SiouxSports.com Forum

Lindy's and Sporting news pre season polls

Nodak78

I found these preseason polls on Bobcat nation. Looks like we need to prove some polls wrong.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Lindy's and The Sporting News polls

Lindy's

1. MSU (What MSU hasn't done, however, is make a serious run at the national title.)

2. EWU

3. NAU

4. UM

5. CP

6. SSU

7. UND

8. UNC

9. SUU

10. WSU

11. PSU

12. UCD

13. ISU

Preseason OPOY - McGhee MSU; DPOY Waggenmann UM

Sporting News

1. MSU (This year they hope to make it past the quarterfinals, where they've been eliminated the past two seasons.)

2. EWU

3. UM

4. NAU

5. CP

6. SSU

7. SUU

8. UNC

9. WSU

10. UND

11. PSU

12. UCD

13. ISU

OPOY - McGhee MSU; DOPY - Tripp UM.

Sporting News National Poll

1. NDSU

2. GSU

3. MSU

4. EWU

5. App. St.

6. SHSU

7. Nova

8. SDSU

9. Ill. St.

10. Old Dominion

11. Cent. Ark.

12. UNI

13. Towson

14. UM

15. Richmond

16. Ark-Pine Bluff

17. NAU

18. Stony Brook

19. E. Illinois

20. UT-Chattanooga

21. Cal Poly

22. UNH

23. Colgate

24. SSU

25. Bethune Cookman

No MSU players tabbed as preseason All-America. Six Big Sky teams in the top 25.

Lindy's

1. MSU in GF

2. EWU in GF

3. NAU @

4. UM in GF nonconference

5. CP

6. SSU in GF

7. UND

8. UNC in GF

9. SUU

10. WSU

11. PSU @

12. UCD @

13. ISU @

3. MSU in GF

4. EWU in GF

8. SDSU in GF

14. UM in GF

17. NAU @

24. SSU in GF

This is going to be an interesting year to have a first year starter at QB. UND needs to win road conference games this year.

Lindy's

1. MSU in GF

2. EWU in GF

3. NAU @

4. UM in GF nonconference

5. CP

6. SSU in GF

7. UND

8. UNC in GF

9. SUU

10. WSU

11. PSU @

12. UCD @

13. ISU @

3. MSU in GF

4. EWU in GF

8. SDSU in GF

14. UM in GF

17. NAU @

24. SSU in GF

This is going to be an interesting year to have a first year starter at QB. UND needs to win road conference games this year.

That's why this is the year UND goes to the playoffs. You have 7 home games and only 1 strong team on the road. Its the perfect meal for UND to gobble up, if they blow it this year it will be time to clean house from top to bottom.

That's why this is the year UND goes to the playoffs. You have 7 home games and only 1 strong team on the road. Its the perfect meal for UND to gobble up, if they blow it this year it will be time to clean house from top to bottom.

I don't think that's the case at all. Sure we've got 7 home games but we have to play the consensus top 4 teams in the conference along with a very good team in SDSU. To go 7-4 we'd have to knock off 2 of them assuming we have a letdown on the road somewhere along the way. With no QB experience and two new coordinators we'll probably take our lumps early and have a dogfight to get to playoff contention.

Not sure about UND making the playoffs this year, due in part to freshman QB either way you look at it. I think both are capable young men, and it will be helpful that those tough games are at home, but I think we'll see some bumps in the road that come with the learning process this year.

Lets run through the schedule quick:

Valpo-Win

SDSU-Meh....We'll say win

Montana-Toss up.....but I'll put green goggles on

Montana State-Loss

Idaho State-Win

EWU-Loss

Sac State-Win

Portland State-Toss up.....

NAU-Loss

UNC-Win

Davis-Win

Not a playoff expert whatsoever when it comes to what it takes. Does 8-3 or 7-4 get them into the postseason?

I'm just hoping the defense doesn't get bombed again this season.....I'd like to see tackles made.....

Not sure about UND making the playoffs this year, due in part to freshman QB either way you look at it. I think both are capable young men, and it will be helpful that those tough games are at home, but I think we'll see some bumps in the road that come with the learning process this year.

Valpo-Win

Montana State-Loss

Idaho State-Win

EWU-Loss

Sac State-Win

NAU-Loss

UNC-Win

Davis-Win

Not a playoff expert whatsoever when it comes to what it takes. Does 8-3 or 7-4 get them into the postseason?

I'm just hoping the defense doesn't get bombed again this season.....I'd like to see tackles made.....

8-3 we would be a lock. 7-4 would be on the bubble. There will be lots of sad 7-4 teams next season with expanded playoffs, but some happy ones too.

Valpo-Win

Montana State-Loss

Idaho State-Win

EWU-Loss

Sac State-Win

NAU-Loss

UNC-Win

Davis-Win

7-4 with our SOS gets us in (IMO) due to the expansion of playoff teams this year to 24.

7-4 with our SOS gets us in (IMO) due to the expansion of playoff teams this year to 24.

I'm guessing it would depend on where those 4 losses came from and how those teams finish their seasons. 7-4 and middle of the pack Big Sky finish won't get you in. If 7-4 gets you 3rd in the Big Sky then you are likely looking at a playoff berth.

Not trying to be a contrarian at all here, just an outsiders view. UND would have to be vastly improved to come away from next season with anything better than a 6-5 record.

SDSU is a legitimate squad. Montana will be much improved IMO. MSU and EWU bring back a lot of guys from good team last year and NAU has been pretty salty as of late.

Valpo-W(Should be an easy win)

SDSU- L(Tough match up for UND, stingy defense and power running game. UND needs this to be a track meet to have a chance IMO.)

Montana-Toss up(Though, if I had money on the game I would put it down as a loss for UND.)

Montana State-Loss(MSU is my pick for Big Sky title, UND is a year or two away from competing)

Idaho State-Win(Bad team)

EWU-Loss(I expect, EWU to contend for the Big Sky title, I don't see UND in that class yet)

Sac State-Win(Bad team, home game)

Portland State-Toss up(UND hasn't shown much on the road lately, PSU has the firepower to score with UND)

NAU-Loss(Good team, on the road, I don't see this one being very close)

UNC-Win

Davis-Win(Not super confident to pick a win here, again road games have not been UND's strong suit, even though I don't expect Davis to be very good)

So I guess as I look back here, I see losses against SDSU, MSU, EWU and NAU, with Montana another probable loss in my book. Assuming UND wins every other game(not a given) 6-5 or 5-6 is most likely IMO. Though, the team could be much improved and we won't know that until they play a few games.

I actually think that UND will look worse the first couple games than they did last year. I think the offense will take a few games to get in sync and it won't be the explosive offense it was last year until mid-season. I didn't see anything that would suggest UND got a ton better on defense so I think that SDSU game will be a butt kicking to be honest. We'll see.

Final prediction 6-5.

Rip away.

I'm guessing it would depend on where those 4 losses came from and how those teams finish their seasons. 7-4 and middle of the pack Big Sky finish won't get you in. If 7-4 gets you 3rd in the Big Sky then you are likely looking at a playoff berth.

Not trying to be a contrarian at all here, just an outsiders view. UND would have to be vastly improved to come away from next season with anything better than a 6-5 record.

SDSU is a legitimate squad. Montana will be much improved IMO. MSU and EWU bring back a lot of guys from good team last year and NAU has been pretty salty as of late.

SDSU- L(Tough match up for UND, stingy defense and power running game. UND needs this to be a track meet to have a chance IMO.)

Montana-Toss up(Though, if I had money on the game I would put it down as a loss for UND.)

Montana State-Loss(MSU is my pick for Big Sky title, UND is a year or two away from competing)

EWU-Loss(I expect, EWU to contend for the Big Sky title, I don't see UND in that class yet)

Portland State-Toss up(UND hasn't shown much on the road lately, PSU has the firepower to score with UND)

UNC-Win

Davis-Win(Not super confident to pick a win here, again road games have not been UND's strong suit, even though I don't expect Davis to be very good)

So I guess as I look back here, I see losses against SDSU, MSU, EWU and NAU, with Montana another probable loss in my book. Assuming UND wins every other game(not a given) 6-5 or 5-6 is most likely IMO. Though, the team could be much improved and we won't know that until they play a few games.

I actually think that UND will look worse the first couple games than they did last year. I think the offense will take a few games to get in sync and it won't be the explosive offense it was last year until mid-season. I didn't see anything that would suggest UND got a ton better on defense so I think that SDSU game will be a butt kicking to be honest. We'll see.

Final prediction 6-5.

Rip away.

6-5 would no way get us in, as for ripping at your prediction, the games you have us losing to I can see, however all of those (except Northern Arizona) are at home. UND plays tough at home and led against Cal Poly, beat Montana, and led against NAU so they can hang with the big boys but it has to be for a full 60 minutes and it all depends on if our defense has improved. I think the first 3 games of the year will seal UND's playoff fate. If our defense struggles against Valpo, SDSU and UM then playoffs won't be in the future, but if we shut down those 3 (especially SDSU and UM) then I can see UND having success against EWU and MSU. Remember with a packed dome it can get loud...pretty close to Fargodome loud like in the 2001 playoff game against UC Davis when they had 7 fall starts due to the noise. Early success will pack the dome.

UNC-Win

Final prediction 6-5.

Rip away.

Very realistic. Nothing to rip non there.............

If we can pull two wins out of your picked losses then it is a whole different season. Also, if we can keep Zenner under 150 yards then we have an legitimate shot at winning that game. This year is going to be a toss up all around so hopefully having 7 home games gives them an edge.

Bottom line is I do not think we can beat MSU or EWU at this point...but I would be happy to eat my words in a few months.

If we can pull two wins out of your picked losses then it is a whole different season. Also, if we can keep Zenner under 150 yards then we have an legitimate shot at winning that game. This year is going to be a toss up all around so hopefully having 7 home games gives them an edge.

Bottom line is I do not think we can beat MSU or EWU at this point...but I would be happy to eat my words in a few months.

By no means am I hear to brag up the bunnies, but Zenner under 150 is easier said than done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/players/120605/index.html

I miss having a good running back. Man I wish Chappell would have been able to finish his career. It would have been very interesting to see the numbers he could have finished his career with. Hopefully Patrick Sharp can fill in as the next good RB at UND!

UNC-Win

Final prediction 6-5.

Rip away.

The one thing about sdsu that gives me hope for a win is they replace 6 starters on defense. They also don't play teams with our type of wr depth. If we can get our run game going we'll have a nice chance at a big win

UNC-Win

Final prediction 6-5.

Rip away.

Unless our D is vastly improved and Muss shows he is actually a valid D1 coach 6-5 is spot on although I'm holding out hope for 7-4. But 6-5 or worse better get some coaching changes starting w the HC.

If you asked me to put money on our record I'd say 6-5 but the optimistic homer in me sees 7-4 or 8-3 as possibilities. I'd like our chances against SDSU better if we were still their season opener because, like Geaux said, they'll be a little inexperienced on defense right off the bat but our defense will have to be night and day better than last year for us to have any chance of containing Zenner. As far as the Big Sky standings go, I think we'll be 5th or 6th. I base that mostly on the fact that we'll get Montana as a non-con. If that were a conference game it would be a big swing game as far as our position in the standings go but I think we'll go 5-3 in our conference games and if we can knock of either SDSU or Montana we'll be right in the middle of that playoff hunt.

Boy, you are putting a lot riding on a QB that has never played a meaningful snap for this team.
  • Upvote 1

Its not the offense I am worried about. If we give up 40 points a game its not Mollberg/Bartels's fault.

I am not here to teach you guys anything about football, most of you are very knowledgable about the game.

But, keep in mind that the way UND's team is constructed, they will always likely be in high scoring affairs. Being a passing team like UND is lengthens the game and gives the other team many more opportunities. The team just isn't built to win 17-14 or 10-3 games. Even bad offenses can score if given enough opportunity. Couple that with a below average defense and you are looking at a lot of games like last year.

UND is used to having teams that are built much differently and I think that is why the fanbase is in turmoil mentally. It's very difficult to have both a wide open offense and a shut down defense because with that offense you will put your defense on a lot of short fields and short rest.

I am not here to teach you guys anything about football, most of you are very knowledgable about the game.

But, keep in mind that the way UND's team is constructed, they will always likely be in high scoring affairs. Being a passing team like UND is lengthens the game and gives the other team many more opportunities. The team just isn't built to win 17-14 or 10-3 games. Even bad offenses can score if given enough opportunity. Couple that with a below average defense and you are looking at a lot of games like last year.

UND is used to having teams that are built much differently and I think that is why the fanbase is in turmoil mentally. It's very difficult to have both a wide open offense and a shut down defense because with that offense you will put your defense on a lot of short fields and short rest.

You're such a troll. [purple].

I've been saying for a while that ndsu has the defense they do in large part to the way they handle their offense. The defense is really good but the offense keeps them fresh and usually gives them long fields at least if they don't score.

I don't want und to play that style of offense but I'd like to see us run way more. Spread it out and burn people but also line up and smash a 4 yard run over the middle again and again and again until the lbs can't take it anymore and then hit the deep ball over the top would be nice to see again.