SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Volleyball Season

SWSiouxMN

I think Saturday's lower attendance was a combination of things such as the deer opener, the weather (high winds that had a pretty nasty bite to it), and the loss on Friday night. Had they won on Friday, I think more of those fans would have been willing to come back on Saturday.

Portland State beat NAU 3-1. The match against PSU takes on added importance: a UND practically clinched the Big Sky. A loss and PSU in tied and in control.

Agreed. This match will likely have a huge factor on, not only 2013, but also 2014.

Is 2014 tournament's site at the 2013 regular season champ or conference tournament champ? I know its been discussed here before.

It will probably be neither.

Hardee was on with Tim and Swyg and this was brought up a couple weeks ago. Currently the regular season champ gets to host next year. But last year the #4 seed UNC won at home so that was a bit of an issue. The other problem is that Idaho joins the conference next year. With the even number of teams we are probably going to divisions. Hardee seemed to think regular season champ will host. I'm not sure how that will work with the divisions and you could have a tie between each division.

I'm really bummed by this scenario, but it makes sense. Just too bad that we will probably lose out.

It will probably be neither.

Hardee was on with Tim and Swyg and this was brought up a couple weeks ago. Currently the regular season champ gets to host next year. But last year the #4 seed UNC won at home so that was a bit of an issue. The other problem is that Idaho joins the conference next year. With the even number of teams we are probably going to divisions. Hardee seemed to think regular season champ will host. I'm not sure how that will work with the divisions and you could have a tie between each division.

I'm really bummed by this scenario, but it makes sense. Just too bad that we will probably lose out.

Changing the conference tourney host site to the current regular season champion is a good idea...it would make volleyball like basketball. Earlier this year I was actually thinking that if the league would have back-to-back regular season champions, that would be the perfect time to make this switch (i.e. Portland State wins regular season this year - they would host the tournament anyway, and then next year, the current regular season could start hosting.)

As far as divisions go, isn't that really more of a scheduling agreement anyway? You still would have an overall regular season champion, who could then host the tournament. I wonder how the tournament field will be determined with the divisions. I suppose this will apply to basketball too.

Northern Colorado swept Sac St. last night. The Bears may just be in the conference tourney after all. Yikes!!

Sac State's schedule is much easier than UNC's. A teetering ISU squad that needed 5 to get by both Montana and Montana State, Weber, and the Montana schools. While UNC plays @ PSU and gets NAU again.

Montana holds the all important head to head tiebreaker over UNC so they can sweat a little less.

On our end, lets beat PSU.

Idaho St. earned their berth in the conference tourney last night. If indeed the 2014 conference tournament will NOT be hosted by the 2013 regular season champion (as indicated by Smoggy above), tonight's game doesn't have as much riding on it as it once did. Even with a UND loss, that doesn't eliminate the girls' chances of winning the Big Sky regular season, it just means that we'd need help from one of PSU's opponents (unless the game is so close that we'd still have the tie-breaker - unlikely). If I had to chose between Big Sky regular season champ and post-season champ, I probably choose regular season champ under the assumption the BESC would get to host the tourney next year. But without that carrot dangling, I would rather have the NCAA auto-bid. If Robinson could get back playing, we should be good enough to achieve both.

http://bigskyconf.com/documents/2013/8/20/bracket.pdf

Tie-breaker #3 - points. In Grand Forks, every set was determined by 2 points, except the first set, when UND won 25-22. Therefore, to lose and still own the tie-breaker, our "points scored minus points allowed" for the head-to-head matchups would have to be greater than Portland St., which was a tall task. After set 3 last night, that pretty much wasn't going to happen. I'm not sure, but they could still be call co-champs, and the tie-breaker used strictly for seeding.

http://bigskyconf.co.../20/bracket.pdf

Tie-breaker #3 - points. In Grand Forks, every set was determined by 2 points, except the first set, when UND won 25-22. Therefore, to lose and still own the tie-breaker, our "points scored minus points allowed" for the head-to-head matchups would have to be greater than Portland St., which was a tall task. After set 3 last night, that pretty much wasn't going to happen. I'm not sure, but they could still be call co-champs, and the tie-breaker used strictly for seeding.

Thanks for digging that up and that is what Hardee believed it would be when he was on the radio.