SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 5 Already? vs Cal Poly

geaux_sioux

That was a hard fought game that could have easily gone the other way with a few breaks. UND is a very good team that will make some noise this year in the Big Sky and I will be pulling for the whole way.

As far as QB play, I thought your QB was fantastic. I do not know how many times he turn a sack into a first down.

If you can't tackle on defense and stop the run you will lose most of the time.

Basically the entire middle of the defense has been replaced from last season and they are not getting the job done. Cal Poly had no trouble scoring once they got near the goaline. We didn't even get close to stopping them in the red zone tonight.

Basically the entire middle of the defense has been replaced from last season and they are not getting the job done. Cal Poly had no trouble scoring once they got near the goaline. We didn't even get close to stopping them in the red zone tonight.

Gap play was terrible. You know you have issues when a qb scores from three yards out on a straight sneak.

The fake punt was fine it was the last field goal attempt. Go for that. Different ball game possibly.

I agree that if you are going to risk losing the field position on a field goal miss from that far, you might as well go for a fourth and 7 or 8. The only problem I had with the fake punt was that you were fourth and about 12-15 yards and they ran an end around that looped back about 5-10 yards as well. Plenty of time for the speed of Cal Poly to recover from being fooled. That said, the push of their offensive line and defensive lines and the lack of the same with either of our lines was very evident. Also very shocked that Cal Poly came out of a timeout with 3rd and goal from the 2 and the Sioux defense wasn't ready for the quick snap. Before they figured it out he was over the goal line.

We played excellent football on both sides of the ball the 2nd and 3rd quarters and were the dominant team. Even with the two bad quarters, we still ended up leading in virtually every statistical area (1st downs, total yards, no. of plays, TOP); unfortunately, we also lead in turnovers and that can't happen against teams the calibre of Cal Poly. The two situations that hurt the most were the lost fumble on the third play of the game that otherwise would have given us a first down and, instead, gave Cal Poly a short field and allowed them to jump into an early lead; and allowing the big play immediately after we'd taken the lead in the 4th quarter, which lead shortly thereafter to Cal Poly scoring a TD and retaking the lead. Had we come up with a defensive stop on that possesion, it might have been a different outcome. If's and but's.

we aint gonna win too many games against athletic defenses like cal-poly's using a glorified fullback as our running back....

I would like to see some pj sparks. I would also like to get a stud rb either a drop down transfer or big time recruit. I love me some Jake miller but he needs good to great blocking to do what he does best.

On the drive up, listening to the pregame show, Muss mentioned that Hanson wasn't at 100% but was hoping to get him in the game. We'll see what the extra week does for him. I think we need to get him back on the field to see if he can bring something back to the offense. Hendrickson, while he kept some plays alive with his feet, looked a little confused at times and missed some wide open guys.

Also, the turning point for me on offense was when McGill was injured. He's such a good slot guy that always seems to get open. Our offense lost the rhythm they seemed to be getting at that point.

Defensively, don't know what to say. We lost the corner to many times. Someone had to get off a block to make a play and it didn't happen. Also, missing an easy INT early allowed them to continue a drive and score a TD. Our defense couldn't get itself off the field when the opportunities were there in the 1st and 4th quarters. Looked good 2nd and 3rd.

Lack of d-line pressure just makes our already weak secondary look even worse. I would be surprised if we can hold any team under 30 the rest of the year (okay maybe Northern Colorado). Unless our offense plays turnover free ball we are going to need to find open receivers and find a way to run the ball.