SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU Predictions

UND Fan

Nice try.

You'll get to see a top-10 defense on Saturday. If UND cannot run they have zero chance of winning.

South Dakota State's defensive inexperience is in the secondary and UND has quite possibly one of the top receiving corps in the FCS, so it may only make sense for them to throw the football all over the yard. EWU is an example of a team that primarily throws it around and they get plenty of Ws. My point, UND does need to the run the ball some, but they could still pull this game out if Bartels plays essentially a mistake-free game and gets the ball to his playmakers out on the edge.

Nice try.

You'll get to see a top-10 defense on Saturday. If UND cannot run they have zero chance of winning.

Point is if you think UND's offense is "mediocre"...how would you classify NDSU's or for that matter most of the MVC teams???

I have watched enough FCS FB as well as SU FB to understand SU's success as of late has been inspite of it's offense.

• Upvote 2

Point is if you think UND's offense is "mediocre"...how would you classify NDSU's or for that matter most of the MVC teams???

I have watched enough FCS FB as well as SU FB to understand SU's success as of late has been inspite of it's offense.

I respect your football (and basketball) mind, but don't you think that is a bit of an overstatement? That was certainly true in 2010, but today? They aren't flashy but they do what they choose to do extremely well. And you don't put up 24 points on KState, imposing your will at the line of scrimmage, if your offense is a liability.

I respect your football (and basketball) mind, but don't you think that is a bit of an overstatement? That was certainly true in 2010, but today? They aren't flashy but they do what they choose to do extremely well. And you don't put up 24 points on KState, imposing your will at the line of scrimmage, if your offense is a liability.

Don't forget great hockey mind as well!! :whistling:

"as of late" takes into account the last 2 seasons as well. Again "mediocre" to describe UND's O by a Bison fan is an overstatement.

Versus playoff teams last year, UND averaged less than 15 ppg. NDSU averaged 27 ppg against playoff teams.

Versus playoff teams last year, UND averaged less than 15 ppg. NDSU averaged 27 ppg against playoff teams.

UND averaged 33.5 PPG last season. NDSU 33 PPG last year. Not arguing with your statement above but 33.5 or 33 PPG at the FCS level isn't mediocre.

That would mean something if they played the same teams. Until you play SDSU I think talk about how good or bad the O is, is mute.

But they don't because they are in different conference! You can only play the teams that are scheduled. But I guess 33>>>>33.5 in the remedial math classes offered at the AC!

Again...really slow for you AC people...the term "mediocre" was thrown out by one of you AC clowns. By the numbers I guess both offenses are mediocre...problem is our D stinks!

But they don't because they are in different conference! You can only play the teams that are scheduled. But I guess 33>>>>33.5 in the remedial math classes offered at the AC!

Again...really slow for you AC people...the term "mediocre" was thrown out by one of you AC clowns. By the numbers I guess both offenses are mediocre...problem is our D stinks!

Obviously they are in different conferences, so they don't play the same teams, which is why I looked at how each team did against playoff quality opponents. Sure, UND can put up 66 on the South Dakota School of Mines, and NDSU can put up 66 against Prairie View. UND and NDSU probably could've put up as many points as they wanted to in those games. That is why I think it's a little more telling to look at how teams did against playoff quality opponents. Looking at those games, UND's offense was very mediocre. Against non-playoff quality opponents, UND's offense is well above mediocre. (I'm not saying NDSU's offense is spectacular).

My point is valid - diff sample. As far as mediocre who knows - everyone will know in 4 weeks that's for sure.

That would mean something if they played the same teams. Until you play SDSU I think talk about how good or bad the O is, is mute.

The term is "Moot"

moot

1 /mut/ Show Spelled [moot] Show IPA

adjective

open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.

of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

Chiefly Law. not actual; theoretical; hypothetical.

Your education is showing.

Obviously they are in different conferences, so they don't play the same teams, which is why I looked at how each team did against playoff quality opponents. Sure, UND can put up 66 on the South Dakota School of Mines, and NDSU can put up 66 against Prairie View. UND and NDSU probably could've put up as many points as they wanted to in those games. That is why I think it's a little more telling to look at how teams did against playoff quality opponents. Looking at those games, UND's offense was very mediocre. Against non-playoff quality opponents, UND's offense is well above mediocre. (I'm not saying NDSU's offense is spectacular).

FYI, we also put up 41 against FBS San Diego St.

Ok. Then the 2012 UND team averaged 21.3 ppg against FCS playoff teams and an FBS team. Would you consider 21 ppg anything more than mediocre?

Why are you picking and choosing? DI teams are DI teams, take away the Mines game then see what our ppg was.

Ok. Then the 2012 UND team averaged 21.3 ppg against FCS playoff teams and an FBS team. Would you consider 21 ppg anything more than mediocre?

How much do you suppose having a defense that gives great field position to your offense played into the points FU scored against their opponents. There is more that goes into PPG than just the offense getting the ball and scoring. Last year our defense did not help our offense. FU's defense on the other hand carried their offense and turned the field for them many times throughout the year. Your view of this is flawed as well.

• Upvote 1

How much do you suppose having a defense that gives great field position to your offense played into the points FU scored against their opponents. There is more that goes into PPG than just the offense getting the ball and scoring. Last year our defense did not help our offense. FU's defense on the other hand carried their offense and turned the field for them many times throughout the year. Your view of this is flawed as well.

This...^^^^^^

You swap defenses on the 2 teams last season and UND averages 40+ PPG and NDSU around 24-27 PPG. It would be about a TD swing in both directions IMO. That tells you how good and bad both defenses were last year.

The term is "Moot"

moot

1 /mut/ Show IPA

adjective

open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.

of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

Chiefly Law. not actual; theoretical; hypothetical.

Your education is showing.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that was bothered by that :)

• Upvote 1

I understand where people are trying to compare UNDs offense to SU and determine whether they are mediocre or not . . . but until they can get on the field and prove themselves against some competent defenses, the argument bears no weight. We'll find out soon enough if this team is for real. This weekend will shed some light, but the real question is how do they look after the next month.

First off I am a huge UND fan. My opinion we have to give NDSU credit. We shouldn't be assessing if we are better than NDSU in any category right now. Not till we prove it on the field. The next month will provide the opportunity to show where we have come as a football program. Maybe we can start this discussion in 3 or 4 weeks. We must give NDSU their props. I believe our day is coming(hopefully soon). Winning every game in the next month might not be realistic but what is very important is how we play. Time will tell.

I get a kick out of the bison fan who took the time to figure out, or look up UND's average offensive output last year. For a team on top of the world, who doesn't care about UND, it sure is interesting. I see this all the time on message boards, on blogs written by NDSU and Fargo media, and out in public from NDSU fans.

I hate the gophers, but talk minimally about them, and really don't know their stats year to year, or who they played, etc.