SiouxSports.com Forum

Preference for new coach

SiouxVolley

Within reason, who do you choose?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Choice for new coach (monetary restraints - no Saban)

• Lennon - bring him back
    • Schweighert - DC SIU
    • DeBoer - OC SIU
    • Hazelton - DC Nevada
    • Leipod - HC Wisconsin-Whitewater
    • Tibesar - LB coach, Chicago Bears
    • Bollinger - QB coach, Pitt
    • Caruso - HC, St Thomas
    • Nielson - HC, WIU
    • Other

Caruso? He didn't even make the D3 playoffs.Need a D1 coach. Bollinger.

first time in five years. has he been HC for 6 years? St Thomas was 7-3 the year he took over after 2-8 the previous year. Tommies were 8-2 and ranked 16th but passed over by selection committee.

like his credentials, but Faison has stated the search will be nationwide. should get a great pool to pick from. if Caruso, Bollinger, Claeys or whomever is selected, just cheering for him to be as successful as Hardee.

"Go big"? So you would prefer to have a failed D-1 coach or a OC/DC that would use us as a stepping stone for his next job? I would rather have someone that is interested in building the program from the ground up for long term success, rather than a guy who gets us over .500 and moves on to something bigger and better. I know there are the snobs out there that turn their nose up at anyone who isn't a "big name", but I want a winner. How many of you had honestly ever heard of Jerry Kill before he became the HC at Minnesota? Give me a guy like Glenn Caruso that is firmly intrenched in the midwest, has morals, values and holds coaches and players accountable. You can have the "big name" coach, I will take the guy that recruits his butt off, has players that will break down walls for him and understands how to pull every ounce out of the people around him.

ok, my rant is over now.

• Upvote 2

Caruso? He didn't even make the D3 playoffs.Need a D1 coach. Bollinger.

I love Bollinger, but he has 1 year of coaching college football and 1 year of HS coaching. You would rather have someone with 2 years of coaching experience over someone who has taken his team to a national championship and made the playoffs multiple times?

"Go big"? So you would prefer to have a failed D-1 coach or a OC/DC that would use us as a stepping stone for his next job? I would rather have someone that is interested in building the program from the ground up for long term success, rather than a guy who gets us over .500 and moves on to something bigger and better. I know there are the snobs out there that turn their nose up at anyone who isn't a "big name", but I want a winner. How many of you had honestly ever heard of Jerry Kill before he became the HC at Minnesota? Give me a guy like Glenn Caruso that is firmly intrenched in the midwest, has morals, values and holds coaches and players accountable. You can have the "big name" coach, I will take the guy that recruits his butt off, has players that will break down walls for him and understands how to pull every ounce out of the people around him.

ok, my rant is over now.

Good post tho!!

Get someone with head coaching experience or significant D1 experience. That eliminates Brooks Bollinger due to his lack of coaching experience. We have no idea what kind of coach/leader Bollinger can be, so it would be a shot in the dark.

I'd much rather have a guy that has experience and demands respect. Glenn Caruso is a good fit, among others. Bubba Schweigart is another one to look at.

Need a proven head coah no matter the division level...someone with an amazing record. Not a guy that didn't make the playoffs this year.

Before this season:

Caruso has built a 57-8 record in five seasons at St. Thomas, with four NCAA playoff berths and an 11-4 postseason mark.

so now he has a 65-10 overall record (.867). They were 8-2 this year. a DOWN year!

Everything else equal I'd take:

- Midwestern guy over southern or coastal guy

- Power game guy over finesse game guy

- Guy with HC experience (any level) over guy without HC experience

*There's something about having been in a "buck stops here" job before, no matter the level. We didn't have that with the outgoing guy. I will say however, there are certain jobs that aren't titled "HC" that surely are under that same "buck stops here" pressure and you can use that prior role as a measuring stick.

• Upvote 1

Glenn Caruso would be my number 1 choice - I went to grad school at St Thomas and a friend of mine had a brother playing so we'd go to quite a few games - I firmly believe that Caruso could bring us to new heights.

Also liked the suggestion of the coach from CSU-Pueblo - taking a restarted program to number 1 in the country in three years takes a lot of effort on the coaching staffs part.

Need a proven head coah no matter the division level...someone with an amazing record. Not a guy that didn't make the playoffs this year.

They went 8-2 and were ranked 16th in the country. With 32 teams making the playoffs, they were not selected. This guy is a winner.

All I can say is that I am glad you aren't the one picking the next HC. That "guy" you are referring to lost 2 games by a total of 13 points and was ranked 16th in the country. If you want a "proven head coach" I hear Chris Mussman is available.

Everything else equal I'd take:

- Midwestern guy over southern or coastal guy

- Power game guy over finesse game guy

- Guy with HC experience (any level) over guy without HC experience

*There's something about having been in a "buck stops here" job before, no matter the level. We didn't have that with the outgoing guy. I will say however, there are certain jobs that aren't titled "HC" that surely are under that same "buck stops here" pressure and you can use that prior role as a measuring stick.

A defensive-minded coach would be a very good start in the BSC. Couple that with ball control rather than "high-flying" and you have a recipe for success in the BSC. Look what SHSU has done to the BSC the last few years in the playoffs.

I'll bet Pellini is available soon......Nebraska fans not too happy lately.....

OC's and DC's from BCS/FBS teams certainly should be looked at!! Foolish not too, especially if they show interest in UND. No, that last part is not smack--didn't mean it that way at all.

What exactly has BB done that you all feel warrants him being a HC at this level?!?! And Sic, having a "shadow" HC with Brooks as the "named" HC so that he can be "the face of UND" football?!?! C'mon man. That is -- I hate to say it -- kinda UNDish. This is about winning football games, not beauty pageants. Hell, look at Bohl (or don't)<--he ain't much to look at, but his product is.

Jussayin'!!

Top two, in no particular order:

John Wristen - CSU-Pueblo

Glenn Caruso - St. Thomas (MN)

Wristen would be an interesting choice.

I wonder if UNC is going to fire their coach this year? With the poor support they get from alumni, it might be hard to buy out that contract. Plus, if it was between UND and UNC for Wristen...hmmm... I think UND could win out.

A defensive-minded coach would be a very good start in the BSC. Couple that with ball control rather than "high-flying" and you have a recipe for success in the BSC. Look what SHSU has done to the BSC the last few years in the playoffs.

When I say "power game" in my mind that infers strong defense and a downhill run game with enough offensive capability to recover from two scores down. But I think we just said the same thing.

OC's and DC's from BCS/FBS teams certainly should be looked at!! Foolish not too, especially if they show interest in UND. No, that last part is not smack--didn't mean it that way at all.

What exactly has BB done that you all feel warrants him being a HC at this level?!?! And Sic, having a "shadow" HC with Brooks as the "named" HC so that he can be "the face of UND" football?!?! C'mon man. That is -- I hate to say it -- kinda UNDish. This is about winning football games, not beauty pageants. Hell, look at Bohl (or don't)<--he ain't much to look at, but his product is.

Jussayin'!!

I was thinking more along the lines of when Lane Kiffin was a HC with Monte Kiffin as one of his coordinators. (We know who the real mind in that set-up was.) Lane was the face of the organization and was supposed to be maturing into a real HC (epic fail).