SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana State Rivalry Game

MerffCAT33

I know it gets chilly in Bozeman and you get a lot of snow but have you ever been to Grand Forks in the winter? I'm not concerned about the snow or cold weather affecting our mindset going into the game. All the guys making the trip have seen snow before and have experinced a negative sign in front of the temperature it will be on Saturday.

It could be 75 and sunny and I'd still be worried about our defense however.

Not GF, But was in Fargo for an AWESOME AC/DC concert a few January's back. If I remember right, there was snow everywhere (Last Big Bad winter) maybe 2-3 years ago. Interstate was just one lane. Angus played like a MADMAN! Otherwise, I do know that most of your boys grew up and played in the cold. But I hope for your benefit they practice outside this week. I hope it's a great 1st "Bakken Battle"!
  • Upvote 1

Skip Wibaux....give us exclusive rights to your recruits in Baker and we have a deal!

Might wanna shoot a little higher. Baker's run is pretty much over, but they have the SWEETEST field i've ever seen for a school of 130. New FieldTurf and stadium just installed this summer!!!

I'm not making it this week, but if there are any NE MT or NW ND fans that want to enjoy a viewing party (and get out of the Bakken for an afternoon :) ),

PM me. We have a good crowd and cheap buckets of beer at the Cottonwood Inn in Glasgow.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nauathletics.com/sports/fball/2012-13/releases/20121106d133ob

Looks like other Big Sky schools are forming new rivalries and rivalry trophies. Hoepfully UND and Mt. St. can come up with one that is nt as ugly as the one SUU and N. Ariz came up with!! So if they can do it, we should be able to as well. Get this done!! Bakken Bowl 2013!!

http://www.nauathlet.../20121106d133ob

Looks like other Big Sky schools are forming new rivalries and rivalry trophies. Hoepfully UND and Mt. St. can come up with one that is nt as ugly as the one SUU and N. Ariz came up with!! So if they can do it, we should be able to as well. Get this done!! Bakken Bowl 2013!!

We can do alot better than that ugly thing! I still like "Bakken Battle" better than Bowl. Bowl sounds too FBSish. Need to get that Golden Oil Derrick trophy made up quick, so we can put it in our CAT trophy case. On a side note. We had a small group of UND fans at our tailgate this year, and they were not only welcome, but very honest and fun people too. We talked BSC football and enjoyed some grizz bashing. I personally plan on making the trip to your dome next year and hope to hang with some more quality UND fans. Good Luck to the Fighting Sioux for the rest of the season. Like I said before. I'm always for the CATS and whoever is playing the grizz!
  • Upvote 1

Is their trophy made of cardboard??

So for North Dakota vs. Idaho, can I design the potato? :D

• 8 months later...

The Bakken is found in both ND and MT so a natural fit. I don't think UM and MSU play for a Bakken trophy. a MSU poster is the one who proposed this last year on this thread.

We could have another trophy for UNC. Maybe play for a dead buffalo since both states have that species. Just kidding.

What about something relating to the all the fossils found in western ND and eastern Montana? "Battle for the Bones" or something along those lines. I do like the Bakken thing but just wanted to mention another option that might work.

I really like the idea of a "Bakken Bowl" or "Bakken Border Battle" with a trophy related to the oil industry. Not sure what it would take to get it started...perhaps a certain poster on here (cue Jayson Hadju or even David Primus) would be able to get things rolling...

Really someone from Montana State suggested it. I am surprised someone from that level would want to start a rival game at this point. I guess they are looking towards the future and not in present day like another school close by. UND is no where near the level of MS, but if someone says go for it I say why not.

Really someone from Montana State suggested it. I am surprised someone from that level would want to start a rival game at this point. I guess they are looking towards the future and not in present day like another school close by. UND is no where near the level of MS, but if someone says go for it I say why not.

UND actually had a bit of a rivalry with MSU a number of years ago...especially in the 70's. MSU leads the overall series 16-13-1.