SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

New NCAA rule allows coaches to begin contact with prospective recruits Jan. 1 of their sophomore year. That is 5.5 months earlier than the previous rule allowed.

This new measure – which is effective immediately – will allow NCAA coaches to contact many prospective student-athletes prior to their being drafted in the Canadian Hockey League.

The new legislation also removes limits on the number of telephone calls, emails, social media direct messages and text messages that coaches can send to those prospective student-athletes beginning Jan. 1 of their grade 10 year.

http://collegehockey...s-jan-1-contact

• Upvote 1

http://www.uscho.com/2014/01/22/minnesota-former-in-state-conference-foes-break-up-second-half-with-new-tourney/

In this article Donny notes

“We thought we could replicate the success of the Final Five,” said Lucia, “but with everyone knowing in advance who’d be there. We were hoping we could grow this to be as exciting as the Final Five.”

I think they are missing the #1 ingredient on why the Final Five was so successful.

http://www.uscho.com...th-new-tourney/

“We thought we could replicate the success of the Final Five,” said Lucia, “but with everyone knowing in advance who’d be there. We were hoping we could grow this to be as exciting as the Final Five.”

Donny, I've heard some whoppers in my day...but this one takes the cake.

http://www.uscho.com/2014/01/22/minnesota-former-in-state-conference-foes-break-up-second-half-with-new-tourney/

I think they are missing the #1 ingredient on why the Final Five was so successful.

Laughed out loud at this one.....

Wow.....delusional!??

Any predictions as to how few fans will be in the stands Friday afternoon? Will there even be 2,000? What happens when St. Cloud beats the gophers Friday night? Championship game Saturday afternoon, again?

No Minnesota rule this weekend, Lucia insisted on that. If the Gophs lose they will play Saturday afternoon.

All he said was he's hoping it "could grow" to be as exciting as the Final Five, not that it is right now. And who knows how people will feel about this tourney ten years from now, it could be huge by then.

I'm sure it could get bigger in future years but going up against the first weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament will not help. I think it being huge ten years from now is a long shot.

For all you UND fans laughing at it being close to the Final Five...there are only a couple thousand tickets left. All without UND fans :p

Yeah, I'm waiting for al Pearson to charter a bus so we can all come down to watch the gofers play Saturday afternoon....just like the old Final Five...;)
  • Upvote 2

For all you UND fans laughing at it being close to the Final Five...there are only a couple thousand tickets left. All without UND fans :p

So you're saying there are only a couple of thousand tickets left for a Gopher/Huskie game in St Paul on Friday night? Kudos!

• Upvote 1

Oh my gosh! This tournament could be better than the old final 5! Haha!

Come back with total attendance for this tournament and tell us how well it compared to the past final 5 tickets sold.

Oh my gosh! This tournament could be better than the old final 5! Haha!

Come back with total attendance for this tournament and tell us how well it compared to the past final 5 tickets sold.

Maybe Bidco meant to say only a couple thousand lower bowl tickets left. If these tickets are not part of the rodent season ticket package, which is easy to believe they are not, that means at best the rodents will sell maybe 5K.

I think the thing that made the Final Five so good was the time of year-- tournament time, and a little bit of spring in the air, on occasion. Loved being able to walk around outside in between games after being couped up all winter. Of course the rivalries and great hockey played into it as well, but when you're fighting for better seeding position in the NCAA tournament, it adds to the intensity and sence of urgency a bit.

• Upvote 2

I think the thing that made the Final Five so good was the time of year-- tournament time, and a little bit of spring in the air, on occasion. Loved being able to walk around outside in between games after being couped up all winter. Of course the rivalries and great hockey played into it as well, but when you're fighting for better seeding position in the NCAA tournament, it adds to the intensity and sence of urgency a bit.

So true. Playing for state pride should be a big draw. It appears it does not.

Maybe Bidco meant to say only a couple thousand lower bowl tickets left. If these tickets are not part of the rodent season ticket package, which is easy to believe they are not, that means at best the rodents will sell maybe 5K.

I was just repeating the word I had heard. We shall see how it goes. The Final Five took years for it to gain the steam that it had.

????

You think there will only be 5K Gopher fans? :lol: