SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Change

SIOUXELEVENS

He made the claim and I am asking him why. He really can not say and that is why he is dancing around so much now.

It's his opinion from watching games and talking to certain team members and their families. Just because his reasoning isn't good enough or specific enough for you doesn't mean he has to change his opinion. I just don't understand why you care so much.

It's his opinion from watching games and talking to certain team members and their families. Just because his reasoning isn't good enough or specific enough for you doesn't mean he has to change his opinion. I just don't understand why you care so much.

Because I do not like high school coaches being bad mouthed with no reasoning behind it. He is entitled to his opinion. But when you make your opinion public be prepared to back it up with facts and not conjecture.

Quite trying to backtrack. A high level is not freaking high school hockey. There are not even many kids there whose dad's even played high school. Seng did but the Garritson kid's dad did not, don't try and say he did because I have known Larry, Ronny, and Ricky for years (also their cousins and cousin's spouses). I did not move the line. You keep changing your statement and still have failed as to explaining why Bina is a bad coach. I bet you never even played high school hockey yourself.

My last post on this subject. You can talk to yourself about it if you need.

Hunter Berg, on an radio interview, blamed the decline in basketball quality in the state on video games and other electronic distractions. He used to dribble a basketball to the store to get groceries when he was a kid. If there was more than one bag he made two trips.

I used to live in Williston. Played pick up at rec center. Was told one day to guard "that kid"...was Hunter. To say the least I was ineffective...

I used to live in Williston. Played pick up at rec center. Was told one day to guard "that kid"...was Hunter. To say the least I was ineffective...

Speaking of Williston also used to play on a team with Monte Lund of Ray. Could flat out shoot it. One of best shooters I've played with or seen.

Hunter Berg, on an radio interview, blamed the decline in basketball quality in the state on video games and other electronic distractions. He used to dribble a basketball to the store to get groceries when he was a kid. If there was more than one bag he made two trips.

I think a kid who was going to play bb would play bb. A kid who was going to play video games play video games. Maybe more kids don't play or quit is because they do not like living their parents childhood over for them under the guise that they are getting more opportunities than their parents had.

I think a kid who was going to play bb would play bb. A kid who was going to play video games play video games. Maybe more kids don't play or quit is because they do not like living their parents childhood over for them under the guise that they are getting more opportunities than their parents had.

As a hockey parent I can relate. You know you're not supposed to be "That Parent" but still become overbearing. Tough thing to turn off sometimes. We forget who the game is for.

This "fire Hakstol" mindset is so misdirected. How many coaches in the country don't get to the Frozen Four almost every year? Most of them. That's the answer. These posters who are so quick to throw Hakstol under the bus either do not understand the great challenge with winning a four round one and done tournament in hockey or they are choosing to ignore that fact.

Take 2011 as an example. The Sioux went to the national semi-finals and lost to Michigan. The Sioux out-shot MIchigan 40-20, had only six penalty minutes to Michigan's 12 minutes and thoroughly controlled the game through all three periods. Yet the Sioux lost. Within minutes of that loss there was another "fire Hak" post on this forum. Do you "fire Hak" folks really not see the ridiculousness of that? Essentially one goalie (Hunwick) had the greatest game of his entire career on the worst possible night for the Sioux and that's what ended our season. It wasn't compacency. It wasn't poor coaching. It wasn't lack of skill or training. It wasn't a lack of chemistry. It was all the result of a hot goalie. You play a best of seven with that kind of one-sided dominance and the series goes the other way.

Hakstol is a great coach. He gets this team to the tournament every year and into the Frozen Four nearly every year. Very few coaches in the league can say that.

I know I have a reputation as a big Dave Hakstol backer (and I am), I do have to comment on adjustments made during that Michigan game. While UND outshot Michigan big-time, many of those shots were weak dump-ins and shots without any traffic in front. I also noticed that for the entire game (especially on the power play), the Sioux were content to dump the puck in and chase it around. Every time, those efforts were thwarted by Michigan's defense. Two nights later, I watched the UMD Bulldogs CARRY THE PUCK INTO THE ZONE on every power play they were on. Obviously Scott Sandelin was watching the Thursday night semi-final. I wondered in the 2nd and 3rd periods why UND didn't try something different. Like I said, I'm a big Hakstol backer (just ask passit_offthegoalie, he'll tell you), but that game in 2011 needed some coaching adjustments...and my opinion is they didn't happen.

• Upvote 3

I know I have a reputation as a big Dave Hakstol backer (and I am), I do have to comment on adjustments made during that Michigan game. While UND outshot Michigan big-time, many of those shots were weak dump-ins and shots without any traffic in front. I also noticed that for the entire game (especially on the power play), the Sioux were content to dump the puck in and chase it around. Every time, those efforts were thwarted by Michigan's defense. Two nights later, I watched the UMD Bulldogs CARRY THE PUCK INTO THE ZONE on every power play they were on. Obviously Scott Sandelin was watching the Thursday night semi-final. I wondered in the 2nd and 3rd periods why UND didn't try something different. Like I said, I'm a big Hakstol backer (just ask passit_offthegoalie, he'll tell you), but that game in 2011 needed some coaching adjustments...and my opinion is they didn't happen.

This is what I noticed as well (I was there, in the upper deck, great view of everything). This isn't high school; you aren't going to score a lot of goals from the outside. But it's just easier for a lot of people to drag out the "hot goalie" excuse (and yes, Schlossman, I am talking to YOU again). :silly::angry: It makes people feel better about a bad result, but it doesn't do our program any good. Duluth (and I was very happy for them, btw) got it done and we didn't and that is all people are going to remember. We used to excel as a program getting it done when we had a team capable of getting it done; now we don't. And that is what people are frustrated about. I don't expect an NCAA title "every other year" (that is asking WAY too much), but maybe one out of every four trips to the Frozen Four should result in another green banner being raised to the rafters of REA.

In closing, I do not support a coaching change. But I think it is 100% acceptable and fair to criticize the coaching staff when they don't make adjustments during the game and/or the team repeatedly comes out flat for big games on big stages. At some point, this needs to change. That is all I am saying about it right now. GO SIOUX!!!

• Upvote 1

Red found a way to negate UND's strengths and capitalize UND's weaknesses. Simply Red outcoached Hak. Hak had a deer in the headlight look that whole game. Purely speculation here but I wonder if Eades tried telling Hak they needed to do something different and Hak's ego would not listen?

Dump and chase is a Hak trademark. I was sitting by a Badger fan at one of our games a few years ago and he asked "doesn't your team ever carry the puck in?". Not very often. The problem I see is that at the highest levels, this stratagy as well as our breakout has been frustrated and we have nothing else. During almost every Frozen 4 loss we have almost no ability to get anything going. When we can't plain just out muscle someone or beat them on sheer talent our game seems very succeptable to being stopped without response. We just try do more of the same.

So teh 'hot goalie' was a hoax and we made it easier on him than we should have? Now that you mention it that is how I remember the game. UND was content to chase the puck around instead of pounding Michigan into submission like had been done to UMD and UM and basically every other team they played.