SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs YALE - Sat GAMEDAY 3pm

AZSIOUX

Union just took a 3-0 lead on Boston College early in the second period. If we were playing them, I am guessing we would just shoot it into the goalie's chest all night and then see the "hot goalie" excuse get used for the next seven months by a good chunk of our fan base and the media.

They should shitcan Jerry York.

so, can anyone tell me if und played well or what, being out shot?

I would say played decent in spurts as there were some good chances in 4 posts, a disallowed goal, and a few that rolled behind their goalie but just didn't roll in. Really a choppy and kind of sloppy performance though and not a consistent level of play throughout the game. Not the type of game and level of play I expected to see at all though.

We played like garbage. Simple as that.

And yet we were still leading with 8 minutes to go.

This team was what it was: Inconsistent.

Our fans are what they are: Passionate and bi-polar. All at the same time.

Jesus, this is just a game. We are just fans.

Not one thing in there I wasn't serious about and its the truth. You people that want Hak gone are crazy, go ask anyone around the country and they will tell you he is a top 10 and probably top 5 coach in the country.

But the standard here is top 1 in the country - He took over the best program in the country which had just moved into the best arena in the country - Time to get it done!

And yet we were still leading with 8 minutes to go.

This team was what it was: Inconsistent.

Our fans are what they are: Passionate and bi-polar. All at the same time.

Jesus, this is just a game. We are just fans.

We were lucky to have the lead as long as we did. Saunders played very well, but he can't score the goals for us and he can't play defense on the blue line. We looked like absolute garbage for most of the game and that is a fact.

And the fact that this is "just a game" doesn't mean we are not allowed to celebrate every win and mourn every loss. If you don't have anything vested in the team and the program as a whole, then why even watch? Go preach to someone else, I am not in the mood. :angry:

But the standard here is top 1 in the country - He took over the best program in the country which had just moved into the best arena in the country - Time to get it done!

I love that being the standard and love the high expectations every year but there is also a lot more parity in college hockey than there was when he took over. I still wouldn't want any other coach and think he is one of the top 5 coaches in the country currently coaching.

Anyone think Und needs to start to change philosophy away from the awesome cycle that we're known for and more towards a more skilled bc style of play? The rules are starting to make playing really physical a disadvantage at times. Maybe we could find a happy medium between us now and high flying skill reliant teams like bc.

I'd like to just see us fly on the attack instead of grinding it out...watch these eastern teams attack...they all skate very well and move the puck up ice. Rocco would fit in that type of offense.

What has us all upset is not the fact that a North Dakota team lost, but it was the way they lost. They didn't come close to matching the enthusiasm and intensity of Yale. It used to be that you may beat the Sioux, but if you did, you went home with a huge sigh of relief and a lot of ice packs on your bruises and cuts. If you did beat them, it was rare that it was because you outworked the Sioux. The Sioux were a hard nosed, hard hitting, fast skating skilled team that never gave up. Those loses hurt but you could accept them easier. Watching a Sioux team get out hustled, out worked and not seemingly synched at all is what is hard to take. In the better years, we were still most proud of our team even when they lost. Everybody feared the Fighting Sioux. I imagine that when they used to post the NCAA brackets and teams found themselves in North Dakota's bracket, they were a really disheartened knowing they would be facing the Sioux....and disheartend for good reason. Not so much anymore. Again, it's not so much that we lost, it was how and why we lost that stings. If the Sioux had taken Yale to the wall and still lost, that would be a lot easier to accept.

• Upvote 4

What has us all upset is not the fact that a North Dakota team lost, but it was the way they lost. They didn't come close to matching the enthusiasm and intensity of Yale. It used to be that you may beat the Sioux, but if you did, you went home with a huge sigh of relief and a lot of ice packs on your bruises and cuts. If you did beat them, it was rare that it was because you outworked the Sioux. The Sioux were a hard nosed, hard hitting, fast skating skilled team that never gave up. Those loses hurt but you could accept them easier. Watching a Sioux team get out hustled, out worked and not seemingly synched at all is what is hard to take. In the better years, we were still most proud of our team even when they lost. Everybody feared the Fighting Sioux. I imagine that when they used to post the NCAA brackets and teams found themselves in North Dakota's bracket, they were a really disheartened knowing they would be facing the Sioux....and disheartend for good reason. Not so much anymore. Again, it's not so much that we lost, it was how and why we lost that stings. If the Sioux had taken Yale to the wall and still lost, that would be a lot easier to accept.

Amen.

No they shouldnt. He wins national championships. Those coaches dont get fired.

Actually coaches who go to the national tournament every year as a head coach and hold the current standard for the most consecutive NCAA appearances don't get fired either. Doesn't make him a great coach, but it does make him a very good coach or maybe a great recruiter.

This was true...when "Back to the Future" was tops at the box office. This style of hockey will get ya a 5-on-3 real quick in the now.

Steal Guentzel from out under tDOn...3...

I keep saying Tom Ward as an assistant too

Maybe we should just blame the cushy arena since we haven't won a Championship since it opened. Get all the NHL draft picks now, compared to the past, and the work ethic at times in the tourney hasn't quite allowed us to win one. The Sioux are not entitled to a National Championship, they have to go out and earn it.

Michigan's got 9...maybe their still the best program in the country.

Half their wins were in the 60's and 50's.....based on recent time BC is the #1 team. However. We just believe we deserve to be #1 and with the 2nd highest amount of draft pics. We should be there. Losing in this program is unacceptable. But hockey is a game of bounces. We never got any. We need to amke our own bounces. Should we beat Yale, yes. Did we deserve to lose? Yes. We plain and simple did not play to our caliber or expectations.