SiouxSports.com Forum

What a win against EWU would mean

geaux_sioux

This is extremely hypothetical since I feel like EWU will cream UND. But lets just pretend that UND comes out of nowhere and wins. In order for that to happen we'd obviously have very few penalties and win the TO battle. So, if UND beats EWU does that change anything? Does Mussman still need to go if EWU goes down in front of the homecoming crowd or has the damage already been done? I realize it's a stretch to think about this being a possibility but I'm just curious what people would do/think if this actually happened.

I agree that the chances of this happening are slim to non. But I personally think it would just be a huge upset by a team that has nothing to lose, going up against a team that has beaten a top 25 FBS team, and surely has its sights on a national championship. Basically, I think the only way that UND could win is if they play an absolutely perfect game, and EWU completely overlooks UND and plays terrible. I don't see this happening as EWU has lost two close games in a row, on the road, to solid opponents, I think that they are going to see the UND game as a way to get back on track, and they are going to hungry. Could be a long game. But hypothetically, if a miracle happens, and UND finds a way to win, I still don't think it is enough of a reason to keep Muss, unless they somehow pull a 180 and win out the rest of the season.

If they beat EWU, the head coach stays. Simple as that. That would be the "signature" win people have been looking for, although its a team you'll be playing pretty much every year because they're in your conference.

I really feel there is no way that this team beats EWU. In victory this UND team has looked poor, and EWU can't afford to lose many more games with two losses already on their record.

Gosh....if UND beats EWU we could finish the year over .500......

This is extremely hypothetical since I feel like EWU will cream UND. But lets just pretend that UND comes out of nowhere and wins. In order for that to happen we'd obviously have very few penalties and win the TO battle. So, if UND beats EWU does that change anything? Does Mussman still need to go if EWU goes down in front of the homecoming crowd or has the damage already been done? I realize it's a stretch to think about this being a possibility but I'm just curious what people would do/think if this actually happened.

Good question - one worthy of dicsussion

I am a life-long Sioux fan and really hate to say it, but there is much I don't like about this team/program that isn't all won-loss. They are cocky without reason, they trash-talk, they take horrible penalties including unsportsman like conduct - 14 penalties in week 5 alone, and their sideline behavior is pathetic. To see some of them cock off you would think they were undefeated and chasing a third title in a row. Contrast their behavior and deportment to the Bison who once again got the job done under pressure. (on the field behavior) - I blame some of this on the assistants. I think Muss is not capable of leading, but position coaches who spend most of the week with their small group should carry some weight. You would think, for example, that the D-back coach would at some point tell his players to shut their pie holes, strap on their helmets, and go out and just get the job done. Hasn't happened yet. All we have done so far is beat one of the worst scholarship programs at our level by 3 points. In my opinion we win 7 this season and still have great cause to worry about this program.

• Upvote 3

I am a life-long Sioux fan and really hate to say it, but there is much I don't like about this team/program that isn't all won-loss. They are cocky without reason, they trash-talk, they take horrible penalties including unsportsman like conduct - 14 penalties in week 5 alone, and their sideline behavior is pathetic. To see some of them cock off you would think they were undefeated and chasing a third title in a row. Contrast their behavior and deportment to the Bison who once again got the job done under pressure. (on the field behavior) - I blame some of this on the assistants. I think Muss is not capable of leading, but position coaches who spend most of the week with their small group should carry some weight. You would think, for example, that the D-back coach would at some point tell his players to shut their pie holes, strap on their helmets, and go out and just get the job done. Hasn't happened yet. All we have done so far is beat one of the worst scholarship programs at our level by 3 points. In my opinion we win 7 this season and still have great cause to worry about this program.

So if UND wins.....? There are plenty of places to talk about the teams shortcommings. That's why I pulled this question out of my ass. It's a nice change of pace.

If I was a defensive back that got burned my entire career and was on the wrong end of a couple blowouts in my own building and on the road this year and years past I don't think I'd be jawing when I finally made a play against a bad team.

• Upvote 1

I am not one for liking the trash talk, I also don't like the horsing around on the sidelines and towel snapping and dancing BUT

if muss can somehow turn this season around to a 6-5 record or better I think he deserves another year....Those 2 losses better be competitive and now blown out.

I agree also on position coaches. they are not doing their job. muss should look at canning them before him self gets canned. Our QB play sucks. molberg was way overhyped and he is being put in a bad situation. he needs to grow first.

If I was a defensive back that got burned my entire career and was on the wrong end of a couple blowouts in my own building and on the road this year and years past I don't think I'd be jawing when I finally made a play against a bad team.

I wonder what they say when they are jawing and talking trash to the WR who has burned them the whole half and now they made on deflection and they start talking and jawing....maybe the DB's are trained to do it throw the WR off their game and get inside their head?

So if UND wins.....? There are plenty of places to talk about the teams shortcommings. That's why I pulled this question out of my ass. It's a nice change of pace.

If UND wins this could maybe be a jumpstart into a new attitude and belief in the team among players. It certainly would give players a sense that they have the talent and can win with discipline and hard work. In my opinion a win of this type is badly needed and could be a season-changer. For Muss, this would be the first step in a long time down the right path. I don't know if a win should save his job, but I think another blow-out would be disaster.

I don't think there's anyway we win 7 games this season. Be lucky to get 5 wins.

Let's talk about hypotheticals just as likely:

- President of the United States Mark Kauk (and VP "Gretzky").

- the Lamoureux twins move to Rome and are named co-Pope and co-captains of the Vatican womens Olympic hockey team

Possible, but a lot in the world we know would have to change significantly.

The league smelled blood in the water when MSU and UM thrashed UND. The pathetic showing at ISU did nothing to change that.

I'll go on record now: If UND beats EWU, UND wins out the season.

I am not one for liking the trash talk, I also don't like the horsing around on the sidelines and towel snapping and dancing BUT

if muss can somehow turn this season around to a 6-5 record or better I think he deserves another year....Those 2 losses better be competitive and now blown out.

I agree also on position coaches. they are not doing their job. muss should look at canning them before him self gets canned. Our QB play sucks. molberg was way overhyped and he is being put in a bad situation. he needs to grow first.

I wonder what they say when they are jawing and talking trash to the WR who has burned them the whole half and now they made on deflection and they start talking and jawing....maybe the DB's are trained to do it throw the WR off their game and get inside their head?

I'd like to try and keep this thread about a hypothetical scenario. Use the fire muss thread for your discussion or start a fire mackey thread.

• Upvote 1

7 and 4 would still be minimum expectation for me...hasn't changed since the schedule came out...if they go 7-4 with a win over EWU they probably make the playoffs.

I've seen enough of Mussman coached teams to know he needs to go. If, by some chance, EWU overlooks us and we win, nothing changes in my book. The only possible way I change my mind is if the team wins out and they do so the right way...meaning disciplined, assignment and fundamental sharp football.

• Upvote 1

If we miraculously pull off a win next weekend it buys Muss a chance. He and the team would then have to prove that the two blowout losses were the flukes and not the EWU win. That means either winning out and making the playoffs or losing just one more to finish at 7-4 and having a shot at the postseason. That would likely be enough to show that the the games against the Montana schools were something of a fluke. If we beat EWU but then get beat on the road by NAU or someone else and lose another at home he's still gone. Making the playoffs, in my opinion, is the only thing that should be able to save Muss's job now and if he's at the helm of a 3rd straight home blowout loss he shouldn't make it out of the building on Saturday with a job.

I've seen enough of Mussman coached teams to know he needs to go. If, by some chance, EWU overlooks us and we win, nothing changes in my book. The only possible way I change my mind is if the team wins out and they do so the right way...meaning disciplined, assignment and fundamental sharp football.

This...^^^^^^^^!