SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Volleyball Season

SWSiouxMN

Win @ Weber St. In 4. No commentary in the webcast so I don't know who played well, etc. But volleyball is definitely the bright spot this weekend. Two games against middle of the pack teams next weekend at home, which is tough to predict.

Inexplicably, UND loses the 3rd set (to the 2nd worst team in the Sky).

couldn't tell who was in the game, but it wouldn't surprise me if Hardee was experimenting with different lineups and substitutes. Could be reason they dropped the 3rd set. It was also the second game in as many days and on the road, so dropping a set shouldn't necessarily be a call for alarm.

Didn't that win (and UNC loss) clinch our Big Sky playoff spot? I'm very curious to see Northern Colorado on Friday. They are a team we struggle with and had to have an epic comeback to beat this year. The good news is Weber beat Northern Colorado last night so I don't think they will make the playoffs as they are 3 behind Montana and I believe are done playing them.

Yes. We officially clinched a spot in the big sky tourney.

I am however nervous about next weekend. This screams trap for UND. UNC is desperate and played us tough down in Greeley. They cannot afford anymore losses. Sac State can lock up their spot with 2 wins and have beaten the top teams.

So far the girls have avoided the land mines and need to get past these next 2. With PSU/NAU this week as well a sweep is huge.

Yes. We officially clinched a spot in the big sky tourney.

I am however nervous about next weekend. This screams trap for UND. UNC is desperate and played us tough down in Greeley. They cannot afford anymore losses. Sac State can lock up their spot with 2 wins and have beaten the top teams.

So far the girls have avoided the land mines and need to get past these next 2. With PSU/NAU this week as well a sweep is huge.

I feel pretty good about this weekend, as our home court advantage is pretty substantial. If the fans don't turn out and its a morgue, all bets are off.

What will be hard is @ PSU. They are difficult to beat in their tiny gym.

when the women clinch the first big sky conference title do you think they get a classy banner like at REA or a big ol' fathead bsc banner slapped on the wall?? (with the old bsc logo no less?)

Does the school or the conference supply championship banners?

Thank you. I would have guessed we would be a little higher than that but what do I know?

Last week they dropped after losing to NAU. Playing SUU drops them in the ratings because SUU is so bad. Even after this week, Weber is a low rated team and Idaho State is just middling. UND can't climb against those teams, just fall.

The key to have a higher RPI is winning non--conference games. If they played UAB, Austin Peay, Mid Tenneessee, and USD again, they would probably win with Pioske the way she's playing. Those losses hurt the comparisons.

I'm still bitter after USD loss and it's not a diss on them. I just think it was poor scheduling playing it after tourney and travel. I'd love another shot at that one.

In looking through the rpi it seems the Big Sky is fairly spread out and wow does the summit have the haves and the have nots.

Which brings up the question of how has UND and USD gotten so much better than NDSU and SDSU after they had head start?

i'm not sure...just saying that non hockey programs kind of fend for themselves! rea gets real "banners" for member schools but besc get fathead banners for member schools...

I don't think I have seen someone so bitter about something so miniscule. I was at the women's basketball exhibition game on Saturday and they looked really nice. They also have the current Big Sky logo, something I also saw you were angry the floor didn't have. Probably because they haven't redone the floor yet. Something, it seems like, the Ralph only does it every two years it seems.

Standings

X UND 13-1

PSU 11-3

NAU 10-4

ISU 9-5

MONT 8-6

SAC ST 8-6

UNC 5-9

EWU 5-9

WEB 3-11

MSU 3-11

SUU 2-12

X-Clinched Big Sky Tourney Berth

Schedule for the weekend

11/7

NAU @ EWU

SUU @ PSU

11/8

UNC @ UND

SUU @ EWU

WEB @ MSU

ISU @ MONT

11/9

SAC @ UND

NAU @ PSU

WEB @ MONT

ISU @ MSU

11/11

SAC @ UNC

Since NAU lost, it would be nice if they could beat Portland St. this weekend, and that would increase our breathing room, especially since we have to play at PSU on the 14th. But that's not to overlook this weekend's opponents for UND - I think this is toughest 2-game home weekend of the schedule.