SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Volleyball Season

SWSiouxMN

Couple of positives I took from this game:

1. Attendance. Don't have an official number, but it appears the town is starting to rally around these girls.

2. McKenzie Hart. Hardee gave McKenzie a chance to hit and she made the most of it. She also had some service aces. To me she was the "Hart" of the team for UND (sorry, had to do it).

We looked so lost tonight. We were hitting into a lot of blocks and we couldn't block. If we did get a spike through a UNC defender was there. We hit way to many balls out. A very strange thing was how often we weren't even able to set a ball. Seemed like we weren't going to Pioske much and when she did get a chance to hit it wasn't the usual power.

A good note was the serving and all the aces. Munkeby as our only offensive weapon. Hart played great, but she is not tall enough to be front row.

1. Attendance. Don't have an official number, but it appears the town is starting to rally around these girls.

It was just over 1000. UND VB tweeted out that we are currently 36th in the nation.

We looked so lost tonight. We were hitting into a lot of blocks and we couldn't block. If we did get a spike through a UNC defender was there. We hit way to many balls out. A very strange thing was how often we weren't even able to set a ball. Seemed like we weren't going to Pioske much and when she did get a chance to hit it wasn't the usual power.

A good note was the serving and all the aces. Munkeby as our only offensive weapon. Hart played great, but she is not tall enough to be front row.

I agree on all points, volleyball is a fickle sport sometimes where if your timing is off just a tish, it can screw a team. I witness that a lot tonight. It was not a well oiled machine tonight. Hardee was not very happy and got after the team to pick up the play.

The good thing is that they play tomorrow.

You would think the town would rally behind the first ever possible Big Sky champions, but only 1000 and 800 something in this weekend's games. A crowd of 1200 for Saturday matinee and 800 Thursdays are what the team draws, and only made 800 on a Saturday night with no UND team at home. It deserves better then that.

The 2700 in the game against NDSU is the only reason the team is the top 50 in attendance.

The all-purpose excuse in Grand Forks for bad attendance at sporting events.

It can only be used one weekend per year, and this was it.

Heck, NDSU didn't sell out Fargodome this weekend (18076 and they had over 19000 at their homecoming).

Deer opener is a defacto holiday weekend in this region. Schools would be smart to schedule road games deer opener weekend.

cant use deer opener as an excuse!

tags were way down this yar1

Actually, they were way down last year. Only decreased about 10% this year, from 65,300 in 2012 to 59,500 this year. A lot of people still go to the hunting camp for the weekend whether they have a tag or not.

Another possible reason for lower attendance on Saturday is the fact that today is Veteran's Day. I'm pretty sure that it's a holiday, which means that students have a 3 day weekend. A lot of students go home on 3 day weekends. So student attendance at the volleyball game might have been down because there were fewer students on campus than normal.