SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU Predictions

UND Fan

I enjoy the optimism people are showing here, but I think the team is a year or two away from being really competitive. Hope I'm wrong

SDSU 42

UND 31

I see them going 0-3 in these three big games, but would be happy with 1-2 followed by a win in Pocatello to get them to 3-2. They're going to have to win 4 of their last five games to get to 7 wins though.

• Upvote 1

SDSU 21

UND 10

Ball control and SDSU run game eats up the clock and UND makes some mistakes on offense and they have a lackluster day on special teams...hope I am wrong as well...

UND TDs

Hardin with TD short distance 10-15 yds, total of 135 yds rec and 25 yards on returns

UND Rushing

Miller with 92 hard fought yards

SDSU rushing

3 TDs with over 250 yds on the ground

I'm not going to make a specific prediction, and I will freely admit that past results do not necessarily predict future ones, but for whatever it's worth, SDSU hasn't been wildly successful against current Big Sky/former Great West teams in the past four or five years. Last year, they beat a not very good Davis team in Brookings 12-8. In 2011, they beat a decent SUU team in Brookings 29-28. In 2010, they beat a UND team that could not complete a pass to save their life 21-0 in Brookings. And in 2009 they lost at Cal Poly 17-15, and blew a huge lead at Montana in the playoffs, only to eventually lose 61-48. Now granted, maybe they really are just that much better now than the past five years. Or maybe not (way too early to say). But I have a hard time predicting them to come into the Alerus and blow out UND given their recent track record against other current Big Sky programs. Sure, it could happen, but there's also not a lot of precedent for it.

• Upvote 2

I base my prediction on last year only. I remember the nightmare of 600+ rushing yards given up to Montana State, and the other horrible performances. Gosh I hope I'm wrong and there is improvement.

I would really like to think that Kotelnicki being in charge will result in the run defense getting back to competence in the short term, and hopefully eventually back to dominance in the long term. If we see a repeat of last year, I guess the talent level really is just that deficient at present, because I trust that he knows what he's doing.

The SDSU rushing game makes me very nervous, so does the fact that we have not forced many turnovers in the last year. Beating SDSU will require us to stop one and be on the good side of the other. Still, I can't pick against UND and I feel like this is a week we force a couple turnovers. Not sure on the stopping the run part.

UND- 31

SDSU- 28

Zeb Miller kicks a 45 yard FG late to win it. Jameer Jackson has a monster game and his ability to extend short passes becomes our running game in the redzone.

If I had to predict, I'd say SDSU wins just because I don't think the UND offensive and defensive lines are capable of playing at a high enough level.

Of course, I hope UND surprises and I think they can because this is their first real test of the season.

This game will be like the NAU game last year, where a big time back by the name of Bauman, who we will see again this season down in Flagstaff, came to the Alerus. Only thing, SDSUs defense is better than NAUs and UND now has a freshman QB.

South Dakota State 38

North Dakota 24

UND is comfortable in the Alerus Center. Alot of unknows about this years FB. team. Will coach K. get the defense to play better. Will the young QB's play as well as they did in the first game. One thing we do know our wideouts are game changers. If the score is close in the 4th quater we have a good shot at winning. One of our wideouts makes big play at the end of game for the upset. Pick-UND 38 SDSU 34.