SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

Couldn't disagree more. I'm enjoying it more than I even thought I would. We belong with Big Ten schools a hell of a lot more than we do the likes of Neb Omaha, Alaska frickin Anchorage, etc.

And the Gophers finally have a chance of winning a Big 10 championship which wouldn't happen without hockey. Although I do smell a Beef O' Brady's bowl game victory around the corner. So you have that going for you, which is nice.

• Upvote 2

Couldn't disagree more. I'm enjoying it more than I even thought I would. We belong with Big Ten schools a hell of a lot more than we do the likes of Neb Omaha, Alaska frickin Anchorage, etc.

So why are you hanging out on this board all the time. I would think you would be hanging out on all the Big Ten message boards.

• Upvote 1

Mariucci, you never answered my question (and it was a serious one - perhaps you didn't see it earlier on this thread) about the North Star tournament...do you have any insight as to how the rotation system was set up and how the schedule worked out?

I know the system is set up where one of the three schools not named Minnesota "falls off" the rotation for the yearly tournament. In a perfect system, my thought is that the team that went 0-2 would be the team that should be replaced the following year, but that's just my opinion.

Mariucci, you never answered my question (and it was a serious one - perhaps you didn't see it earlier on this thread) about the North Star tournament...do you have any insight as to how the rotation system was set up and how the schedule worked out?

I know the system is set up where one of the three schools not named Minnesota "falls off" the rotation for the yearly tournament. In a perfect system, my thought is that the team that went 0-2 would be the team that should be replaced the following year, but that's just my opinion.

That would make scheduling difficult, though. A school wouldn't know if they have an open weekend until only a year in advance. Then they'd have to scramble to find more games to add in.

Next year Bemidji joins in and St. Cloud sits out. They must have just established a rotation.

I'm not positive but I think this is how it works. Whichever team is not included in the North Star Cup that season will get a home series vs the Gophers and this year that was Bemidji. And because the Gophers had scheduled series' this year versus Mankato and UMD, that means St Cloud plays the Gophers in a semi final thus insuring that the four other Div 1 programs in the state will play Minnesota every year.

Again I'm not positive but pretty sure that's how they do it.

That would make scheduling difficult, though. A school wouldn't know if they have an open weekend until only a year in advance. Then they'd have to scramble to find more games to add in.

I'm aware that that's a major issue but it's too bad it couldn't work out.

Now only if the U of MN could raise their academics to the rest of the league's level.

From USNews 2013 National Rankings: (National Ranking)

Northwestern (12)

Michigan (29)

Wisconsin (41)

Penn State (46)

Illinois (46)

Ohio State (56)

Maryland (58)

Purdue (65)

Rutgers (68)

Minnesota (68)

Michigan State (72)

Iowa (72)

Indiana (83)

Nebraska (101)

Hardly pal. The U's academics are right where they need to be for a Big Ten school. There's hardly a difference between 56(OSU) and the U at 68 nationally. You're trying to hard and failing miserably.

We were talking about Big 10 hockey, Where they are ahead of only one school. If it is not so important then why is the UM always talking about taking their academics to a higher level?

On a nchc school's message board. Wouldn't you be happier on a message board of the likes of penn st or ohio st?

I think he knows that the NCHC has members that are hockey first schools, unlike the Big Ten, thus this is where he can gain knowledge! ;)

• Upvote 1

I'm not positive but I think this is how it works. Whichever team is not included in the North Star Cup that season will get a home series vs the Gophers and this year that was Bemidji. And because the Gophers had scheduled series' this year versus Mankato and UMD, that means St Cloud plays the Gophers in a semi final thus insuring that the four other Div 1 programs in the state will play Minnesota every year.

Again I'm not positive but pretty sure that's how they do it.

That's 100% correct. The team not included gets a home series against the Gophs. The two teams in the opposite side of the bracket from the Gophs travel to Mariucci. The team that plays them in the first game gets nothing more. The 4 teams in the tourney get to split the revenues.

Everyone is happy. The state schools get to split money when the Gophers are involved (which is a windfall for us all). The Gophers get 2 home series a year in which they don't have to play return dates and get 1 very inexpensive travel date per year. And the state schools get to have a home series with the Gophers every 4 years which again is a financial windfall. It's NOT perfect, but everyone does get something out of it. It's not the state schools giving in and playing just for 'the privilege" of playing the Gophers and it's certainly not the Gophers doing it out of the goodness of their heart. This whole thing is about money. Nothing more, nothing less. It may become a bigger deal in the future (and everyone hopes it becomes Beanpot-like in popularity), but the reason it was formed was financially motivated from all 5 parties.

That's 100% correct. The team not included gets a home series against the Gophs. The two teams in the opposite side of the bracket from the Gophs travel to Mariucci. The team that plays them in the first game gets nothing more. The 4 teams in the tourney get to split the revenues.

Everyone is happy. The state schools get to split money when the Gophers are involved (which is a windfall for us all). The Gophers get 2 home series a year in which they don't have to play return dates and get 1 very inexpensive travel date per year. And the state schools get to have a home series with the Gophers every 4 years which again is a financial windfall. It's NOT perfect, but everyone does get something out of it. It's not the state schools giving in and playing just for 'the privilege" of playing the Gophers and it's certainly not the Gophers doing it out of the goodness of their heart. This whole thing is about money. Nothing more, nothing less. It may become a bigger deal in the future (and everyone hopes it becomes Beanpot-like in popularity), but the reason it was formed was financially motivated from all 5 parties.

Thanks for the information - and thanks Mariucci, too.

Thanks for the information - and thanks Mariucci, too.

It's amazing how few people in the TC media truly understand the set up or why it's happening the way it is. I listened to Ruesse yesterday and his hair-brained idea is that MSU and BSU should trade off each year and SCSU and UMD should be grandfathered in. Jess Meyers either doesn't get it or didn't want to spoil Ruesse's bit. Randy Shaver didn't even understand that it was a tournament this morning. It makes me distrust most of what they say simply because they are talking as if they are an "authority" and they're just flat out wrong.

• Upvote 1