SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

I put up the following videos [Ramage hit], [Rumpel stick save] and the [Joe Marciano hit]. Like I said, I have all of the games except the UND one. Anyone else have any video requests. I can put them up tonight before I clear them from my DVR.

Thanks for putting up the Marciano vid...i thought it was a 5 min major when i saw it live and the replay confirms it. Just not a crosscheck, but boarding.

Yeah, that is the other show that probably caused my video to get cancelled. I stopped watching the show when George and then Izzy died.

Did you just admit to watching Grey's Anatomy?

Turn in your Man Card as you exit immediately.

That is all.

Yeah, that is the other show that probably caused my video to get cancelled. I stopped watching the show when George and then Izzy died.

Did you just admit to watching Grey's Anatomy?

Turn in your Man Card as you exit immediately.

That is all.

Does he get it back for getting it wrong? Izzie didn't die. Her cancer was "cured" and she left after she and Alex broke up. For the record, I don't watch it..I had roommates that did and then I checked wikipedia to be sure.

Thanks for putting up the Marciano vid...i thought it was a 5 min major when i saw it live and the replay confirms it. Just not a crosscheck, but boarding.

To me it was 2 for boarding. The Gopher player has responsibility not to get killed too. It was a dangerous place on the ice, but the hit was from the side. I call 2 there. I also believe that hockey is a very violent sport, where if you didn't want to get hit violently, you probably should've joined the band instead. Nobody wants to see anyone hurt, but you can't take the physicality out of the game. You also have to learn to take a check correctly so you don't get killed out there.

Ill be at work friday, hoping to see or hear the goofer game. Has anyone heard other than espnu carrying it? Free webcast? Or do you think any radio stations will have the game on it? Thanks

I'm sure espn3.com will have it on if your provider syncs to it. Some don't.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index?rb=true&watchsrc=true&device=ios&

To me it was 2 for boarding. The Gopher player has responsibility not to get killed too. It was a dangerous place on the ice, but the hit was from the side. I call 2 there. I also believe that hockey is a very violent sport, where if you didn't want to get hit violently, you probably should've joined the band instead. Nobody wants to see anyone hurt, but you can't take the physicality out of the game. You also have to learn to take a check correctly so you don't get killed out there.

When it comes to a boarding call it doesn't matter if it's from the side or the front for that matter. If you cause your opponent to crash violently into the boards its boarding. In this case the Mn playing goes in head first. It's the kind of hit every level of hockey is trying to eliminate. The onus is on the player throwing the check not the player receiving the contact. There shouldn't be any question that the correct call was made.

When it comes to a boarding call it doesn't matter if it's from the side or the front for that matter. If you cause your opponent to crash violently into the boards its boarding. In this case the Mn playing goes in head first. It's the kind of hit every level of hockey is trying to eliminate. The onus is on the player throwing the check not the player receiving the contact. There shouldn't be any question that the correct call was made.

I agree with boarding (and said so) I disagree with it being five. The onus for safety is on all players, but agree with the hitter being responsible and thus my support of a two minute call. You can't call penalties because of how a player reacts to an action, you need to call penalties because of the action. Again, I agree with a two minute boarding call. The Minnesota player did not receive the hit well, and as a result it appears worse than it is. I disagree with five minutes- it was clearly not an intent to injure and it clearly was not a check from behind. I have to admit, the rules are changing, and what is being called now is not what was called 18 years ago when I played. I also am biased for the physical side of the sport. I wouldn't call five. I would call two for boarding.

• Upvote 1

I saw Nate Schmidt do the same thing this year. Got hit and explodes into the boards head first. I give the guy a two minute boarding penalty. But because Seratorre explodes into the boards he draws a five....

And didn't miss a shift.....

I agree with boarding (and said so) I disagree with it being five. The onus for safety is on all players, but agree with the hitter being responsible and thus my support of a two minute call. You can't call penalties because of how a player reacts to an action, you need to call penalties because of the action. Again, I agree with a two minute boarding call. The Minnesota player did not receive the hit well, and as a result it appears worse than it is. I disagree with five minutes- it was clearly not an intent to injure and it clearly was not a check from behind. I have to admit, the rules are changing, and what is being called now is not what was called 18 years ago when I played. I also am biased for the physical side of the sport. I wouldn't call five. I would call two for boarding.

Yet if it were Kristo or Knight that got checked on that play you'd probably want Marciano suspended for life.

With the point of emphasis on hits like this the right call was made, which is surprising, considering the officials in the WCHA. There's no need for clear intent to injure to make it a major penalty and it was a dangerous hit that had the possibility of causing a catastrophic injury.

If that hit wasn't worthy of a 5 then no hit is. It was vicious. And to put some blame on the player getting hit is ridiculous.

Check this out B.C. Blog

It's been gone over ad nauseam but let's just talk briefly about the philosophy behind the committee's big move of having BC and Union in Providence.

1) Do you agree with this shift toward emphasizing attendance/minimizing flights?

2) Do you think the committee would have made the same move if BC were 5th?

2b) What about if Quinnipiac won the ECAC and didn't finish the season looking like a joke of a #1 seed?

GS: I think the tournament is broken because of the regional format, so whatever they do is just putting a bandaid on a severed jugular.

Having said that -- if we're going to be stuck with this current structure, I think as much as possible should be done to make it enjoyable for the fans. And by 'enjoyable' I mean 'fans can actually go watch their team play.'

So in that way, I 'agree' with it. Also, yes, given the quotes that came out from the committee, I believe they would have sent BC east even if we were 5th. And regardless of what Quinnipiac might have done (they do have the wost 4 seed and worst 3 seed in their bracket, after all).

JG: Agreed. I don't expect the WCHA fans to stop their bellyaching any time soon, but I just have to say this, since I have a forum to do so:

The two CCHA teams were put together.

2/3 ECAC teams were put together.

2/3 Hockey East teams were put together.

It's not the WCHA's birthright to have their teams spread out and given their results in recent tournaments they should probably be happy that the joke draws Minnesota and North Dakota got mean it's at least likely they'll get one team to Pittsburgh.

/end rant.

actually, not /end rant.

The conclusion here is that the committee is bunching teams up geographically wherever they can. The fact that it helps some teams and hurts others is a matter of luck and not any sort of "screw job" by the committee. We were the victims of this stupid system in 2011.

now /end rant.

Nice way to spin it to make the WCHA sound like the bad guys, wow.

"It's not the WCHA's birthright to have their teams spread out and given their results in recent tournaments they should probably be happy that the joke draws Minnesota and North Dakota got mean it's at least likely they'll get one team to Pittsburgh." Really? The WCHA never gets to the Frozen 4?

I guess BC has a lakesbison too.

Nice way to spin it to make the WCHA sound like the bad guys, wow.

"It's not the WCHA's birthright to have their teams spread out and given their results in recent tournaments they should probably be happy that the joke draws Minnesota and North Dakota got mean it's at least likely they'll get one team to Pittsburgh." Really? The WCHA never gets to the Frozen 4?

I guess BC has a lakesbison too.

But he posts on SB Nation. It still chaps my ass that UND isn't in that regional, whether they want to acknowledge it or not they have the cupcake draw.

from BC blog, "And by 'enjoyable' I mean 'fans can actually go watch their team play.''

and thats why the west regional is in an eastern time zone. minny is a top seed yet their fans will have to drive almost 9 hours on land or fly. where as bc will only have to travel 1 hour. bc has only had to fly how many times in the last years. they will complain about how we complain. whatever. the prime fan base for most school is in the hometown. not a lot of schools have a spread out fan base of alums like minny or und. if und fans traveled on land from gf it would be almost a 14 hour drive. and they say we complain. main thing is is that all these eastern schools are right by each other, so if one bids on a regional, they really dont have to travel much.

from BC blog, "And by 'enjoyable' I mean 'fans can actually go watch their team play.''

and thats why the west regional is in an eastern time zone. minny is a top seed yet their fans will have to drive almost 9 hours on land or fly. where as bc will only have to travel 1 hour. bc has only had to fly how many times in the last years. they will complain about how we complain. whatever. the prime fan base for most school is in the hometown. not a lot of schools have a spread out fan base of alums like minny or und. if und fans traveled on land from gf it would be almost a 14 hour drive. and they say we complain. main thing is is that all these eastern schools are right by each other, so if one bids on a regional, they really dont have to travel much.

One hour, it's 57 miles, I used to live out there, you can get around out there pretty fast.

Okay, perhaps its just me, though I strongly suspect it was an effort to put 3 games on 1 TV channel, does anyone else find it a little odd that the western Regional games will be nearly over today before any of the Northeast regional ones start?

If that hit wasn't worthy of a 5 then no hit is. It was vicious. And to put some blame on the player getting hit is ridiculous.

c'mon, you know what i'm saying...there are ways to play the puck and ways to get hit. Everyone who's ever played knows that. You have to protect yourself out there and not put yourself in bad situations. Ever heard of a suicide pass? You let the puck go. It is better than getting killed.

It was a penalty. I've stated so. As such, I fault the CC player. Five minutes is just too many for me in that situation. Cross checks to the head in a scrum get two. A punch with helmet and gloves on...two. A Minnesota facewash...two.

As a former player, and a parent, I understand it. It is hard to watch, but to potentially change the outcome of a game based on that? It didn't stop a scoring chance. It wasn't from behind. It wasn't even overly violent.

If you want violence out of the game, watch soccer or join the band.