SiouxSports.com Forum

Mike Edwards needs to start

geaux_sioux

I agree because Hensen gives to much ground. I would bet over half of his tackles are after the opposing RB has already gained at least 5 yards. The NT needs to be able to hold the line against double teams which it seems UND has struggled with for a while now. Edwards is more of a hit or miss player though, but I think he should start and get the bulk of the playing time. He does take himself out of plays at times creating opportunity for the offense to exploit.

I have a feeling that a lot of these young guys don't have the mental side down yet. Even if that is the case I think they need to play more because they have to learn sometime and some of these older guys aren't helping the team right now. If they go to playing the young guys I would expect more penalties but it can't possibly be much worse.

I have a feeling that a lot of these young guys don't have the mental side down yet. Even if that is the case I think they need to play more because they have to learn sometime and some of these older guys aren't helping the team right now. If they go to playing the young guys I would expect more penalties but it can't possibly be much worse.

Much rather have talented young players that are the future of the program on the field than less talented upperclassmen, considering how this season has gone. We haven't been able to stop anyone, especially the top 25 teams, so why not put the most talent on the field and let them learn through their mistakes in game action. It makes no sense to play less talented upperclassmen that already have hit their ceiling when the defense is horrid with those "as good as they're gonna get" players in.

I agree. It isn't like the young guys couldn't have let Montana march down the field every drive until the 4th quarter. Find out now if they can play because the guys in there right now aren't exactly getting it done.

I think that message is coming across slowly with Kuska starting last weekend.

Unless JJ Watt is next to "Big Snacks" it won't really matter Saturday...

He should play more...a lot more but he himself isn't a difference maker to improve this D dramatically at this point.

Unless JJ Watt is next to "Big Snacks" it won't really matter Saturday...

He should play more...a lot more but he himself isn't a difference maker to improve this D dramatically at this point.

He does play the most important position on the defense though. Stanchek improved the DL when he came back. Now Cummings either needs to do something or step aside.

A lot of players I'd like to see more on defense. Start Edwards at NT, start Kuksa at FS and Javen Butler at SS. Also, I'd like to see Ratelle, Goard, and Taj Rich in the LB rotation more.

This, this and this........I really want to see more of the guys you have listed on there. I've also actually been impressed with Idowu at OLB, and it appears that Finley has disappeared off the two deep. Is he hurt or have the coaches benched him (or was I missing something)? I just think that with what seems to be a lost season (although the schedule does lighten considerably after this weekend) we need to get some game experience for a lot of the younger players and see what they've got.

Also agreed on Henson from the other posts. He basically just stands up with the center and that's it. Needs to take on two guys at least, and if he is one on one needs to make more plays. I've heard that Cheatom isn't there with knowing the playbook, but he should also be playing before Henson. For some reason, even though this has been a complete bummer of a year, I still hold out hope that the younger players are who we think they are :)

This, this and this........I really want to see more of the guys you have listed on there. I've also actually been impressed with Idowu at OLB, and it appears that Finley has disappeared off the two deep. Is he hurt or have the coaches benched him (or was I missing something)? I just think that with what seems to be a lost season (although the schedule does lighten considerably after this weekend) we need to get some game experience for a lot of the younger players and see what they've got.

Also agreed on Henson from the other posts. He basically just stands up with the center and that's it. Needs to take on two guys at least, and if he is one on one needs to make more plays. I've heard that Cheatom isn't there with knowing the playbook, but he should also be playing before Henson. For some reason, even though this has been a complete bummer of a year, I still hold out hope that the younger players are who we think they are :)

Cheatom has been seeing more time at DE than NT. He's in there a lot in jumbo and passing packages. Finley hurt his shoulder pretty bad against MSU. Idowu has improved a lot and finally looks more like a LB. I really want to see Rich in there to see what he can do since he was so highly touted and looks the part.

I keep hearing about the mental side when we have players with talent who aren't playing. Is our defense that complicated? Or better question, is it unecessarily complicated? If we simplify the defense we gain two things. Better talent on the field and players playing faster. Not sure what we are gaining by having a defense that takes some kids three years to learn. Especailly if we are going to give 500 yards a game.

We all know that a good teacher can get more kids to understand d complex material than a poor teacher can. So maybe the other possibility here is the coaching staff is doing a poor job of breaking the defensive schemes down into terms the players can understand.

I keep hearing about the mental side when we have players with talent who aren't playing. Is our defense that complicated? Or better question, is it unecessarily complicated? If we simplify the defense we gain two things. Better talent on the field and players playing faster. Not sure what we are gaining by having a defense that takes some kids three years to learn. Especailly if we are going to give 500 yards a game.

We all know that a good teacher can get more kids to understand d complex material than a poor teacher can. So maybe the other possibility here is the coaching staff is doing a poor job of breaking the defensive schemes down into terms the players can understand.

The issue with football is they have limited time to teach and they players can't just know what to do, it must come quick or they will not be in position or ready when the ball is snapped. If players are thinking and not reacting during a play they are going to be slow and really not very good. Some positions are easier than others to learn and simplifying should help but doing so likely holds the rest of the defense hostage to what they can do. Like anything else some players will naturally pick things up quickly and others will be slower and need to put in more time. I have always been a believer that you keep it simple and do things really well, but in reality the higher the level of football it needs to be more complex.