SiouxSports.com Forum

Lets go over THIS years recruits only

Dolphinswin

Schmaltz didn't impress you? Seriously? What'd you expect 15 goal season? He was a stud and got better as the year went on. He was a freshman as well and was far better than Forbort his freshman year.

I think we have far too high of expectations on freshman who are 18-19, remember they're playing in some cases against 22-24 yr olds. Physically and mentally there not nearly on the same maturity plain.

This past season? Ummm yes and it's not close.

... and I believe you said Minnesota was the best team in the nation as well and it wasn't close. Your objectivity is more than a little suspect, especially when you rarely stray from the "party line"

Schmaltz didn't impress you? Seriously? What'd you expect 15 goal season? He was a stud and got better as the year went on. He was a freshman as well and was far better than Forbort his freshman year.

I think we have far too high of expectations on freshman who are 18-19, remember they're playing in some cases against 22-24 yr olds. Physically and mentally there not nearly on the same maturity plain.

Maybe I expected more out of him because he went in the first round, I actually thought he was lucky to go in the first round. Like I've said before it doesn't seem like we've had that much like with first round defenseman in the last 10 years, just my opinion.

Maybe I expected more out of him because he went in the first round, I actually thought he was lucky to go in the first round. Like I've said before it doesn't seem like we've had that much like with first round defenseman in the last 10 years, just my opinion.

We have not had good luck with first round dmen period. I was very disappointed with him for most of the year, but felt he got decent towards the end.

Our D was not good last year...its crazy to think they'd be strength...

No goaltender talk, but another will be needed. I'm watching a NAHL playoff game right now between Minot and Austin, and the goaltender for Minot is a big athletic kid that is backwards, but takes up a lot of net. Last name is Parks, don't believe to be any relation to Mike Parks, but I've been impressed with what I've seen from him.

Nice to have a guy like Tate, but at the same time it'd be nice to have three guys capable of playing at any moments notice. Likely won't be this Parks kid, but I wouldn't mind see them bringing in a kid that will compete right away.

No goaltender talk, but another will be needed. I'm watching a NAHL playoff game right now between Minot and Austin, and the goaltender for Minot is a big athletic kid that is backwards, but takes up a lot of net. Last name is Parks, don't believe to be any relation to Mike Parks, but I've been impressed with what I've seen from him.

Nice to have a guy like Tate, but at the same time it'd be nice to have three guys capable of playing at any moments notice. Likely won't be this Parks kid, but I wouldn't mind see them bringing in a kid that will compete right away.

I think the reason why there is no one lined up yet is Hak is still deciding what he wants to do with the position for next year. He can either bring in another goalie like Tate, practice goalie, probably won't see any time behind the two scholarship goalies. If they do this, then a scholarship goalie will be brought in the fall of 2014. The other option is to bring in recruited goalie this fall, have him play behind Saunders and Gothberg, and take over the backup role after Saunders leaves.

To be honest, I'm not very worried about it, Gothberg is our goalie for the next three years, I doubt he leaves early. I think it will be tough to land a high end recruit in the net in the next 2 years, because I doubt there any that will be able to beat out Gothberg, especially after another year of development. We have seen what Zane can do when he is on his game, now if he can just become more consistent we have a future All-American in net.

Only saw Schmaltz live once, at the end of the season against the Purple Cows...was not a great showing as he coughed up the puck on our own blue line which lead directly to the game tying goal...overall pretty solid, but hopefully the year of experience will show next season...

I think the reason why there is no one lined up yet is Hak is still deciding what he wants to do with the position for next year. He can either bring in another goalie like Tate, practice goalie, probably won't see any time behind the two scholarship goalies. If they do this, then a scholarship goalie will be brought in the fall of 2014. The other option is to bring in recruited goalie this fall, have him play behind Saunders and Gothberg, and take over the backup role after Saunders leaves.

To be honest, I'm not very worried about it, Gothberg is our goalie for the next three years, I doubt he leaves early. I think it will be tough to land a high end recruit in the net in the next 2 years, because I doubt there any that will be able to beat out Gothberg, especially after another year of development. We have seen what Zane can do when he is on his game, now if he can just become more consistent we have a future All-American in net.

I'm not worried about the goaltending next year, but I think you need to bring in a kid that competes for the spot. Zane or Clark will be the guy, likely Zane. But I'd hate to see a situation where say Zane gets hurt, Clark is in there and can't stop a beach ball. Everyone remembers what happened way back when when Ryan Sofie was put into a game. Did alright, but not a college level goaltender. I'd like to have three goaltenders that can play at any time. Wouldn't mind a Brandt-Parise-Lamoureax scenario.

Think there are players out there that could challenge Gothberg. You never know with goaltenders, as confidence is a huge thing. You could be great one year, and terrible the next. Hopefully Gothberg does become more consistent, but don't know that is a given with more experience, as he had issues giving up the occasional bad goal with the Force as well. If there is one thing we know with goaltenders is that coaches hate them giving up the bad goals and want them to stop the ones they are supposed to, along with the occasional ones they shouldn't. Never would have expected after Schweitzer led us to the National Championship in 1997 that he would be sitting on the bench a lot the following year when Goehring came in, and then be gone the following year.

I'm not worried about the goaltending next year, but I think you need to bring in a kid that competes for the spot. Zane or Clark will be the guy, likely Zane. But I'd hate to see a situation where say Zane gets hurt, Clark is in there and can't stop a beach ball. Everyone remembers what happened way back when when Ryan Sofie was put into a game. Did alright, but not a college level goaltender. I'd like to have three goaltenders that can play at any time. Wouldn't mind a Brandt-Parise-Lamoureax scenario.

Whatever Hak decides to do will be fine. Unheralded goalie recruits become stars just as often as blue chip goalie recruits. Hak will pick up someone none of us have ever heard of and he will turn into our version of Juho Olkinuora.

Think there are players out there that could challenge Gothberg. You never know with goaltenders, as confidence is a huge thing. You could be great one year, and terrible the next. Hopefully Gothberg does become more consistent, but don't know that is a given with more experience, as he had issues giving up the occasional bad goal with the Force as well. If there is one thing we know with goaltenders is that coaches hate them giving up the bad goals and want them to stop the ones they are supposed to, along with the occasional ones they shouldn't. Never would have expected after Schweitzer led us to the National Championship in 1997 that he would be sitting on the bench a lot the following year when Goehring came in, and then be gone the following year.

I say Goehring is the goalie for the next 4 years but they put a different name on him, wouldn't that work???:)

I think that could be a result of their very easy schedule at the beginning of the season as well.

Well, they were just behind Wisconsin in lowest goals against in the league too so it seems pretty consistent overall. I guess I just think you are reaching for excuses. Our boys did not play good defense this year.

Well, they were just behind Wisconsin in lowest goals against in the league too so it seems pretty consistent overall. I guess I just think you are reaching for excuses. Our boys did not play good defense this year.

Yeah, UND's defense was pretty crappy at 17th over-all in the NCAA. :crazy::silly: They tied with SCSU who went to the Frozen Four. Just for the record Yale was 25th.

Wouldn't bringing in a good goalie that can push both Gothberg and Saunders for playing time be better than one who would only be a practice goalie? Saunders has only one year left and then what? As Wilbur said if Gothberg gets hurt and Saunders can't stop a beach ball it sure would be nice to have someone ready to step up.

I wouldn't be opposed to having another goalie brought in to push both Saunders and Gothberg.....but at no point, in Saunders first three years of college hockey, has he given the impression he wouldn't be able to stop a beach ball. Zane is very good, but he hasn't won the job yet. They will continue to battle for the job next year.

Just stop. The Gophers defense ranked where it was because they had the puck most of the game. If you always have the puck you're not going to give up a lot.

There. I said it.

Not great but not terrible either....being ranked in the top 17 (of 59 teams) is still in the top half. Not too shabby considering their WCHA schedule. But I, for one, do think their forwards should have played a little better in their own zone for most of the year.

• Upvote 2