SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Either or both of these guys might be great coaches here - but I'll say it again - I am amazed that a "National Search" and our AD "using all of his vast contacts" only produces two guys who are on the staff of a previous coach. I am also amazed that more people here aren't upset about it or about the endless process that happened to produce this result. Could we be any more small town thinkers?

Can you really have it both ways?

If DeBoer didn't embarrass UND he wouldn't have been considered.

If Bubba wasn't at UND he wouldn't be considered.

If there were ten applicants had better resumes than DeBoer, I wonder how many more applicants would have had better resumes than Bubba?

Bubba is one of the ten. Was he the best applicant? No, he wasn't my first choice of the 72, just my preference of the final two. The 15 years he spent here should not be the main reason he gets considered. And the one day that DeBoer spent here should not be the main reason he is considered.

Like I said either guy will get my support. Either one will surely be an upgrade. I think one is more of a proven commodity than the other, that's all.

Either or both of these guys might be great coaches here - but I'll say it again - I am amazed that a "National Search" and our AD "using all of his vast contacts" only produces two guys who are on the staff of a previous coach. I am also amazed that more people here aren't upset about it or about the endless process that happened to produce this result. Could we be any more small town thinkers?

Faisons never said anything about his "vast network." What did you want him to say a "Regional Search"? You are really nitpicking small s**t.

It's always easy to say "No" to someone. Who should have Brian Faison hired of who applied? I will easily find faults with that guy too.

Bubba is one of the ten.

I think one is more of a proven commodity than the other, that's all.

Can't happen because based on "resume" DeBoers is better. Better offense than bubbas d at Sui and a better head coaching resume.

Only difference is DeBoer didn't stop to be an assistant at a D2 school like bubba. His career path is moving on an upward path faster.

Faisons never said anything about his "vast network." What did you want him to say a "Regional Search"? You are really nitpicking small s**t.

It's always easy to say "No" to someone. Who should have Brian Faison hired of who applied? I will easily find faults with that guy too.

Don't think this is small **** at all - we are emerging from a serious black hole for Sioux football that most think will take several more years to dig out of - our next hire is crucial - I'm not trying to nitpick the language used, I'm frustrated with the process.

Can't happen because based on "resume" DeBoers is better. Better offense than bubbas d at Sui and a better head coaching resume.

Only difference is DeBoer didn't stop to be an assistant at a D2 school like bubba. His career path is moving on an upward path faster.

I disagree. I think Schweigerts resume is far more impressive.

I really think we are going to miss out on DeBoer if in fact Bubba is the one. Maybe DeBoer will come with him here but I just don't see that. We are all just stuck in the past hoping for Bubba to bring back the defense that we had back in the day. I am all for hiring a defensive-minded coach but Bubba just doesn't seem to have the HC "it" factor in my mind. I really do hope that whoever it is that is hired succeeds here but I just think that DeBoer has a better chance of succeeding.

Can I ask the specifics? I'm guessing cause he led great UND defenses when he was here? Mussman led great UND offenses too. Or do we give both those credits to Lennon?

But DeBoer led great teams over numerous years (regardless of division) I would think people would say that's more impressive.

If anything i would say its a wash.

It's really hard to gauge how good a head coach would be based on being assistants or coordinators. It's more of a gamble so, My #1 criteria for hiring a head coach is proven good/great head coaching experience (see Dean Blais coaching high school when hired at UND) regardless of level.

I'm just no so sure this job is as "high profile" as some of us Sioux fans would like to believe. And with the whole open public records law I'd be surprised if that didn't keep plenty of coaches from applying. And what would a true "national search" do for us? What does a guy from North Carolina or Florida or Louisiana (for example) know about North Dakota football? Or about the recruits in this area? With that being said, I'm not saying I'm leaning towards someone with UND ties (Bubba), but you have to be realistic about the position. We ARE in a dark place right now as the program has simply fluttered and add to that the success of the program to the south. Some coaches might look at it from a glass is half full prospective in that they can turn things around and leave their mark at UND, but others simply won't. And if the salary posted isn't enough for some coaches to even look at the position, what would make a coach who lives half way across the country want to uproot their family and move up to North Dakota? I think either coach will be fine, but to be upset with Faison for not finding someone other than the two because you don't think he worked hard enough is silly. You can't hire someone who doesn't apply.

It's really hard to gauge how good a head coach would be based on being assistants or coordinators. It's more of a gamble so, My #1 criteria for hiring a head coach is proven good/great head coaching experience (see Dean Blais coaching high school when hired at UND) regardless of level.

or Gus Bradley, Rod Carey, Craig Bohl, ect...... (and many others)

Can I ask the specifics? I'm guessing cause he led great UND defenses when he was here? Mussman led great UND offenses too. Or do we give both those credits to Lennon?

But DeBoer led great teams over numerous years (regardless of division) I would think people would say that's more impressive.

If anything i would say its a wash.

Mainly just the fact that has many more years of successful experience both as an assistant and HC at different levels.

What disqualifies Bubba in your eyes, other than the fact he is a former employee of UND?