SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

All I'm saying is that if Pflugrad got screened out by bean counters in the HR Dept. before the app made it to people who know football, then that's criminal and UND will need to address it's hiring practices.

Couldn't agree more - It's probably been posted, but I would love to know who is on the HR committee and their contact info.

Again...if a national search lands Bubba as the top pick this program will be better off than with Muss...but barely. Welcome to Big Sky mediocrity.

And on a side note SU won't miss a beat w Klieman.

You're exactly right. We'll be stuck in the bottom of the BSC for hiring a ghost of the past and Gene is making the right moves. When do the #FireBubba posts start?

You'd be fine with hiring a guy with a .500 record as a head coach, mediocre FCS coordinator success, and no FBS experience over someone who was scapegoated, never charged with a formal crime, and led a Big Sky team to the FCS playoff semi-finals just two years ago?

That mindset is troubling. It's reliance on the idea we can only hire coaches with close connections to the program that will ultimately never get this program anywhere. Eventually this athletic department has to get ambitious and hire a legitimate DI head coach candidate. Otherwise UND will continue to be only a hockey school during the DI era.

That's a top ten post right there. I trust Faison will make the right decision.

• Upvote 1

Again...if a national search lands Bubba as the top pick this program will be better off than with Muss...but barely. Welcome to Big Sky mediocrity.

And on a side note SU won't miss a beat w Klieman.

Pretty sad if bubba gets the job...plenty more qualified applications...but it's ok because he's a "UND guy."

Roll eyes.

How do you know that's why Tibesar didn't take the position? Is that the same for Bollinger?

And Pflugrad was on Weber State's staff for only one year. Even though Weber didn't hire Pflugrad, they did hire a long-time Utah assistant with plenty of FBS experience. Thinking the coach they hired is more qualified than Pflugrad is perfectly rational.

However, hiring a FCS coordinator with no FBS experience is questionable.

Unless your Tibesar, I know nothing more than you. I would assume since the NFL is the pinnacle of playing, and coaching, he's not coming back to UND. As for BB, there have been multiple ideas why he's not interested stated.

Pflugard should have at least been a finalist at Weber and wasn't.

So is this HR points system objective or subjective? I'd think the whole purpose of using the HR point system to determine the finalists is to make the process objective when it comes to creating a list of finalists, then the hiring person can use subjectivity in ultimately making the hire. If my assumption is correct, how in the world is Pflugrad not on the final 9? There are not 9 applicants objectively more qualified than he is. I dare anyone to make that case. Fightingbooya, you can argue that UND should not hire Pflugrad, but you're missing the point. If Pflugrad is not going to get the job, it should be FAISON making a SUBJECTIVE call on him based on the NCAA issues. Pflugrad in no way shape or form should be screened out by the HR points system.

The most frustrating thing about this hiring process is learning that it's mostly University policy and not State law. It's very disappointing to see UND place itself at a disadvantage to every other peer University out there. It's not just the time consuming process, but the fact that AD does not appear to have total control over the hiring process. That is very disappointing.

Someone mentioned that you can't blame Faison for the process. That depends. Did he do everything in his power to try to get it changed before he had to make a hire in a high-profile sport? If so, then you can't blame him. If not, then he should share in the blame. Faison has hired enough coaches to know the system and to know that it would be problematic when hiring a head football coach. I know it's not unilaterally up to him to change the system, but I hope he did everything he could to try to exempt the athletic department from this system. The system may be great for hiring a chemistry professor, but it makes zero sense in the athletic department.

• Upvote 2

So is this HR points system objective or subjective? I'd think the whole purpose of using the HR point system to determine the finalists is to make the process objective when it comes to creating a list of finalists, then the hiring person can use subjectivity in ultimately making the hire. If my assumption is correct, how in the world is Pflugrad not on the final 9? There are not 9 applicants objectively more qualified than he is. I dare anyone to make that case. Fightingbooya, you can argue that UND should not hire Pflugrad, but you're missing the point. If Pflugrad is not going to get the job, it should be FAISON making a SUBJECTIVE call on him based on the NCAA issues. Pflugrad in no way shape or form should be screened out by the HR points system.

The most frustrating thing about this hiring process is learning that it's mostly University policy and not State law. It's very disappointing to see UND place itself at a disadvantage to every other peer University out there. It's not just the time consuming process, but the fact that AD does not appear to have total control over the hiring process. That is very disappointing.

Someone mentioned that you can't blame Faison for the process. That depends. Did he do everything in his power to try to get it changed before he had to make a hire in a high-profile sport? If so, then you can't blame him. If not, then he should share in the blame. Faison has hired enough coaches to know the system and to know that it would be problematic when hiring a head football coach. I know it's not unilaterally up to him to change the system, but I hope he did everything he could to try to exempt the athletic department from this system. The system may be great for hiring a chemistry professor, but it makes zero sense in the athletic department.

Don't underestimate the power of the PC crowd at UND. I'm surpirsed that they haven't insisted on "gender balancing".

Exactly, I understand if someone prefers somebody other than Pflugrad to get the job, but there is no argument to the fact that he is most certainly one of the 9 best candidates that have applied.

You'd be fine with hiring a guy with a .500 record as a head coach, mediocre FCS coordinator success, and no FBS experience over someone who was scapegoated, never charged with a formal crime, and led a Big Sky team to the FCS playoff semi-finals just two years ago?

That mindset is troubling. It's reliance on the idea we can only hire coaches with close connections to the program that will ultimately never get this program anywhere. Eventually this athletic department has to get ambitious and hire a legitimate DI head coach candidate. Otherwise UND will continue to be only a hockey school during the DI era.

I probably should have put in that my number 1 choice is still Marshall from MSU. That said, I really have no problem with Bubba. As others pointed out, why didn't Weber grab Pflu if he's such a good candidate?

And really, there is nothing wrong with Bubba.

I'm on record for wanting Bubba...or Pflu or Caruso. That being said, if you think this program has bottomed out now, hire someone like Mills with no real ties to the program or area and see him go 2-3 wins each year for a couple years. And you think no one is at the Alerus now? Funeral home.

Sad, but true. Never heard about USC, or Washington's HR departments making up a point system for their recent coaching hires.

Unfortunately, that is our bush-league D2 style hiring process for a FB coach. This is the same process they went through to hire Lennon back in 1999. Search committee, long length of time, etc.

Sad, but true. Never heard about USC HR department making up a point system for their recent coaching hires.

That's because the USC AD knew Sark was his top choice before he fired Kiffin. I question if Faison ever had a top choice...and if it was Tibs...really? Odds of that hire were minimal at best from the start.

I have heard from many people that Faison is not overly fond of the good old boy UND FB network. That tells me we will more than likely be seeing an outsider being named.

With all due respect what a load of crap. Who are these "good old boy" guys??? I played at UND, coached a little at UND, and have been a faithful donor for many years. I know former players and former coaches. We have a network to keep each other informed when there is a former player or family in need. We get together once per year to play golf in MSP. We have started and support scholarships independent of what we do as individuals. We also support UND hockey, basketball, VB, track, baseball and academics. Faison hasn't asked me or others that I know what we think. How do I join the "good old boy UND FB " network? These are ignorant comments from people who have no idea what UND athletics is about and make insulting comments because just like me the powers that be aren't going to involve us in the decision. The UND FB alumni are some of the most supportive alumni we have. I find these comments insulting and ignorance or drunk isn't an excuse.

• Upvote 1

With all due respect what a load of crap. Who are these "good old boy" guys??? I played at UND, coached a little at UND, and have been a faithful donor for many years. I know former players and former coaches. We have a network to keep each other informed when there is a former player or family in need. We get together once per year to play golf in MSP. We have started and support scholarships independent of what we do as individuals. We also support UND hockey, basketball, VB, track, baseball and academics. Faison hasn't asked me or others that I know what we think. How do I join the "good old boy UND FB " network? These are ignorant comments from people who have no idea what UND athletics is about and make insulting comments because just like me the powers that be aren't going to involve us in the decision. The UND FB alumni are some of the most supportive alumni we have. I find these comments insulting and ignorance or drunk isn't an excuse.

I am not saying anything bad about the former UND coaches, I know them all. Relax. What I am saying is he does not feel like he has to appease the masses by hiring from the UND network - what some on here refer to as the "good old boy" network. That is why I termed it that. He has been said to want to hire his own guy, his own stamp on the program that would bring in fresh blood.

Also, I am not saying he is right. Just passing along what I heard, and its reliable.

I've just been browsing the past few pages but do we have the actual, official list of 9 applicants? If not, then why is everyone assuming the people that aren't on it? There have been a ton of rumors and even more bitching during the past couple of weeks and yet the only official info we know is who the official applicants are.

Just weird how many people are criticizing Faison when all everyone is operating off are rumors.

Yeah I think its a little disconcerting that people trash the only championship winning coach in und history.

Who is trashing anybody? Read the posts. Mine was about what Faison has been "rumored" to be thinking. Has nothing to do with the qualities and history of our coaches.