academics overall.

Now to football, as someone mentioned before, the Alerus was absolutely rocking for majority of the 2000's. NDSU fans should know that more than anyone, except maybe GVSU. I absolutely believe Bubba can get us back and annually compete for Big Sky championships. The decline of NDSU will be fun to watch, but NOT as fun as the rise of UND football!

Football is all the University of Agriculture and Applied Science has over the flagship school, the University of North Dakota.

They may not like to think about it, but their days of dominance are coming to a close.

• Upvote 2

Lol. Nope.

P.S. Your med school is a joke.

And Fargo/NDSU has a better one? You're an absolute moron. UND starts construction on a new medical school this summer that will be completed in 2016. That school won't be a joke, and the school currently functioning not only trains North Dakota's physicians but also supports critical biomedical research; that doesn't sound like a joke to me. You really are mentally incompetent; then again, you attend NDSU and not UND. Next time you see a physician in North Dakota, you're probably dealing with a UNDSMHS graduate - why don't you ask them if that school is a joke? That's right, the school that ranks top 5 nationally in rural medicine and top 20 in medical school curriculum.

• Upvote 2

Believe it or not Ira, most kids looking to play football are phy ed, business, science, engineering majors, etc. They can get a quality education and degree at NDSU just as well as at UND. Even if they want to be doctors or dentists, they can get a biology or zoology under grad degree and get into med school after their playing days are over. If you think employers in the Fargo or Twin Cities areas look at grads from UND as better than NDSU you are delusional.

What are the advantages at UND over NDSU when kids get on campus? There is no atmosphere at football games, there has been very limited fan support, not a lot of media exposure. What is it? the big quonset they play in? The city of Grand Forks? The Red Pepper? I would like to know.

Tim Polasek came back to NDSU this year after being at Northern Illinois. He said he has been all around the MAC and nobody, including Northern Illinois has the facilities, atmosphere and support that NDSU has.

UND can offer immediate playing time right now, and that is about the only advantage they have, unless you have someone that wants to be a pilot or air traffic controller.

Wow. Maybe try researching alumni for starters. Then read this: http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/265535/

EIGHT OUT OF THE TOP TEN HIGHEST PAID STATE EMPLOYEES LIVE IN GF AND SIX OF THEM WORK IN THE MED SCHOOL. HMMMMMMMMMMM

And Fargo/NDSU has a better one? You're an absolute moron. UND starts construction on a new medical school this summer that will be completed in 2016. That school won't be a joke, and the school currently functioning not only trains North Dakota's physicians but also supports critical biomedical research; that doesn't sound like a joke to me. You really are mentally incompetent; then again, you attend NDSU and not UND. Next time you see a physician in North Dakota, you're probably dealing with a UNDSMHS graduate - why don't you ask them if that school is a joke? That's right, the school that ranks top 5 nationally in rural medicine and top 20 in medical school curriculum.

My doc is a U of M guy.

You folks sure think the world of the doctors.

Well I have been in health care since man landed on the moon. I can tell you some of the best doctors and nurses I have worked with are from UND. I knew about UND long before Fighting Sioux football. Hands down a quality program and very well respected in health care. Also some of their admission criteria is much tougher ( and more common sense) than other schools.

And let's get back to football!

• Upvote 1

When we talk about the decline of the program at the ac, what exactly do we think that means? Is there anyone here that believes they wont be a perennial playoff team that makes a playoff run ever few years? I certainly don't think they will be looking at consecutive titles again, but I think a decade long slide equally unlikely. With Georgia Southern and App St gone, and an expanded playoff field, the road to the top has become even easier. Aren't they in a similar position to Montana and Eastern in the BSC? Missing the playoffs occasionally, but generally speaking they are always around the top 10?

This thread is about football, not enabling preposterous statements. I have no quarrels with NDSU as a school at all. To say the med school is a joke and not to realize the difference in professional degree opportunities is hopefully intentional ignorance on his part.

I basically only have three expectations for the team next year, which I didn't see this year. That is to play hard, smart, and be engaged at a consistent basis. If we do those three times consistently, we'll do a lot more than most people think we should. It also breeds a culture for the next years. I'm not putting a wins/losses thing on it (call me a Bubba homer) because of depth. In my mind, I don't see some the talent being ALL that bad (we could probably use more than one corner), but if we get injuries, woof. Just my $0.02.

• Upvote 2

So trying to swing back the pissing contest to the point of the thread.... San Jose State. In 2012 we did a track meet with San Diego State, 2011 Fresno St had to come back to beat UND, 2010 UND lost by 6 to NIU, is this the year UND gets its first FBS win and make SDSU as the only Dakota team not to defeat one?

San Jose St lost its starting QB, (back up is very untested thowing only 6 passes including a pick), Starting RB is now a Soph, had 788 yds last season, they lost their starting WR to graduation (79 rec for 1356 yds 15 td). 15th in yards per game out of 123 FBS teams (not including reclassifying teams), 103rd in yds per game on defense.

UND was 66th in the FCS in offense and 90th in defense (by total yds). I think this game could make or break our season, if we win I see major improvements and a good season ahead, if we get blown out, we have a long way to go, and if we lose like the last 3 FBS games we played (average loss by a TD), then its still a wait and see approach.

Personally I do not see it as a "make or break your season type of game." It's the first game for the coaching staff and several young players. I don't expect a win. I expect to see them compete in that game. Not sure if we have a " make or break game in our schedule," but if I had to choose one, it would be the Montana game at home. We will have played a few games by that point and UM is a team we've split with over the past couple seasons. If we compete against them, and possibly even beat them, then I will feel confident we are headed in the right direction.

• Upvote 2

Personally I do not see it as a "make or break your season type of game." It's the first game for the coaching staff and several young players. I don't expect a win. I expect to see them compete in that game. Not sure if we have a " make or break game in our schedule," but if I had to choose one, it would be the Montana game at home. We will have played a few games by that point and UM is a team we've split with over the past couple seasons. If we compete against them, and possibly even beat them, then I will feel confident we are headed in the right direction.

Totally agree. Have to give Bubba at least 2-3 years to get this thing turned around. We have a lot of re-stocking to do and that takes time. The AD put this coaching staff at a major disadvantage taking so long to get him hired...

All I want is for the team to be competitive...tired of the 30-40 point beat downs..