SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

And brooks Doesn't have any of that experience....although a year or two of head coaching high school?....his greatest asset to UND fans..."we know who he is."

Not one person would be mentioning him if he wasn't from gf....numerous other coaches have the same or better credentials.

I disagree. If you were talking about a potential coach that had:
  • starting QB in the Big Ten and won two Rose Bowls
  • spent a number of years playing in the NFL
  • head HS coach
  • two years as QB coach at FBS school
  • named by one site as top assistent in the Big East

you should have interest regardless of what his name is. The fact that he has local ties and should be able to recruit in the surrounding states is another bonus.

• Upvote 1

Does it have to be a qb? Does it have to be the big ten what about the sec?

Lots of high school coaches. Probably about 15,000+ "former high school coach" probably 50,000+

Lots of FCS/FBS/NFL assistants (and most probably started coaching hs or just were on a much faster track)

I don't think Nick Sabin played in the NFL or coached a high school.

Lots of high school coaches. Probably about 15,000+ "former high school coach" probably 50,000+

Lots of FCS/FBS/NFL assistants (and most probably started coaching hs or just were on a much faster track)

Saban went from playing college to being a graduate assistant at Kent State

Not saying any of those are requirements. You said not one person would be mentioning him if he wasn't from gf. I was pointing out some qualifications he has that might make some people intersted in him. I guess those would get my attention if an applicant had that background. If you can get Nick Sabin to come to UND I say lets go for it.

And brooks Doesn't have any of that experience....although a year or two of head coaching high school?....his greatest asset to UND fans..."we know who he is."

Not one person would be mentioning him if he wasn't from gf....numerous other coaches have the same or better credentials.

Part of recruiting this area is getting someone who can relate and is known. The example of Lennon in SIU is a good one. Another coach with simar qualifications/experiences as Brooks might not be a big deal here but would be attractive elsewhere. That is part of the deal.

Not saying any of those are requirements. You said not one person would be mentioning him if he wasn't from gf.

Sorta like not one person mentioning Brian Ferentz. He played at a Big Ten school, played in the NFL, Coached in the nfl, and is currently a position coach at a big ten school in Iowa so he also is familiar with the area.

Why has no one mentioned him (or numerous others with the same "qualifications")?

(hint: no _____D connection)

• Upvote 1

If someone doesn't think Bollinger would be a great candidate I don't think they understand leadership. Don't equate an opinion that he is a great candidate with an opinion that he would be the only candidate. Bollinger is a quality guy. He is smart and he is a proven leader. He has experience at multiple levels and knows the type of talent needed. It has been a long time since I was a position coach at UND, or a recruiter but the important fundamentals of leadership, organization, communication, integrity and credibility remain. He also has experience working with today's student athletes. If anyone doesn't believe a guy with Bollinger's experience and success at Wisconsin and professional fb and immediate coaching success at hs and college level doesn't make him a top candidate then you don't understand college fb. or coaching. He will be successful. The fact he is from gf is irrelevant. He would have immediate credibility with athletes and coaches. I don't know he is even interested.

• Upvote 1

Sorta like not one person mentioning Brian Ferentz. He played at a Big Ten school, played in the NFL, Coached in the nfl, and is currently a position coach at a big ten school in Iowa so he also is familiar with the area.

Why has no one mentioned him (or numerous others with the same "qualifications")?

(hint: no _____D connection)

Think he'll apply?

If someone doesn't think Bollinger would be a great candidate I don't think they understand leadership. Don't equate an opinion that he is a great candidate with an opinion that he would be the only candidate. Bollinger is a quality guy. He is smart and he is a proven leader. He has experience at multiple levels and knows the type of talent needed. It has been a long time since I was a position coach at UND, or a recruiter but the important fundamentals of leadership, organization, communication, integrity and credibility remain. He also has experience working with today's student athletes. If anyone doesn't believe a guy with Bollinger's experience and success at Wisconsin and professional fb and immediate coaching success at hs and college level doesn't make him a top candidate then you don't understand college fb. or coaching. He will be successful. The fact he is from gf is irrelevant. He would have immediate credibility with athletes and coaches. I don't know he is even interested.

So because he was a quarterback makes him a good leader? Bollinger was a carrier backup in the NFL, and the only year you could say he was a starter he wasn't very good.

So because he was a quarterback makes him a good leader? Bollinger was a carrier backup in the NFL, and the only year you could say he was a starter he wasn't very good.

How good was Bill Parcells at football? Bear Bryant? Nick Saban never even played in the NFL and played at Kent St, not exactly a starter in multiple Rose Bowls. Remember Jim Tressel as a player? Yea, me neither. If you can coach you can coach, if you can play you can play.

No, it's the other way around. The fact that he is a great leader made him a good quarterback. He was with the jets when they were terrible. He started a game for the Vikings and one for the Cowboys. He was a decent back up in the nfl. He has had instant success as a high school head coach and college assistant. Funny to think cuz he wasn't nfl star he wouldn't be a good coach. He will be an excellent coach whatever level he is cuz of the man he is. His experiences at Wisconsin, the NFL, turning around a hs program at Hill Murray, and coaching at Pitt only enhance his abilities. I don't know about the Vikes or Jets but he was respected by his teammates in Dallas. Maybe they have lower expectations than some of our bloggers.

there is a bust factor with any candidate. i agree the upside is huge with Brooks. I am totally amazed that some are questioning Brooks as inexperienced. He was raised by a college football coach. that is where he gained the poise to be a great college player at Wiscosin and smart enough to play as a backup on 6 years in the NFL.

He will be a good recruiter and will hire the right coaches for the defense.

there is a bust factor with any candidate. i agree the upside is huge with Brooks. I am totally amazed that some are questioning Brooks as inexperienced. He was raised by a college football coach. that is where he gained the poise to be a great college player at Wiscosin and smart enough to play as a backup on 6 years in the NFL.

He will be a good recruiter and will hire the right coaches for the defense.

This is one time that I think North Dakota's open record laws really don't help the situation, in the hiring a coach of a major sport. Coach's wait until the very end to apply, and I wonder if the media having all that access isn't detrimental to negotiating with a coach when the time comes?

I think on these early lists there are maybe 1 or 2 legitimate candidates but I really do agree that we will only see a majority of the prime candidates close to the deadline.

I disagree. If you were talking about a potential coach that had:

• starting QB in the Big Ten and won two Rose Bowls
  • spent a number of years playing in the NFL
  • head HS coach
  • two years as QB coach at FBS school
  • named by one site as top assistent in the Big East

you should have interest regardless of what his name is. The fact that he has local ties and should be able to recruit in the surrounding states is another bonus.

What you just mentioned is really not significant. First off, the playing experience does NOTHING for his coaching credentials. He has less than two years FBS experience, that's the only way to put it. Also, the top assistant in the ACC thing was apart of a subjective article done on ESPN. I wouldn't read too much into that.

I agree that Bollinger is nothing more than a familiar name that we are hoping will give UND a hometown discount. He shouldn't be a top candidate. I would even argue Montana State's Jamie Marshall is a better candidate.

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to Bollinger but there are better candidates in my opinion. I don't believe anyone when they say he couldn't be a bust; he absolutely could be a bust because he has no college head coaching experience!!

• Upvote 3

What you just mentioned is really not significant. First off, the playing experience does NOTHING for his coaching credentials. He has less than two years FBS experience, that's the only way to put it. Also, the top assistant in the ACC thing was apart of a subjective article done on ESPN. I wouldn't read too much into that.

I agree that Bollinger is nothing more than a familiar name that we are hoping will give UND a hometown discount. He shouldn't be a top candidate. I would even argue Montana State's Jamie Marshall is a better candidate.

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to Bollinger but there are better candidates in my opinion. I don't believe anyone when they say he couldn't be a bust; he absolutely could be a bust because he has no college head coaching experience!!

I don't want a head coach that failed at the FBS level either.

I was responding to a statement that he wouldn't be getting any interest if he wasn't from GF. I still disagree. Being from the area is a reason he might be interested in the job and there are plenty of reasons to consider him as a candidtate. All of the things I listed are reasons he would have credibility with a HS recruit and maybe enough relevent experience. I know I would have been pretty impressed when I was being recruited.

I am not sure he is the top candidate but should be considered if he applies. To say we should have no interest in him is foolish.

• Upvote 1