SiouxSports.com Forum

Student attendance thoughts and How to Fix it

SWSiouxMN

We're an average defense away from being undefeated or a one loss team. This team is loaded on offense and has alot of young up and coming guys. The team has also had to fight through 3 huge injuries (Kleason, Hanson, McGill) and have done so admirably minus the EWU game. We only graduate a few key guys on offense and replace them with the top QB recruit in the history of the program and some massive young hogs. On defense we replace our dline with guys with plenty of experience and two stud fr in Edwards and Carrothers. The defense won't get worse than this year and we get rid of Mersereau's worthless ass so things are looking up. I think the team will be better next year and learn from the mistakes of earlier this season. I think you need to take off the brown tinted glasses.

As compared to your green tinted ones - what a logical fallacy - replace the part of our team that has played really poorly and we would have a pretty good season. Any team in the country could say that. Fact is this is the worst defense in modern Sioux history, so I suppose you are right - if they weren't so horrible we would have a better team.

This program needs to get better and soon - maybe next year will be all you say it will - if so, great, we are back on track. However, remember how we predicted this season would go. I agree that we have some outstanding talent that we can be proud of and that gives up hope. We also have some areas that are so far below what is required at this level it is scary. I just would hate for us to settle in for a long period of average teams. Nothing I've seen so far in this transition indicates otherwise.

i work til 4 am 5 nights a week while a full time student in a program you actually have to study for. Like alot of students, i'm beat by the time the weekend comes around.

You're an FU fan so what does it matter in relation to showing up for a UND game?

• Upvote 1

As compared to your green tinted ones - what a logical fallacy - replace the part of our team that has played really poorly and we would have a pretty good season. Any team in the country could say that. Fact is this is the worst defense in modern Sioux history, so I suppose you are right - if they weren't so horrible we would have a better team.

This program needs to get better and soon - maybe next year will be all you say it will - if so, great, we are back on track. However, remember how we predicted this season would go. I agree that we have some outstanding talent that we can be proud of and that gives up hope. We also have some areas that are so far below what is required at this level it is scary. I just would hate for us to settle in for a long period of average teams. Nothing I've seen so far in this transition indicates otherwise.

The season predictions were based off of a healthy Hanson and Kleason and assuming that the defense wouldn't forget how to tackle over the summer. This team is above average at worst. We've lost to only ranked or FBS teams. The FCS teams that we have lost to have a combined 1 FCS loss. We just need a couple pieces on defense to fix that and maybe a dynamic bigger RB which could be found via the JUCO route. This team is very close to being elite, they just need a guy here and a guy there and things will fall into place.

I can't help but to think that last season's above average defense was wasted by an abysmal offense. Now this season's exceptional offense is being wasted by an atrocious defense. What a difference a year makes.....................

Dan Hendrickson was an all time great but never got his deserved credit.

5 improvement areas to increase student interest:

1. Winning. This is stating the obvious and I believe we are close to being a contender.

2. Elevating the status of the program. I believe the easiest step to doing this is putting names on the backs of the uniforms. Students here love there local heroes and celebrities, like the hockey players, but the average student usually has no clue who is on the football team outside of the few biggest stars. The program seems to be marketed more towards the community at large than the students. Now I understand that they don't make admission off students, but at the same time, its part of the 4reason they don't come.

3. Advertising. Like I just said the marketing of this team is that of an established program that's selling out every home game. The push isn't there to fill the seats like it needs to be. This is more of an overall attendance issue than just students, but it is still part of the overarching topic.

4. The "gameday experience"on just simply isn't there for students like it needs to be for football. An all day schedule of activities, either organized or unofficial, lends itself to students getting involved and engaged. This gets students there and keeps them from leaving early.

5. In-game production. Football games can be, for lack of a better term, boring. It is lots of excitement followed by lots of standing around repeatedly. The band helps, and I love the band, but over the years they have become utterly predictable and sort of stale. And I mean that apart from the traditional practices, fight songs, etc. Also the crowd involvement and student section culture is almost non-existent. Whereas the hockey student section has a plethora of traditional cheers, chants, taunts, etc. the football crowd is lacking. The feeling of involvement isn't there, and for students with a very limited attention span, this is important.

The season predictions were based off of a healthy Hanson and Kleason and assuming that the defense wouldn't forget how to tackle over the summer. This team is above average at worst. We've lost to only ranked or FBS teams. The 4 teams that we have lost to have a combined 0 FCS losses. We just need a couple pieces on defense to fix that and maybe a dynamic bigger RB which could be found via the JUCO route. This team is very close to being elite, they just need a guy here and a guy there and things will fall into place.

FYP

As a recent UND alumni who enjoyed football and tailgating while there and has now moved on to law school at a Big10 university I feel like the big things that students want are not easily fixed. However here they are:

1. Play schools people have actually heard of. Sorry but Montana is not a school people have actually heard of. Thats just the way it goes. You need teams that people grew up watching.

2. Get out of the Alerus center. That is the most depressing building I have ever been in as the field is lit brightly but the stands are so dark it feels like a person should be taking a nap. You do not see the big powerhouse programs playing inside.

3. Put it on campus. Big schools have stadiums on campus so people can tailgate/pregame at home or nearby without the need for a tailgating set up.

4. Have food and drink available for purchase at tailgating. Right now tailgating feels like a grand forks resident only club. I was lucky enough to have friends and family in the area to tailgate with but it often feels like a GF only club.

5. Stop trying to compete with hockey. UND is a hockey school. Thats just how it goes. People come to UND to watch hockey, not football. That is just the hard truth.

• Upvote 3

As a recent UND alumni who enjoyed football and tailgating while there and has now moved on to law school at a Big10 university I feel like the big things that students want are not easily fixed. However here they are:

1. Play schools people have actually heard of. Sorry but Montana is not a school people have actually heard of. Thats just the way it goes. You need teams that people grew up watching.

2. Get out of the Alerus center. That is the most depressing building I have ever been in as the field is lit brightly but the stands are so dark it feels like a person should be taking a nap. You do not see the big powerhouse programs playing inside.

3. Put it on campus. Big schools have stadiums on campus so people can tailgate/pregame at home or nearby without the need for a tailgating set up.

4. Have food and drink available for purchase at tailgating. Right now tailgating feels like a grand forks resident only club. I was lucky enough to have friends and family in the area to tailgate with but it often feels like a GF only club.

5. Stop trying to compete with hockey. UND is a hockey school. Thats just how it goes. People come to UND to watch hockey, not football. That is just the hard truth.

Great post!!!! Dead on!

You also don't see any bigtime programs playing in a climate or the weather that we have here. The wind and rain and snow that begins late in the fall is too much to overcome. There are only 6 home games and if one of them is in driving sleet and 20 degree temps there will be 3000 people there. There is a reason why UND and Fargo University both built indoor facilities.

• Upvote 1

You also don't see any bigtime programs playing in a climate or the weather that we have here. The wind and rain and snow that begins late in the fall is too much to overcome. There are only 6 home games and if one of them is in driving sleet and 20 degree temps there will be 3000 people there. There is a reason why UND and Fargo University both built indoor facilities.

Close the retractable roof. ;)

That is a cop out answer to that part. Really because the Goofers play outside, Wisconsin plays outside, the Packers play outside, the Vikings are moving outside. The weather is not that different in GF as it is in MSP, Madison, Green Bay, etc. Not to mention UND played outside in years past. Obviously it can be done. As an alumni who spent many a saturday side in hockey line, it is possible to be outside in January and February for 10-12 hours so it is completely possible in November.

That is a cop out answer to that part. Really because the Goofers play outside, Wisconsin plays outside, the Packers play outside, the Vikings are moving outside. The weather is not that different in GF as it is in MSP, Madison, Green Bay, etc. Not to mention UND played outside in years past. Obviously it can be done. As an alumni who spent many a saturday side in hockey line, it is possible to be outside in January and February for 10-12 hours so it is completely possible in November.

South Dakota St is the only FCS Dakota team that plays outside. Football is made to be played outside.

1. At the FCS level there are not many programs more well known than Montana.

2 & 3- You could mark it down, an outdoor on campus stadium would do nothing for attendance.

4. Fans around the tailgating area are more than willing to chat with anyone and share anything they have. While I don't disagree that selling food and drink may help, if you felt that tailgating was a GF only club it was your own fault. I'm not from GF and have shown up every week for tailgating and never had a problem finding someone to tailgate with.

5. I don't disagree. I don't think anyone is trying to compete with hockey.

4. Already being done this year and from the looks of it, quite sucessfully. Deeks, Dickey's and the Ground Round have spots to sell food. As of right now, I don't believe anyone has license to sell alcohol in the tailgating lot other than the Champions Club tent.

• Upvote 1

Scheduling OOC games against South Dakota, SDSU, and NDSU will help...but we are in a new conference. People are going to have to get used to these new schools. Sorry...but Augustana and Mankato are not coming to the Alerus anymore I'm sorry, but if you are a fan of FCS football (especially if your school is in the Big Sky) and you have not heard of Montana...you are a moron!!!

UND moving to the Alerus Center was a smart move. If you think attendance is bad now...wait till we have a 15 degree game with sleet!! UND obviously benefits from playing indoors. What's our winning percentage in the Alerus??? Over .800 I believe!! We are just fine in the controlled climate Alerus Center.

3. Put it on campus. Big schools have stadiums on campus so people can tailgate/pregame at home or nearby without the need for a tailgating set up

UND will be expecting your check in the mail. City will not pay for a new 50+ Million Dollar Stadium that gets used 5-9 times a year. Unless you know of a big donor willing to give that type of money....UND football isn't going anywhere.....which is fine!!

They have a "Tailgate Village" at games now where there are food vendors that you can buy food from. No one is preventing you from spending $15 bucks for a tailgate spot the day of, bringing a grill and cooking some food. Don't have to be a GF resident to do that. Not sure your point here.

This point I agree with. Football needs to differentiate itself from other sports. Football is unique as it has the most people that can attend a single game...more than any sport at UND. Also the tailgate aspect of football games makes it an all day event. They should be promoting that.

4. Fans around the tailgating area are more than willing to chat with anyone and share anything they have. While I don't disagree that selling food and drink may help, if you felt that tailgating was a GF only club it was your own fault. I'm not from GF and have shown up every week for tailgating and never had a problem finding someone to tailgate with.

Like I said, I never had a problem with tailgating, I am simply echoing the comments of many of my former classmates. I enjoyed tailgating and getting to know people. However may students feel like it is a GF only club. I'm not saying it is but simply that students feel that it is.