SiouxSports.com Forum

Major announcement

Teeder11

The report in the Forum says that it is $5 million from Mr. Hamm, $5 million from Continental Resources and they are asking the state for $4 million from an oil and gas research fund.

Nice support from an influential leader in the petroleum engineering industry. I beleive the North Dakota Industrial Commission (Gov., Attorney Gen. and Ag Secretary) is supposed to give a thumbs up to its portion of the funding this morning.

$15 million will not fully fund faculty, equipment, buildings, etc. needed to fund a new major, but is enough to kick-start a program where tuition, taxes, and other traditional resources are also available much like with every other major. I was on the U's curriculum committee when they added Energy Engineering as a Ph.D program, and it had no such financial or corporate backing at the time.

Looks like a great thing for the School of Engineering and Mines,

John

I was expecting a more substantial announcement than this. $14 million is nice and much appreciated, but how far will it really stretch in terms of new facilities, research, scholarships, and new faculty lines? Not trying to be ungrateful, just realistic.

Yeah, I think we are all kind of spoiled and jaded after the granddaddy of all gift announcements back in 1998. I think that kind of gift is akin to a school winning the lottery. Only a very very very small number of Universities see gifts of a magnitude that fully fund something big and build it now. $100+ million is rarified air as far as University gifts go, and we'll likely not see anything like that again. Our expectations have to dial back a tad.

Yeah, I think we are all kind of spoiled and jaded after the granddaddy of all gift announcements back in 1998. I think that kind of gift is akin to a school winning the lottery. Only a very very very small number of Universities see gifts of a magnitude that fully fund something big and build it now. $100+ million is rarified air as far as University gifts go, and we'll likely not see anything like that again. Our expectations have to dial back a tad.

Then UND officials shouldn't talk like it's the end of the world as we've known it. That is why the Spriit Campaign announcement was such a debacle. They hyped it up too much.

Then UND officials shouldn't talk like it's the end of the world as we've known it. That is why the Spriit Campaign announcement was such a debacle. They hyped it up too much.

I respectfully disagree. I hardly think the Spirit Campaign announcement was a debacle. If that's your example of a debacle; I'd like to know what you call what is going on PR-wise at NDSU right now, or at Penn St., etc. Rather I think your overly hyped and skewed sense of what is a big deal now following Ralph's extraordinarily generous gift is what is and was in play.

What do you want UND officials to say every time something like this comes up ... "it's a big deal, but not Ralph Engelstad big"? Sheesh!

Just be happy it's not the state revoking $14 million from UND

We are spoiled, aren't we? :)

I was in the audience for the Spirit Campaign Announcement. The place was packed and it was a great mixture of current students and alumni. Now there was no raise the roof cheer at the end but it was a feel-good event. The UND fire dancer was pretty cool. Tough to compare it to a sporting event where you win it at the buzzer.

What is in it for him?

A high school drop out, the youngest of umpteen kids, whose parents didn't have a pot to piss in (literally) gets a school named after him.

Would you rather he gave the gift to Oklahoma State, NDSU, Central Oklahoma, Montana State, SD School of Mines, or U of Mary?

His company also gets more access to talent that they will need in North Dakota.

What is in it for him?

Mr. Hamm has made a few donations in North Dakota during recent years. I'm sure that part of the reason is to say thank you to the state for the money he has made here, and the money that he will continue to make. And another reason is to build a supply of the specialized employees that he knows will be needed in the future in Western North Dakota. A wise business man invests in helping build an educated work force for his future needs.