SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Bubba use to be a NAIA defensive coordinator too.

Yeah, and then he went DII coordinator, DII head coach, and DI FCS coordinator....

Bottom line is Bubba is way more experienced than Morrell. If Morrell comes in as position coach, then I'm fine with it, but not defensive coordinator.

We're not DII anymore!! If you want to hire local boys with minimal to no DI experience all the time, then UND football will stay right where it has been - a mediocre FCS team. Need proven leaders and recruiters at the DI LEVEL. The proof is all around the country if anyone cares to look. For example, one institution is just 70 miles south.

Guys that can coach don't have to have FBS or NFL experience to be good. Good, Great and Bad coaches work at all levels of football. I really don't understand why people don't get it. Art Briles stepped out of HS and built UH back into a winning program. Kevin Sumlin is good but a lot his success is due to what Briles did before him. Gus Malzahn seems to be doing OK and it wasn't long ago he was a HS coach that was given a chance. Brian Kelly is a great coach that someone had to take a shot on at one point or another because he was just a very successful D2 coach.

I am not saying he would or would not be a good DC but I do know that you have zero idea.

Where have you been the past five years? Yes there are exceptions, but DI experience is very crucial. DI is a different animal compared to DII, not just on the field but off it in terms of recruiting competition. To think all coaches work at all levels..that's an incredibly ignorant statement. You think a long time winning high school coach in North Dakota could do wonders at UND? I'll give you the answer: No.

Malzahn coached for a long time at a high school in Arkansas, where high school football is a lot more intense than around here, and he had long term success. Than he went to OC and won a NC before getting a HC job.

Kelly is not a good example for your point at all. He did the common ladder climb like most coaches. Grand Valley State assistant, then Grand Valley HC, and then jump to FBS HC at Central Michigan - be comparable to DeBoer if he gets the job.

Where have you been the past five years? Yes there are exceptions, but DI experience is very crucial. DI is a different animal compared to DII, not just on the field but off it in terms of recruiting competition. To think all coaches work at all levels..that's an incredibly ignorant statement. You think a long time winning high school coach in North Dakota could do wonders at UND? I'll give you the answer: No.

Malzahn coached for a long time at a high school in Arkansas, where high school football is a lot more intense than around here, and he had long term success. Than he went to OC and won a NC before getting a HC job.

Kelly is not a good example for your point at all. He did the common ladder climb like most coaches. Grand Valley State assistant, then Grand Valley HC, and then jump to FBS HC at Central Michigan - be comparable to DeBoer if he gets the job.

Dean Blais was coaching High School Hockey when he was named UNDs head hockey coach.

Can you imagine Faison naming a current high school football coach the head man of UND football right now?! Even if he had been an assistant coach at UND five years ago?

You think a jump from NAIA head coach among other things to FCS Coordinator is a bigger jump then a D2 head coach getting a FBS head job?

Some of these things are only exceptions because people in charge some places have attitudes like yourself. FBS or NFL experience is not a pre requisite to finding a great coach. I since I lived and coached in TX for 10 years I have a pretty good idea about how it works with intense high school football.

Why I like DeBoer is because running his own team at USF he has great track record. When a coach is a coordinator he is subordinate to the head coach which may limit what you see from them. The only really telling thing to me about DeBoer and what he would be like as a head coach is what success he had as a head coach in the past. Mack Brown ruined a lot of good coordinators and coaches at UT with the foolish way he ran things.

Personally I don't care who the assistant coaches with the exception of I believe the head coach should be the one hiring and firing them because he will know best what he needs in a coaching staff. Without that type of control I think any coach would be set up to fail.

Around... Not Crucial but likely helpful... BS, football is football and just because someone has coached at another level doesn't mean they can't recruit.... When did I say "all coaches" oh wait, I didn't!... A lot of great coaches work at different levels of football FBS doesn't have the exclusive rights to good college coaching... I would say that in most cases a HS coach wouldn't work out but I wouldn't exclude someone based upon a stereotype that all HS coaches couldn't do a good job.

Around... Not Crucial but likely helpful... BS, football is football and just because someone has coached at another level doesn't mean they can't recruit.... When did I say "all coaches" oh wait, I didn't!... A lot of great coaches work at different levels of football FBS doesn't have the exclusive rights to good college coaching... I would say that in most cases a HS coach wouldn't work out but I wouldn't exclude someone based upon a stereotype that all HS coaches couldn't do a good job.

Any high school coach that could work out would be above our pay grade. Most of those big time high school coaches already make more than what UND would pay.

The fact is that Faison has already set the program even further back with how he's handled this coaching hire. If the rumors are true and Golladay has left along with the contributors that have already been confirmed to have left, then the new coach will be coming into a program where the cupboard is essentially bare. Faison has completely <removed> this up by taking as long as he did. There is no way a coaching search like this should have taken this long. If Faison needed to get it declared an emergency hire then he should have and not doing it is inexcusable. It's what Taylor would have done, and ultimately the only people who would have been upset about not following the process would have been some fat-assed bloggers and a few legislators who are generally considered mentally unstable. There would have been literally no repercussions.

If the speculation on this board turns out correct and either Schweigert or DeBoer ends up with the job, then it's just further evidence that Faison and Kelly aren't serious about the football program and need to be replaced.

• Upvote 4

There are plenty of high school head coaches across the country that are more than qualified to coach at any college level and there are also college coaches that should not be coaching at the college level (Tim Brewster comes to mind). Just because you are a D-III or high school coach, doesn't mean that you don't know the game as well or how to teach, game plan or handle personalities. People get so wrapped up on which level someone has been coaching, but I am more interested in if they understand how to run a program, create positive relationships with players/recruits and game plan for their next opponent. Many high school coaches choose not to move beyond high school for various reasons (most because they don't want to be uproot their family).

• Upvote 1

Any high school coach that could work out would be above our pay grade. Most of those big time high school coaches already make more than what UND would pay.

Not true unless things have changed greatly in the last two or three years. I lived and worked in Seattle about 5 or 6 years ago which was just after they shut down or limited booster pay to HS coaches. The highest paid coach before that was at Bellevue High School (really good program) and he made 100K a year all paid by boosters. He didn't teach, just coached football. In Texas, which I have spent 10 of the last 12 years they will actually post a list of the highest paid educational staff in the newspaper and the Athletic Coordinator/Head Football Coach tend to be high on the list but I never saw anyone listed over 110K.