SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UMD - Saturday

AZSIOUX

I think Hak said it best all along. Duluth is a tremendous team thats record doesn't show it. At the same time, UND didn't play their best hockey this weekend, but found a way.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that defensive zone coverage will be addressed in practice this week. Unless leaving the points unoccupied is the new strategy defensively. :lol:

PS: Nice to see the coaches make a statement and have Gleason upstairs tonight. Now its up to Joe to work his way back.

Positives from this weekend:

I really think we are getting to some lines- Knight with Kristo and MacMillan is legit, so is Grimaldi with Caggiula and St Clair. I actually think all forward lines showed me something tonight.

Negatives from this weekend:

Terrible breakout, worse power play, and even worse defensive zone play

So, everything that needs work is coached, that means the coaches can do something about it.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully this kind of win can get the guys going a litle bit. I think there is a lot to be addressed this week and I'm sure it will be in practice. I thought the we played a little better offensively but that will continue to improve and lines will continue to be shuffled looking for the right combinations. I thought Hak made a couple good moves tonight and really liked Rowney much better at center than at the wing, it just keeps him more involved in the corners and around the puck more and seems to fit his game better. Hopefully we will improve our defensive zone coverage and continue to cut down on the mistakes and turnovers. Gonna get a real good test next weekend travelling to South Bend to face Notre Dame and I'm very excited to see what comes from that series.

I really think we are getting to some lines- Knight with Kristo and MacMillan is legit, so is Grimaldi with Caggiula and St Clair. I actually think all forward lines showed me something tonight.

So, everything that needs work is coached, that means the coaches can do something about it.

You didn't like the ring the wall every time breakout? :p

Tonight's win came courtesy of elite players stepping up at the right time.

Kristo definitely carries the reputation of being a goal-scorer (puck-shooter), and he creates space for his teammates as well as anyone in hockey. Tonight, UMD was overcommitting on him, based on that reputation, and for over 50 minutes it worked for them. But in the last 10 minutes of regulation and overtime, he made two great plays to create space draw the defenders, then dish to a wide open teammate.

If he keeps doing that, that line becomes unstoppable.

(And his value to Les Habs goes up exponentially.)

Worst LINES officiating I have ever seen at a WCHA game.

Least consistency EVER.

Missed icings, phantom icings, phantom offsides, offsides when the defending team knocked the puck in, failure to enforce standard protocols like bench-clearing after end of period.

Please PLEASE can we get a couple linesmen who can do the job.

Otherwise give the whistle to their seeing eye dogs.

Worst penalty calling ever also, but other people have already ragged on that.

• Upvote 1

Worst LINES officiating I have ever seen at a WCHA game.

Least consistency EVER.

Missed icings, phantom icings, phantom offsides, offsides when the defending team knocked the puck in, failure to enforce standard protocols like bench-clearing after end of period.

Please PLEASE can we get a couple linesmen who can do the job.

Otherwise give the whistle to their seeing eye dogs.

Worst penalty calling ever also, but other people have already ragged on that.

I didn't catch who the other one was, but Nathan Freeman was one of those two linesmen. Nathan has done a pretty darn good job over the years and does A LOT of Sioux games at the Ralph, so if you just noticed it now, it probably wasn't thanks to him.

Sorry, but the three stars of:

3 - UMD goalie guy

2 - Kristo

1 - MacMillan

is wrong.

Zane Gothberg may not have been the #1 star of the night, but he didn't give up a goal for at least the last 45 minutes of play and gave his team time to come back and win.

I don't ever remember a sioux team with a good break out and they REALLY REALLY have to stop doing those 5 on 5 penalty kils!!

Sorry, but the three stars of:

3 - UMD goalie guy

2 - Kristo

1 - MacMillan

is wrong.

Zane Gothberg may not have been the #1 star of the night, but he didn't give up a goal for at least the last 45 minutes of play and gave his team time to come back and win.

Three Stars of the game

1. Mark MacMillian UND

2. Danny Kristo UND

3. Tony Cameranesi UMD

Kristo was the difference in the last 20 minutes of ice time. His ability to create space with the puck and draw the full attention of the Dogs and their goalie opened up Easy Mac on 2 brillant passes.

Things that weren't so good:

Once again, as is the 3rd period theme, UND totally gets out played...badly...on home ice. I believe the Dogs basically doubled up their SOH in the 3rd and OT last night.

Our PP is horrific! Not sure how with the offensive skill that we put out there it can be so inept! The 5x3 PP was a bad as it gets...minus the pipe hit by Rocco.

Our break outs aren't any better than horrific. IMO our Dman constantly hold the puck way too long below the red line. And our play thru the neutral zone, both ways but especially offensively, is as bad as I can remember seeing a UND team play.

Positives:

Kudos to Zane. Hung in there when the dam could of broke wide open. Says a ton about him.

Thought Panz played a solid game. Joe might be sitting awhile.

Rocco's line will be dynamite in the 2nd half of the season if they stay together.

Rowney is a center...period. He was much more productive last night and Gaarder and ODonnell are a good fit with him.

• Upvote 1

So, here is what I surmise...

I think Hak tutors the boys on his system in slow motion to start the season, then gradually turns the tempo up. That would be a possible reason for our slow starts and strong finishes. Almost like learning to dance. You learn the steps slowly so you get them right, while you learn them, you get crushed by other teams who simply play simple, fast hockey. Once you get the system down, however, you are tough to beat. If you try to go full speed too quickly, you miss the little things that make you great. Slow motion reveals faults, which can then be addressed and improved. This might also be a reason why our defensemen appear to look like they've never seen such aggressive forechecks and jumping of passing lanes early in the season.