SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Season

UND Fan

The UND sports zone video today stated that Hooker was likely NOT to redshirt.

If he doesn't get at least 15 minutes a game not red-shirting him would be a huge mistake. With Webb, Anderson, Schuler, Antwi I really don't see how he is going to get 15+ minutes a game. Webb and Anderson play 30+ minutes a game, Schuler plays 28 minutes a game and Antwi gets around 20. Throw in Benton at guard, which he is, and the possibility of Stefen in the mix and the minutes are going to be very slim. I also heard in the scrimmage last Friday that nobody played good and Hooker was bad and we tied Sioux Falls without Schuler, Traylor and of course Brekke. We will need him more in 4 years than we will this year..

I find it somewhat interesting and/or ironic that nobody seemed to be advocating for Huff, Anderson or Webb to red shirt three years ago, back when UND had absolutely nothing to play for, but now with a possible NCAA bid on the line the most sought after recruit UND has gotten in years supposedly wouldn't get enough playing time to warrant having his red shirt pulled? Really? I'll bet he gets a heck of a lot more minutes than Antwi got two years ago, when he didn't red shirt, either.

The UND sports zone video today stated that Hooker was likely NOT to redshirt.

My thoughts is if Hooker plays you red-shirt Antwi. To me he is by far the weakest of the guards we have and if Hooker improves then Antwi's minutes will be affected the most.

The Hooker doesn't redshirt, redshirt Webb or Anderson. All three are not needed, but two are, especially for next year.

Disagree 100%. You don't pull that kind of experience off the court in a season where you are basically going "all-in". Not sure I agree with pulling Hooker's red-shirt, but if Brekke isn't going to be able to play and Stefan isn't going to get a waiver, you could run with a pretty small line-up and play a lot of up and down basketball.

Disagree 100%. You don't pull that kind of experience off the court in a season where you are basically going "all-in". Not sure I agree with pulling Hooker's red-shirt, but if Brekke isn't going to be able to play and Stefan isn't going to get a waiver, you could run with a pretty small line-up and play a lot of up and down basketball.

Something else you've got to consider, we only travel 11 players. If Stefen plays you will have Webb, Anderson, Huff, Schuler, Antwi, Benton, Stefen and then Hooker. That is basically 8 guards of your 11 players that travel. So you can't have 8 guards travel and only 3 bigs, cause you know they will get into foul trouble. That would leave Nash, Salmonson, Calcattera and Traylor, one of these guys then would not travel. So then of the 8 guards who does not travel so you will have at least another big? This is not even considering Hobaugh and the other walk-on that are also guards.

Something else you've got to consider, we only travel 11 players. If Stefen plays you will have Webb, Anderson, Huff, Schuler, Antwi, Benton, Stefen and then Hooker. That is basically 8 guards of your 11 players that travel. So you can't have 8 guards travel and only 3 bigs, cause you know they will get into foul trouble. That would leave Nash, Salmonson, Calcattera and Traylor, one of these guys then would not travel. So then of the 8 guards who does not travel so you will have at least another big? This is not even considering Hobaugh and the other walk-on that are also guards.

Was unaware of the 11 players traveling, very good insight. For some reason I always assumed that there were 12 on the bench, never knew that they limited i tto only 11 that travel.

Was unaware of the 11 players traveling, very good insight. For some reason I always assumed that there were 12 on the bench, never knew that they limited i tto only 11 that travel.

I believe it is a Big Sky rule. I've heard the Big Sky allows 12 maybe but UND limits it to 11. If we are in a crunch with so many guards maybe the athletic department will allow us to travel 12 if that is indeed the Big Sky limit. Just more money Faison will have to let go.

Is there really even that much drop off after Brekke? Chad Calcaterra was a highly touted recruit and had offers from Minnesota, Auburn, Green Bay, Northern Iowa, etc...

I don't feel like Brekke has above average scoring touch, either.

He's a career 62% shooter, pretty good even for a big man. And that is after a pretty good drop off last yearwhile he was battling injuries. And he's been playing with these guys for 3+ years, lots of familiarity. I think the issue with the other bigs is no one knows what to expect from them.

• Upvote 1

Brekke was a solid post player and scored at a very high percentage when he actually got the ball in position down low. Most of our offense didn't run through him though so his touches were kept low, that's why it didn't seem like he was an above average scorer. I think his absence will be missed until someone can consistently step up.

• Upvote 1

From the very limited action I have seen from Calcaterra I don't think he is the same player he was coming out of high school or at least he didn't develop into the player those schools hoped. I think Brekke is the far superior player and Salmonson seemed to be a better player than Calcaterra.

• Upvote 1

One thing to keep in mind is Traylor only played one game while Brekke was out, so I think Brekke was replaced by Archer? If Brekke doesn't play this year, that leaves us with Traylor, Salmonson, and Calcaterra to replace him... all I'm saying is that doesn't suck.

Brekke blocked all of 3 shots last year and had a FG% of 49.4%.

Sad news indeed. If still related to a concussion one would hope the NC$$ would grant a 6th year seeing as how this is a national news topic. But it is the NC$$... :glare:

Usually you can only get a medical redshirt year if you have not previously redshirted. In other words, I wouldn't hold my breath that the NCAA would actually be logical about it.

One thing to keep in mind is Traylor only played one game while Brekke was out, so I think Brekke was replaced by Archer? If Brekke doesn't play this year, that leaves us with Traylor, Salmonson, and Calcaterra to replace him... all I'm saying is that doesn't suck.

Brekke blocked all of 3 shots last year and had a FG% of 49.4%.

He was battling multiple injuries last year. The year before, when he was healthier, he shot a ridiculous 68.2% from the field. That was 5th in the nation. Brekke never has been a shot blocker though.

I hope those other three are great this year, the problem is Traylor played all of 8 games last year and Salmonson and Cacaterra didn't play any, nor did Nash for that matter. I have no clue what to expect from any of them. I know what a healthy Brekke would provide though.

He was battling multiple injuries last year. The year before, when he was healthier, he shot a ridiculous 68.2% from the field. That was 5th in the nation. Brekke never has been a shot blocker though.

I hope those other three are great this year, the problem is Traylor played all of 8 games last year and Salmonson and Cacaterra didn't play any, nor did Nash for that matter. I have no clue what to expect from any of them. I know what a healthy Brekke would provide though.

This

Excellent post. We all know what Brekke brought when he was healthy, very solid. Traylor could now be the key in the middle and based on what i saw from him in limited action last year he has the potential. Brekke will greatly be missed.