SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 5 Already? vs Cal Poly

geaux_sioux

Anybody else think that we don't have the horses up front to play the 3-4? If the linemen can' hold and occupy the O line, you're gonna have a bad time. Linebackers need to be mobile and hostile (in the Digger Anderson mold). I'm not sure that a different formation would be the answer for this defense, but I'm starting to think that the 3-4's time has passed. It was put in to stop the Bison option, and didn't look like an option stopper yesterday.

Somehow they got the job done last year. Broc Belmore was outstanding vs the run until he got hurt but Nelson stepped in and did a great job. I think this year we are seeing how great Dan Hendrickson was. The entire defense fed off of him and tackled better as a group because of it. The D has no attitude this year. They were a nasty group last year. You can't blame the coaches for putting players in position to make plays, its on the players. What doesn't make sense is that these same players were able to make plays last year.

We can't lose sight of the second and third quarters though, the d looked very good. They shut them out, recovered from any mistakes and had a little edge. I'm not sure if they ran out of gas in the 4th or what.

I'm not ready to jump off the ledge. Cal Poly will probably win the Big Sky this year, possibly even run the table. I just don't get how the D could be so poor against the run, when they were pretty good just a season ago. Going into the season, I just though CP would be a winnable game because of how we match up against them. With the way the season is unfolding, it appears as though North Dakota matches up better this season with teams like EWU, SUU, MSU, ISU etc...........Poly and Portland St. are really the only Big Sky teams who's M.O. is to run it down your throat, and, well, both of them sure did against against the Sioux.

This was not a "must win" game, but it sure makes the margin for error much smaller.

Just curious.

At UNI, was the crowd loud enough to drown out the beeping of the ankle bracelets on the NDSU sideline?

Not sure we were at a loud party where some hockey players were forcing underage people to drink to much. When the ambulance came someone threw lawn mowere at it

• Upvote 1

Not sure we were at a loud party where some hockey players were forcing underage people to drink to much. When the ambulance came someone threw lawn mowere at it

I'd love to respond to this post but don't want to drift this thread away from Saturday's game. Great spelling as always.

Not here to upset anyone.

From what I gathered following via phone updates, Muss took a risk for a change and tried a fake punt to make something happen? Then the floodgates opened? Seemed like a fine game until that all happened?

How bout EWU staging the late comeback eh? Goodness the Sky is whacked out this year.

I think the floodgates had already started to open when Muss called for the fake punt. We had all the momentum and the huge run that followed our score completely killed our momentum and sucked all of the energy out of the building. If we convert on that fake, we take some momentum back and it's a whole different game. The way it worked out, they had their lead and we couldn't stop them from running, not only the time off the clock, but up the score.

Not here to upset anyone.

From what I gathered following via phone updates, Muss took a risk for a change and tried a fake punt to make something happen? Then the floodgates opened? Seemed like a fine game until that all happened?

How bout EWU staging the late comeback eh? Goodness the Sky is whacked out this year.

The fake punt was a really good call, it was wide open but for some reason Darryl Drown didn't feel like trusting his ability to outrun a linebacker to the edge and tried to fake in then run out which failed miserably. Also Jablonski didn't do his job on the guy that made the tackle. Good call, two players screwed it up....

We get that conversion and possibly uncle Mo tips back in our favor and they don't literally run away with the game late

• Upvote 1

The fake punt was a really good call, it was wide open but for some reason Darryl Drown didn't feel like trusting his ability to outrun a linebacker to the edge and tried to fake in then run out which failed miserably. Also Jablonski didn't do his job on the guy that made the tackle. Good call, two players screwed it up....

We get that conversion and possibly uncle Mo tips back in our favor and they don't literally run away with the game late

Also, IIRC, Cal Poly fumbled the ball back to us on the ensuing drive, so that individual play really didn't hurt too much.

• Upvote 1

To me the fake punt call was admitting that you didn't think your defense would get you the ball back with about 8 minutes.

I didn't like the call. In that case I think having Cameron pin them deep would've been better.

I really liked the call and it came at the right time. Brown had an angle to get to the first down but he didn't trust his speed for whatever reason. His trying to turn it back upfield was what drew the holding penalty. Just a poor decision on the players imo. That would have been huge and swung momentum back.

Been purposely avoiding the board for a couple of days - I was just a little disappointed with the loss. ;)

Lots of info posted about the game, so I'll add a couple of pennies worth too...

• I too was watching Hanson limping along the sideline. I don't know if he was listed at 100% or not - sure didn't look ready.
  • I saw maybe 3 attempts to Hardin for the long play (maybe I missed more), and he had his defenders beat. Those are touchdowns if not overthrown... that was frustrating.
  • If Cal poly wanted 5-10 yards, just run it up the middle. We couldn't do jack. On the few passes they did attempt, they connected or probably should have connected. Our pass coverage wasn't there either - we were VERY lucky more than once.
  • I really looked more into this game than I should have. IMO, this was a game to get some hype, and get your home town behind you. Dammit - this football program needs some support and some excitement. The way we ended - it may cause a setback in the support department from the community.
  • Admittedly, I left the game after CP's final touchdown, and didn't see "the catch" until just now. WOW!
  • The fake punt? I dunno - we sure gave them good field position. Just the same, if we sprint to the corner and not try to cut upfield, I think he makes it. On the other hand, IIRC, game time wasn't a huge factor at that moment, so why chance it knowing we can't stop their offense? Why not "go for it" instead?. Either way - I just don't care.
  • Cal Poly is a talented team. But with all due respect, I think our role in losing the game had more to do with the outcome than their role in winning it. At least that's my perception as a homer.
  • Defense? Did I mention our defense? :glare: Like someone else mentioned - maybe the 3-4 isn't what we need week in and week out. I don't know - but this is getting tough to watch - even when we're winning.
  • Tailgating crowd seemed light - at least lighter than I expected given the beautiful day. Maybe I was drunk. Whatever.

• Upvote 1

My take on the fake punt....like any trick play if it works it was a fantastic call, if it doesn't work it was a really bad call. Good job to Muss for trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Its too bad it didn't work. Save it for a rainy day (Bozeman?).

I never liked punting from about the forty at this level the odds are you will only give up about twenty yards.

I have no problem with the fake punt. Like everyone said it was perfect timing as no one really expected it. Didn't look like Poly was ready and as it looked he might have had the first down.

The field goal attempt on the other hand, to me, does little. It would have still been a one possession game. And it was pretty obvious field goals weren't going to win this game.

To me the fake punt call was admitting that you didn't think your defense would get you the ball back with about 8 minutes.

I didn't like the call. In that case I think having Cameron pin them deep would've been better.

How on earth could you not just LOVE that fake punt call? Everybody knows that when you fake a punt, it means the coach has "balls", and the coach is "coaching to win" rather than "coaching not to lose".............................

:silly:;):whistling:

• Upvote 1