SiouxSports.com Forum

Lindy's and Sporting news pre season polls

Nodak78

I am not here to teach you guys anything about football, most of you are very knowledgable about the game.

But, keep in mind that the way UND's team is constructed, they will always likely be in high scoring affairs. Being a passing team like UND is lengthens the game and gives the other team many more opportunities. The team just isn't built to win 17-14 or 10-3 games. Even bad offenses can score if given enough opportunity. Couple that with a below average defense and you are looking at a lot of games like last year.

UND is used to having teams that are built much differently and I think that is why the fanbase is in turmoil mentally. It's very difficult to have both a wide open offense and a shut down defense because with that offense you will put your defense on a lot of short fields and short rest.

That's why I think defense is more important than who is throwing/handing off the ball. Last year we had 2 QB's that weren't starters...Hanson (didn't start at UNC) and Hendrickson (non-starter). Same situation this year 2 QB's that haven't started for UND and we should get the same result, like you said Bison06 is high scoring offense, but if we can start to get a solid defense like back in the GWFC and DII days we can win against most anybody. I think our offense was the problem in our GWFC days, now its the defense. We need to fix both problems and like UNDColorado said we need a running game, and I think we need a solid defense.

You're such a troll. [purple].

I've been saying for a while that ndsu has the defense they do in large part to the way they handle their offense. The defense is really good but the offense keeps them fresh and usually gives them long fields at least if they don't score.

I don't want und to play that style of offense but I'd like to see us run way more. Spread it out and burn people but also line up and smash a 4 yard run over the middle again and again and again until the lbs can't take it anymore and then hit the deep ball over the top would be nice to see again.

With NDSU it's the chicken or the egg conversation. Which came first, the ball control offense leading to shut down defense or the shut down defense leading to the ball control offense.

I find it humorous that many NDSU fans are critical of the playcalling, but fail to realize that our offense is designed to be boring. Take care of the ball and never put your defense in bad situations. The defense and special teams puts NDSU's offense on short fields and in great situations to score enough points to win.

I agree with you that UND needs to find a way to run the ball, that would be key.

With the type of offense UND is looking to build, they will need to couple that with a defense that can force a lot of turnovers or at least stop teams from making big plays.

With NDSU it's the chicken or the egg conversation. Which came first, the ball control offense leading to shut down defense or the shut down defense leading to the ball control offense.

I find it humorous that many NDSU fans are critical of the playcalling, but fail to realize that our offense is designed to be boring. Take care of the ball and never put your defense in bad situations. The defense and special teams puts NDSU's offense on short fields and in great situations to score enough points to win.

I agree with you that UND needs to find a way to run the ball, that would be key.

With the type of offense UND is looking to build, they will need to couple that with a defense that can force a lot of turnovers or at least stop teams from making big plays.

Joel Schwenfeier was a great DB...we need more guys like him that can pick the ball off.

NDSU has won 2 natty's with marginal QB play at best. Their D totally controls the show in Fargo. You give up less than 14 points a game week in and week out, QB play becomes almost a non-factor as long as the QB doesn't lose games...which Jensen has done.

Jensen was 4-11 w a pick, I believe, in their big spring game. The back-up QB from Bismarck is the real deal but how can Bohl trump a QB that's won 2 NC's?

UND has no choice but to give the ball to an inexperienced QB.

NDSU has won 2 natty's with marginal QB play at best. Their D totally controls the show in Fargo. You give up less than 14 points a game week in and week out, QB play becomes almost a non-factor as long as the QB doesn't lose games...which Jensen has done.

I agree with this completely. I have been saying for a long time that Jensen is an average QB who has come up big with his legs in some pretty tight situations. He's got a good head on his shoulders(most of the time) and seems to understand his role well.

In my mind, the comparisons between him and Steve Walker are laughable. Ironically, because of the team's accomplishments he will likely be viewed as above Steve on all-time NDSU lists. Sad.

He is pretty accurate if he can stay in rhythm, but if he is pressing at all he WILL turn the ball over.

I agree with this completely. I have been saying for a long time that Jensen is an average QB who has come up big with his legs in some pretty tight situations. He's got a good head on his shoulders(most of the time) and seems to understand his role well.

In my mind, the comparisons between him and Steve Walker are laughable. Ironically, because of the team's accomplishments he will likely be viewed as above Steve on all-time NDSU lists. Sad.

He is pretty accurate if he can stay in rhythm, but if he is pressing at all he WILL turn the ball over.

Walker>>>>>Jensen. Not even close.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that UND is trying to become a Houston type offense that scores points at all costs. Early last year we tried to run the ball like the year before and it wasn't clicking. So we aired it out the next few games like never before and had success. Then against Sac St we pounded the rock and demoralized them. Against EWU we marched right down the field on them running the ball. Then Breitbach had the bright idea to change QBs the next series and pass only. You'll see und run the ball more this year and be more creative in general. Remember coach Luke won a NC with a power running game, he knows how important it is to pound the rock. Once depth is what it needs to be at all positions I'd expect to see good balance again.

Last year he digressed as a passer.

I don't think that UND is trying to become a Houston type offense that scores points at all costs. Early last year we tried to run the ball like the year before and it wasn't clicking. So we aired it out the next few games like never before and had success. Then against Sac St we pounded the rock and demoralized them. Against EWU we marched right down the field on them running the ball. Then Breitbach had the bright idea to change QBs the next series and pass only. You'll see und run the ball more this year and be more creative in general. Remember coach Luke won a NC with a power running game, he knows how important it is to pound the rock. Once depth is what it needs to be at all positions I'd expect to see good balance again.

Makes sense.

I still think UND would have much more success in the Big Sky if they were built more like the UND teams of the early '00s. Shut down defense and power running. Those teams just aren't built to handle a power running attack. And recruiting to Grand Forks is much more conducive to this type of team.

Unless our QB either gets hurt, or thows 5 picks, stick with one QB for the whole game. I think if Muss says lets go with 2 QBs in almost every game it will be a disaster. Pick a QB before the Valpo game and stick with him.

Makes sense.

I still think UND would have much more success in the Big Sky if they were built more like the UND teams of the early '00s. Shut down defense and power running. Those teams just aren't built to handle a power running attack. And recruiting to Grand Forks is much more conducive to this type of team.

I think the team will get back to the power running game. The only difference now is we have unreal talent at WR where before we had only one or two good ones. This allows us to take advantage of whatever defenses give us. But most of all we need to pound it with Shaugabay.

I think the team will get back to the power running game. The only difference now is we have unreal talent at WR where before we had only one or two good ones. This allows us to take advantage of whatever defenses give us. But most of all we need to pound it with Shaugabay.

This could open up some flea flickers or end around runs too. I think being deep at WR could open up the playbook a bit.

Unless our QB either gets hurt, or thows 5 picks, stick with one QB for the whole game. I think if Muss says lets go with 2 QBs in almost every game it will be a disaster. Pick a QB before the Valpo game and stick with him.

I agree. Could be easier said then done though with freshmen back there, but you got to live with the rookie mistakes to mold a champ!