SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 5 Already? vs Cal Poly

geaux_sioux

I do agree that Poly needs to get the QB, but I think the key stat is 3rd down conversions. Poly is all about ball control and eating up the clock. UND needs to get Poly off the field when they have 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4. If they do, I think UND wins.

Fair point. Let's examine that-

Key Stat of the Day: 3rd Down Conversions

Poly Offense-National Rank- #8-3rd downs converted-26 of 53=49.06%

Poly Defense-National Rank- #40-3rd down conversions allowed-15 of 44=34.09%

UND Offense-National Rank-#64-3rd downs converted-16 of 43=37.21%

UND Defense-National Rank- #35-3rd down conversions allowed-17 of 51=33.33%

The Poly offense is among the best in the nation in converting 3rd downs, and they are 2 of 2 on 4th down this year. The UND defense is average on 3rd down. I think UND will win this game because of the strength of the offense. Not because the defense will show us something they haven't before. That said, the UND defense needs to do what it normally does-allows opponents a 33% 3rd down conversion. If Poly converts at their normal avg of 49%, I don't think the UND offense will have enough possessions to win. Long story short-the defense just has to be as good as they usually are...just not worse.

I was told today that there are ~1100 student tickets remaining. Very surprising after the last two games, especially considering the opponent.

as far as the game goes, i think this is the one we drop at home. cal poly 38, UND 27

Can you please stop saying "we". You are not a UND fan whatsoever and its getting very old. Just say that you like NDSU more and get it over with.

• Upvote 2

This should be a great game, really looking forward to it. As a Poly fan I know how far UND has come over the past 5 or so years that I have been paying attention. As a San Diego resident I can also say that theywere a few good bounces away from beating a solid Aztecs team. The play UND has gotten from both QBs is impressive. Cal Poly will need to play a near perfect game to win this one.

Very happy to see Cal Poly continue to build some history with UND and I for one expect both teams to make some noise in the Big Sky this year.

• Upvote 2

I wonder if this year's UNI team would be described that same way if they finish with 4 losses.

This years UNI I think finishes with 4-5 losses. 2 BCS games and a year where the conference appears to be very good. But if you'd like, I'll edit my statement to say a "bad year by UNI standards."

Just wait UND finishes in the top of the Big Sky and all we will hear is how "down" the Big Sky was this year by our friendly trolls and infactuated fans from bison-swille.

I'll save you the trouble of waiting until the season is over. If Montana is "down" the Big Sky is "down" and Montana is "down" in a big way right now.

I'll save you the trouble of waiting until the season is over. If Montana is "down" the Big Sky is "down" and Montana is "down" in a big way right now.

So what you are saying is that if Montana is not a good as usual, then the whole conference must be down? That's horse crap and you know it because it is very possible for teams to improve. I happen to think NAU has improved by leaps and bounds. UND and Poly are looking really good and MSU and Eastern are looking great. You just can't tell through your stained glasses.

So I am going to use your thought process here. Last year Youngstown was down so the MVFC must have been down as a whole. Also since UNI is at 1-3 the whole conference must be having a down year.

If you still agree with your original statement then there is no way you can disagree with this.

Montana will finish with a much better record than UNI, who is about to have their whole season go down the shitter due to over-scheduling in their nonconference. Other than Youngstown State and NDSU, the rest of the MVFC is total garbage. Not a single one of the MVFC leftovers has any postseason success whatsoever. Every year is a down year in the MVFC.

• Upvote 1

So what you are saying is that if Montana is not a good as usual, then the whole conference must be down? That's horse crap and you know it because it is very possible for teams to improve. I happen to think NAU has improved by leaps and bounds. UND and Poly are looking really good and MSU and Eastern are looking great. You just can't tell through your stained glasses.

So I am going to use your thought process here. Last year Youngstown was down so the MVFC must have been down as a whole. Also since UNI is at 1-3 the whole conference must be having a down year.

If you still agree with your original statement then there is no way you can disagree with this.

Don't try and pigeonhole what I've said into fitting your argument. I didn't say this logic applies to all conferences everywhere, all conferences are different. Historically Montana is the only consistent playoff contender from the Big Sky. There isn't another conference anywhere that has been dominated the way Montana has dominated the Big Sky. They are without a doubt the class of the conference and nobody even comes close to them.

The MVFC is very different, especially in the past few years. Illinois State is a playoff caliber team, Indiana State as well. UNI is a damn good team with a crappy record because they have played an extremely difficult schedule. YSU also looks to be making a resurgence these past few years.

I know you guys are mad because it is a Bison fan pointing it out. But have a look over at AGS, I am not the only one who feels the Big Sky is down this year. Everyone, including Montana and Montana State fans are talking about it.

Montana will finish with a much better record than UNI, who is about to have their whole season go down the shitter due to over-scheduling in their nonconference. Other than Youngstown State and NDSU, the rest of the MVFC is total garbage. Not a single one of the MVFC leftovers has any postseason success whatsoever. Every year is a down year in the MVFC.

Shows your ignorance about the MVFC these past few years.

I also find it humorous that I didn't make one reference to NDSU, the MVFC or the MVFC being better than the Big Sky. Only that the Big Sky is down this year. And instead of trying to explain why the Big Sky isn't down you guys chose the very weak argument of attacking NDSU's conference, when that has nothing to do with the conversation.

Don't try and pigeonhole what I've said into fitting your argument. I didn't say this logic applies to all conferences everywhere, all conferences are different. Historically Montana is the only consistent playoff contender from the Big Sky. There isn't another conference anywhere that has been dominated the way Montana has dominated the Big Sky. They are without a doubt the class of the conference and nobody even comes close to them.

The MVFC is very different, especially in the past few years. Illinois State is a playoff caliber team, Indiana State as well. UNI is a damn good team with a crappy record because they have played an extremely difficult schedule. YSU also looks to be making a resurgence these past few years.

I know you guys are mad because it is a Bison fan pointing it out. But have a look over at AGS, I am not the only one who feels the Big Sky is down this year. Everyone, including Montana and Montana State fans are talking about it.

Right, because if Cal Poly and UND are having any success then the entire conference must be down :whistling:

16 conference championships in 25 years by UNI isn't dominate? Since it is the same number that Montana has won in that same time frame, by your definition, they must be. And not sure how you measure historically, but Montana only has 19 conference championships since 1963.

And the facts of the last few years don't back up Illinois State and Indiana State as playoff caliber teams. Illinois State hasn't made the playoffs since 2006 and Indiana State haven't made the playoffs since 1984.