SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Admittingly I haven't looked too much up on the candidates that applied today. Cummings looks quite intriguing, a bright spot would be that he just coached up Eric Fischer who was the #1 pick in the 2013 NFL went to the Chiefs. Andrus looks descent but he has been all over the place. He should have alot of contacts for assistants. Then Bubba is there as well, who brings a pretty good resume if we want to go back to the good 'ol boy network. Is it weird if Pflugrad is still probably my top choice?

Admittingly I haven't looked too much up on the candidates that applied today. Cummings looks quite intriguing, a bright spot would be that he just coached up Eric Fischer who was the #1 pick in the 2013 NFL went to the Chiefs. Andrus looks descent but he has been all over the place. He should have alot of contacts for assistants. Then Bubba is there as well, who brings a pretty good resume if we want to go back to the good 'ol boy network. Is it weird if Pflugrad is still probably my top choice?

Not in the least.

Pflugrad is still my favorite. He's won the Big Sky before and has FBS recruiting coordinator experience. Cummings and Schweigart, two who applied today, are the other two I really like.

Get settled in and comfortable folks.

I'm hearing Faison's going to be doing calls and interviews and my "Thursday at 2 pm" will be right, but in which week in December is the question.

So obviously he isn't in a hurry to get this thing done...not sure why though.

If you take out the clowns who applied for the "15 mins of Fame" reasons, what is everybody's perception of the quality of applicants at this point? Middle of the pack or heavily weighted to the high end or less than stellar? Does anyone have any opinion on the quantity as well given the amount of time involved already in the opening - should it be larger or is the quantity higher than most thought would apply?

Is it safe to assume that if the Bison don't promote an assistant to the HC role that they will be going through this 30 day period of torture? It will be interesting to see what candidates apply for NDSU vs UND and contrary to most opinions on this page, I kinda like the transparency deal as it makes it easy to see who is applying!

If you take out the clowns who applied for the "15 mins of Fame" reasons, what is everybody's perception of the quality of applicants at this point? Middle of the pack or heavily weighted to the high end or less than stellar? Does anyone have any opinion on the quantity as well given the amount of time involved already in the opening - should it be larger or is the quantity higher than most thought would apply?

less than stellar and what sucks is if you look at the applicants the university 75 miles south of here will get it will look even more less than stellar in the coming days or weeks.

I was intrigued enough to do some research on the Iowa State Applicant, Bill Bleil, who coaches tight ends at Iowa State under Paul Roads. After further review, it appears he might have 'issues' getting hired at UND.

http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2013/4/10/4210512/iowa-state-announces-major-ncaa-violations

Documents were released this afternoon that deemed Iowa State's NCAA violations to be "major violations". According the Ames Tribune, 1,484 impermissible phone calls were made, with 1,405 of the total calls involving coaches not properly logging their calls. Six football and basketball coaches were named in the report: football assistants Shane Burnham and Bill Bleil, as well as former football assistants Luke Wells and Bob Elliott, and former basketball assistants Daniyal Robinson and Keith "Lefty" Moore.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/996577-how-mark-speir-needs-to-re-make-western-carolina-football

After Hodgin, Bill Bleil took the reins of the WCU football program from 1997-2001, getting fired abruptly after some "off-the-field issues" concerning his team. One of his players, Toren Gordon, even faced a second-degree murder charge.

I was intrigued enough to do some research on the Iowa State Applicant, Bill Bleil, who coaches tight ends at Iowa State under Paul Roads. After further review, it appears he might have 'issues' getting hired at UND.

http://www.wideright...ncaa-violations

http://bleacherrepor...rolina-football

Yup, if Pflu is out, I don't see how Bleil can be seriously considered, either.

I'm hearing Faison's going to be doing calls and interviews and my "Thursday at 2 pm" will be right, but in which week in December is the question.

Cripes.

Hopefully he's being especially deliberative because he's trying to convince someone else to apply.

1. Cummings

2. Pflugrad

3. Bubba

4. Dewitt

I think that Andrus should be on that list somewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if Mills or Tuitele got a little bit more of a look. Would like Hoffner to be looked at for OC.

Stephen Axman's name hasn't go much play, but he has some Big Sky ties, including head coach of NAU from 1990-1997.

Mike Bath appears to be an up-and-comer though much of his experience is with Miami (OH) so not sure on how well he could fill out a staff. But reading about him, he is young, driven and pretty dedicated. Makes my list but would guess he would go back to Miami in heartbeat.

Michael Kelly is also intriguing.

I think it's tough to judge because most Division I schools don't go through this type of dog and pony show when hiring a head football coach. Normally, the AD has a short list in his head at all times and he goes and finds his guy without all this nonsense.

• Upvote 3

Cripes.

Hopefully he's being especially deliberative because he's trying to convince someone else to apply.

I think you're right. With the job description written the way it was and how nobody who has applied really fits that description. Also knowing how Faison/Hak handled the Berry hiring last year, I assume you are spot on. He wrote the job description with someone in mind and he's not biting.

Hearing deicison will be made tom morning.

Gotta love the conflicting info from sources on this board :)