SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ MINNESOTA - Saturday, one last dance....

AZSIOUX

Here are my observations/rant from last night that I just want to get out. I would assume some if not all might have been mentioned in this thread but I don't feel like reading 19 pages.

1. I don't think I would have played Schmaltz the last 8-10 minutes of the game and especially OT. He was obviously overwhelmed this weekend and has a long ways to go. I don't know how we sit Gleason and Mattson for a game or two for Panzarella and Schmaltz hasn't sat yet. I think he has been our worst D all year.

2. I've never seen a Sioux team lose so many puck battles along the boards expecially in their own end and especially the D (see tying goal) in my life. Come on Berry work your magic.

3. Rocco was the best player on the ice for the last two periods and a half. He needs to play with better talent period. He almost took the game over himself.

4. Why St. Clair hadn't played the last two games amazes me. I thought he played well last night and has been one of our most consistent forwards all year.

5. Jim can do his job at times but their are better options especially on the big sheet. He helps with depth but I don't like him in the lineup unless we have injuries.

6. I thought Zane was pretty good but we just can't seem to make the key save when we need to.

7. I thought Mitch might have been the answer last weekend with Knight and Kristo but this weekend he was exposed. I think we have to try Rocco there.

End of rant for now.

1. Agreed

2. Agreed

3. Agreed.....Kristo was impressive too

4. St. Clair played with an edge. Agreed

5. Agreed. Jim doesn't do it for me either

6. Agreed.

7. Agreed.

You can just post for me from now on.

Last night's game IMO just reinforces the need for Rocco to play along side Kristo. It makes Kristo better and it enables Rocco to find his gear that no one else on the ice has. I'm far from even an average hockey mind but this combo with Knight seems to be a no brainer moving forward.

• Upvote 1

Here are my observations/rant from last night that I just want to get out. I would assume some if not all might have been mentioned in this thread but I don't feel like reading 19 pages.

1. I don't think I would have played Schmaltz the last 8-10 minutes of the game and especially OT. He was obviously overwhelmed this weekend and has a long ways to go. I don't know how we sit Gleason and Mattson for a game or two for Panzarella and Schmaltz hasn't sat yet. I think he has been our worst D all year.

2. I've never seen a Sioux team lose so many puck battles along the boards expecially in their own end and especially the D (see tying goal) in my life. Come on Berry work your magic.

3. Rocco was the best player on the ice for the last two periods and a half. He needs to play with better talent period. He almost took the game over himself.

4. Why St. Clair hadn't played the last two games amazes me. I thought he played well last night and has been one of our most consistent forwards all year.

5. Jim can do his job at times but their are better options especially on the big sheet. He helps with depth but I don't like him in the lineup unless we have injuries.

6. I thought Zane was pretty good but we just can't seem to make the key save when we need to.

7. I thought Mitch might have been the answer last weekend with Knight and Kristo but this weekend he was exposed. I think we have to try Rocco there.

End of rant for now.

You forgot to mention all the mistakes Mattson made over the weekend.

You forgot to mention all the mistakes Mattson made over the weekend.

Simpson was our only reliable Dman all weekend. Thought Joe played decent as the big ice suits his speed. The other 4...uhhhhgggggg! Just surprised in a huge series like this how poorly Mac played.

• Upvote 1

Agreeing with all the agreeing.

The D issue isn't a "new" issue. We've had these problems for a few years now. Teams really hurt us with aggressive forechecks. Our d panic, forget how to skate, look like they don't want to get hit, then make stupid passes or decisions or just chip it out. They have to be able to skate and stickhandle their way out of pressure in order to make that good outlet pass.

• Upvote 1

Agreeing with all the agreeing.

The D issue isn't a "new" issue. We've had these problems for a few years now. Teams really hurt us with aggressive forechecks. Our d panic, forget how to skate, look like they don't want to get hit, then make stupid passes or decisions or just chip it out. They have to be able to skate and stickhandle their way out of pressure.

I thought coming into this season your last comment was being touted as this group's strengths! Oops...

And the lack of physicality in our D zone is killing this team.

• Upvote 1

To summarize:

Pre-Saturday game SiouxSports board

1) I'm beginning to question Hakstol's decisions

2) You may as well hand over the MacNaughton Cup to Minnesota right now

3) I just hope we don't get blown out

4) Minnesota clearly has more talent

5) The wrong coach was let go last spring

6) This is the wrong game to start Gothberg

7) Bring out your dead

Post-Saturday game SiouxSports board:

1) Well, it still FEELS like a loss

• Upvote 1

I think the D sometimes try's to do too much ands ends up eating it on the wall and getting a face off vs taking the easy play and getting it out out of the zone(see Gleason vs BU) hard off the glass and out is better than a d zone face off. Next game Schmaltz and Matson ride the pine and go with five d or try Jim back there. The Sioux have never been good at prevent defense, keep the pressure on in the O zone, best defense is a good offense.

Eight points out there over the course of the next two weekends. Both teams playing pretty good hockey. SCSU swept Denver, and Wisconsin has lost one game since November (last night 2-1 to Miami).

Last night still feels like a loss (sorry Mafiaman), but if anything it should give this group confidence that they played toe to toe with what will still be the #1 team in the nation come Monday morning.

PS: Right now something called Quinnipiac is #1 in the pairwise.....Why does the pairwise love the ECAC? Got to be something ACT related.....

7) Bring out your dead

HAHA!

It does suck to lose a 2 goal lead. Even at that point I said to myself the Sioux need 5 to win this game and I was unfortunately correct. What kept me from feeling horrible was the nice rebound in OT. Rather than give up to MN's mo built over the last several minutes of the 3rd period the Sioux really outchanced the gophers in OT. Seemed to me they really took over the mo. A couple of posts, and don't forget the puck rolling off Simpson's stick on the wrap-around chance that I was sure was going to win the game.

I don't disagree that the tie sucks, especially coming that close to winning. But at the same time I'm at least encouraged with how the team responded there and I think that bodes well for the future.

I guess we'll see, but overall I felt like the team improved over the weekend so that's a silver lining.

HAHA!

It does suck to lose a 2 goal lead. Even at that point I said to myself the Sioux need 5 to win this game and I was unfortunately correct. What kept me from feeling horrible was the nice rebound in OT. Rather than give up to MN's mo built over the last several minutes of the 3rd period the Sioux really outchanced the gophers in OT. Seemed to me they really took over the mo. A couple of posts, and don't forget the puck rolling off Simpson's stick on the wrap-around chance that I was sure was going to win the game.

I don't disagree that the tie sucks, especially coming that close to winning. But at the same time I'm at least encouraged with how the team responded there and I think that bodes well for the future.

I guess we'll see, but overall I felt like the team improved over the weekend so that's a silver lining.

^ This

What about this lineup:

Knight with Kristo and Grimaldi

Mark Mac with Caggiula and Parks

Rowney with St Clair and Gaarder

Pattyn with Rodwell and Mitch Mac

Mac and Simpson

Panzo and Gleason

Forbert and Mattson

I think we have to play Rocco on that top line now. I was against it earlier, but now it is clear he needs to play with Kristo.

Rowney hasn't done much for us of late. I move him to the third line and see if playing him with St Clair and Gaarder sparks something. They should run a decent forecheck and bring some energy.

Mark Mac needs to play center. I'd like to see parks and Mac get that old spark back.

Fourth line would be straight energy and forecheck.

On D, I think we need to change it up a little. I think Schmaltz and Mattson both need a night off. Perhaps Schmaltz off Friday, Mattson off Saturday.

You should win games when you score 4 goals...tough, tough tie

Lines I would like for next weekend

Kristo-Knight-little Mac

Grimaldi-St.Clair-Caggiula

Parks-Rowney-big Mac

Rodwell-General-Gaarder

Macwilliam-Matson

Simpson-Panzarella

Forbort-Gleason

I like St. Clair, and as you can see, I put him out there too. I just don't think he can center the second line...

I don't dislike having Mark Mac on the first line, but I want to try Rocco up there now.

We're not misaligned in thinking, just a couple switches

Wasn't it the poster Mariucci that said before the series that Wilcox had the quickest glove hand since Stauber? :)

Didn't take much for Knight and Grimaldi to expose that a bit... :)

I agree that you can't feel good after giving up a late 4-2 lead and settling for the tie. Two posts in OT makes it feel worse.

For as much as everyone was complaining about the D and the goalies...UND showed tonight that they can certainly play with UMN. Now they need to start finishing off some of these games.

I did and he does have a ridiculous glove. He's been beaten low this year far more than high. Great series though, gophers were the better team but not by a lot.

Love the line game! Woo Hooo

Kristo-Knight-Grimaldi

Rowney-Parks-Mark M.

St. Clair-Mitch M.-Caggiula

Rodwell-Pattyn-Gaarder

Mac-Mattson

Forbort-Panzarella

Gleason-Simpson

Zane or Saunders.......After Zane's play last night I think they're even.

I like St. Clair, and as you can see, I put him out there too. I just don't think he can center the second line...

I don't dislike having Mark Mac on the first line, but I want to try Rocco up there now.

We're not misaligned in thinking, just a couple switches

my only issue with Rocco on the first line is are all our eggs in one basket. If they do put Rocco with Kristo speed with be in abundance for sure. In another thread someone said they wouldn't sit Schmaltz because he might be a flight risk, I say play the rights players no matter what. I just like what St. Clair-Rocco-Caggiula do when they are together.

Simpson was our only reliable Dman all weekend. Thought Joe played decent as the big ice suits his speed. The other 4...uhhhhgggggg! Just surprised in a huge series like this how poorly Mac played.

I guess this is the one thing I forgot in my rant. MacWilliam was horrible all weekend. He definitely needs to pick up his play. It is remarkable to me that even he was losing puck battles when he shouldn't lose many if any. i would have to watch replays but i believe he was responsible for a couple of the goals last night.

I did and he does have a ridiculous glove. He's been beaten low this year far more than high. Great series though, gophers were the better team but not by a lot.

The better team was alittle unlucky and settled for a tie last night.

I guess this is the one thing I forgot in my rant. MacWilliam was horrible all weekend. He definitely needs to pick up his play. It is remarkable to me that even he was losing puck battles when he shouldn't lose many if any. i would have to watch replays but i believe he was responsible for a couple of the goals last night.

Goal #2 and #4

I believe that Mac was taken off his game by the chirping with Rao and he is playing in fear of penalties.

Mac is very, very good when he plays aggressive physical hockey and hammers people. He knew, and I'm sure Hak reminded him that he HAD to stay out of the box.

If Mac is playing scared of penalties, he will be less than average. If he is playing with a mean streak, he is very good.

To me offensively Hak has to go one of 2 ways w Rocco...top line or on a wing w Drake and Mark Mac centering. Mark is much more of a playmaker at center.

St. Clair needs to play...period. Put him w Rowney and Parks. Hak seem to likes Mitch on top line. Then you have Pattyn Rodwell and Jim or Gaarder on 4th line.

Where Rocco and Mark can find a line home to me will be a big part in where this team is come March.

The better team was alittle unlucky and settled for a tie last night.

I don't think UND was unlucky, I think Minnesota forced turnovers in our end and capitalized on them. No differently than we exploited their aggresssive forecheck with a breakaway goal and a 2-1 goal.

Saturday we saw two excellent teams play great hockey. Neither team better.

Friday we saw Minnesota beat a kinda flat UND team in what was really a 3-1 game. Have to believe you will lose to the Gophers on the road when you don't bring your best game. Minnesota was better.