SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. ST. CLOUD - Saturday

AZSIOUX

Matt Greene is pretty much the only big time NHL d man we've had come through lately and we all know he's not a 1st rounder. Not a great track record with the high end d men. Forwards are a completely different story in the NHL but great point in the d men!

Who doesn't love the term puck bunny! Lol

I wonder if Commodore is happy with his non big time Stanley Cup day?

I wonder if Commodore is happy with his non big time Stanley Cup day?

Was referring to recent players that are younger and still playing. Commie was a beast! He and Greene are two of my all time fav sioux d men and not surprised both of them ended up with their name on the cup.

A 15-20 second lapse cost this team a win when no UND player made much of an effort moreless extra effort to secure the puck on the delayed penalty goal.

SCSU is decent, but I didn't leave the Ralph saying "Wow this team is going to win the McNaughton Cup or the Final Five". We gave them Friday's game and we didn't finish around the net...again...last night. Their PP is the best I've seen this year but 5x5 they really don't gernerate much offensively. They are soild on D but not great and when was the last time UND didn't make a Clown goalie look like an All-American?? What they do do is bust their a** for 60 minutes each night and that will cover up alot of their shortcomings.

Our team needs to be realistic from here on out and work to secure home ice and get to the F5...play well there and get into the NCAA anyway it can. Right now this team is inconsistent with play and effort, plays very poorly on it's own D zone, gives up too many soft goals especially early in games and struggles to find scorers not named Danny, Corbin or Rocco.

4 points in the last 6 league games with 4 of those games at home a 2nd half surge it doesn't make.

So for all you dewey meadows, colorful rainbows, fluffy kittens, and green wnearing glasses fans...we looked better last night, deserved a better fate, a tie is better than a loss and the season is still early as it's not even February yet so we still got the 2nd haf surge coming.

2 big games next weekend vs WI...a point isn't going to cut it.

I will add to this the stupid after the whistle penalty by pattyn in the first which lead to their first goal. it blows my mind that the crowd goes goes wild for this stuff when it puts us in a pk situation against one of the best pp's in the league. oh well, I guess more people would like to cheer for this crap than smart winning hockey.

Where are the folks on this board who were ecstatic that Carey Eades was let go? I seem to recall reading here that he was a 'problem'.

Those people are still to busy defending Haks poor decisions and making excuses for his inability to win a National Championship with teams that have the most talent year after year. I wonder if he's going to make Coach Jackson the scapegoat after this season ends?

I will add to this the stupid after the whistle penalty by pattyn in the first which lead to their first goal. it blows my mind that the crowd goes goes wild for this stuff when it puts us in a pk situation against one of the best pp's in the league. oh well, I guess more people would like to cheer for this crap than smart winning hockey.

Pattyn was looking for a partner to drop em with. Problem is no Clown bit. Looked premeditated as it was his 1st shift and he was yapping as he left the bench. Put UND is a tough spot right off the bat.

Those people are still to busy defending Haks poor decisions and making excuses for his inability to win a National Championship with teams that have the most talent year after year. I wonder if he's going to make Coach Jackson the scapegoat after this season ends?

<gasp>

Getting popcorn...

Those people are still to busy defending Haks poor decisions and making excuses for his inability to win a National Championship with teams that have the most talent year after year.

So the very same people who applauded Eades leaving are now critical of Hakstol for making the change...hmmmmnnnn.

I saw BC play about a dozen times last season and there is ZERO doubt in my mind that from October thru March, the Eagles were clearly the class of the NCAA crop. You're dead wrong if you think UND was more talented than that BC squad.

So are you advocating letting Hakstol go? If that happened, I have no doubt that Minnesota would put a full court press on Shane Gersich to get him to change his commitment because he said he really was excited to play for this coaching staff. And if he changes his mind, could Austin Poganski change his as well? High-end recruits usually are gone early, so replacing them might not be that easy, as we have seen with the loss of Miller and Matteau. It could hurt the program in the short term, and as we have seen in a one and done tournament, success isn't guaranteed for even the best of coaches. Is it worth it to get rid of a winning coach who is missing the big one at the risk of hurting the program for possibly 3-4 years? I assume you think the Minnesota Vikings should have fired Bud Grant.

• Upvote 1

So the very same people who applauded Eades leaving are now critical of Hakstol for making the change...hmmmmnnnn.

I saw BC play about a dozen times last season and there is ZERO doubt in my mind that from October thru March, the Eagles were clearly the class of the NCAA crop. You're dead wrong if you think UND was more talented than that BC squad.

It would have taken a really special effort to beat BC, I mean real special. The way their top end guys were producing, and the way their goaltending was at the end of last year I don't know if a team with 18 healthy skaters had a chance against that group.

• Upvote 2

There are plenty of players and coaches from many sports who win a lot every year and are as good as it gets but can't quite 'win the big one' sometimes like Michael Jordan they explode after getting over the hump or sometimes they never do like Charles Barkley. Messier anyone? Steve Young? The list goes on and on, there is so much luck that goes into winning a championship that it can trump skill like Frattins team against Michigan.

It's still Und and Hakstols career record is awesome. It'll happen eventually.

There are plenty of players and coaches from many sports who win a lot every year and are as good as it gets but can't quite 'win the big one' sometimes like Michael Jordan they explode after getting over the hump or sometimes they never do like Charles Barkley. Messier anyone? Steve Young? The list goes on and on, there is so much luck that goes into winning a championship that it can trump skill like Frattins team against Michigan.

Mark Messier won the Stanley Cup several times and Steve Young won the 1995 Super Bowl. How are they comparable to Charles Barkley?

Michael Jordan pushed off Bryon Russell too. Offensive foul all day every day.

Are you serious? I mean honestly... The guys had taken 5 teams in 8 years to the NCAA Frozen Four, won Four Broadmoors trophy's, two McNaughton Cups and won how many games. I wonder if UAA or MTU would trade us? Probably BSU as well.

On paper (total players drafted) und was more talented....now could they have beat them in a game during that time period? Sure, it's hockey. Don't you remember that super long win streak we had late last year? Yes we lost to to goofs but we made a pretty nice run. I bet we wouldn't have laid an egg like the goofs did after making it that far...but in mn's defense they hadn't got that far in quite a long time, maybe a tad nervous to be in the spotlight in a neutral location.

Mark Messier won the Stanley Cup several times and Steve Young won the 1995 Super Bowl. How are they comparable to Charles Barkley?

Michael Jordan pushed off Bryon Russell too. Offensive foul all day every day.

It was said that Steve Young couldn't win the bid one. Like you said he threw 6 tds in a Super Bowl victory. It was said the Rangers were cursed and would never win until Messier led them to the promised land in 94. Never compared them to Sir Charles, he's just an example of a great player that neve won a championship.

We use to be physical, tough and responsibly sound. Now we are soft, out of posituon and undisciplined.

I think Berry coached the group back with Schneider, Greene, Fuher, Jones, etc. They were tough and defensively responsible then. I doubt Berry forgot how to do that.

But do you really think this group of D-men are built the same way those were? Even a big guy like Forbort never has been a physical player.

I'm not a coach but I think you have to tailor your style to the type of players that you have, not try to force them into a system that's not conducive to their skills.

I was there for both games this weekend. I cheered for Pattyn even though I would normally agree that may not have been the smartest thing. On Friday night the Sioux played like they didn't care if they were even in the rink. My buddy and I commented that was clearly evidenced by the fact that there were 0 power plays for either team until into the 3rd period. Playing Sioux hockey, how is that even possible?

So I was happy to have Pattyn come out and showed that he cared about something, anything, on the ice. I would normally be critical for the reasons you mentioned, but this time I actually appreciated it.

It backfired because of a fortunate bounce off the back wall out to Hanowski and he made the team pay. But if the Sioux had killed that off I think they would have really had a nice momentum swing.

But even more impressive was that the team responded after that, and didn't deflate unlike Friday night after the first goal.

I too was at the game and I too liked that we had someone who was going to tell St. Cloud that this wasn't the ice capades. I would have to say that the biggest reason we gave up both goals was not moving and clearing out in front of the net. This has happened to often in the last few series. I would have to say this is a mental issue and we can clean those up.

IMO this team got an infusion of new players after Christmas break and it is taking a while to figure out who needs to be where. Is Gleason a forward or a defense man? Does Rocco go with line 1 2 3 or 4. Is Mitch Mac in the lineup or not. We have 10 games to get this thing going and I sense it is starting to go in a good direction.