SiouxSports.com Forum

Ideas to fill the Alerus

Siouxperfan7

Say this deal online that Duke University is doing for their homecoming game

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205688889&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Having the games on TV and not having to pay for increased ticket prices to go to the games have really deterred fans, especially families, to go to games. I would like to see more ticket/food deals like the one above that Duke is doing to encourage more families to go to the game. They do this for other sports at all levels. Would be great to see it here at the Alerus.

Say this deal online that Duke University is doing for their homecoming game

http://www.goduke.co...&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Having the games on TV and not having to pay for increased ticket prices to go to the games have really deterred fans, especially families, to go to games. I would like to see more ticket/food deals like the one above that Duke is doing to encourage more families to go to the game. They do this for other sports at all levels. Would be great to see it here at the Alerus.

Not sure of the logistics due to concession contracts, but something similar is already done at the Ralph for exhibtion games and has been for at least a couple of years. This year they are doing it for the Manitoba game.

Atmosphere....Atmosphere.....Atmosphere. They need to make the fans WANT to come to a game. I hate comparing the Alerus Center to the Ralph because there is no comparison but i just look at what drives me to not miss a UND hockey game.

First of all....the sound system sucks. They either need to purchase more speakers or turn them towards the crowd. Its pretty bad when you cant hear the intro music playing when they leave the tunnel under the cheers of the fans. Sorry, but our crowd just isnt that loud.

I also think the marketing team needs to go out and visit a FBS football game. See video below. The pep band plays the 'Seven Nation Army' song but it almost looks like the college students have never either heard the song before or are paralyzed from the waste up....Get the students in the game! They are the ones with all of the energy!!!!

The atmosphere is what brings people to the games.....oops and wins. Marketing is key....if it be more commercials, maybe a sweet a$$ intro video or maybe better music to pump of the crowd and the team. I think the university needs to start investing in the team and the crowd will follow....

• Upvote 3

Now this is what i'm talking about!!!! Marketing!!!! Everyone must watch this intro video. If UND did something like this and played it across the tri-state area as a short commerecial or just as their intro video before leaving the tunnel with the music blaring i would definitely believe that we would see an increased interest and louder fans....
  • Upvote 4

Now this is what i'm talking about!!!! Marketing!!!! Everyone must watch this intro video. If UND did something like this and played it across the tri-state area as a short commerecial or just as their intro video before leaving the tunnel with the music blaring i would definitely believe that we would see an increased interest and louder fans....

I'm guessing the director of that video was a fan of teh Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. This year the video is improved but those speakers need to be replaced, the ones at the Englestad are obviously super expensive but they blast. You get what you pay for with sound equipment. Maybe they're too afraid to offend fans at the Alerus by blasting some good ol rap music that would get the students and players jacked.

Ps. Mr. Hajdu, can we get a smoke machine and green strobe lights in the helmet when the team runs out? That would be sweet to have after/during a loud awesome intro. If the fans are shown that the team is a priority they will want to see them.

years ago the alerus spent a bunch of money to make the alerus seem like the home field for the university of north dakota??

they put a football helmet on the southwest entrance

they put old school pics in the lobby

they hung generic championship banners from the roof (blocking the video screen if you sit high enough?)

they put large banners saying university of north dakota at the base of the east and west stands

but when they had a chance to make the alerus seem like und's home field....they covered the HOME FIELD with six non-und identifying logo's???

there was a reason terrell owens ran to midfield as a 49er and stood on the Dallas Cowboys logo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-nxdzgQH8U

maybe when hardin catches a td against poly next saturday he will run to midfield and slam the fb down against the alerus logo to get the crowd fired up??

• Upvote 2

I was actually impressed in the starting lineup music and video that they had during the SIOUX/Bison basketball game last year at the Ralph. The music was blaring! I watched it on TV but it had me at the edge of my chair just watching it. I just dont like when they black out the Alerus Center before the game. It makes me feel like I'm in kindergarten again and they are getting us ready for nap time after coming in from tailgating....They are trying to make it too much like the hockey and basketball games. Make it bright! Smoke! Pyrotechnic! Louder Music! Boom!

Just for fun.......

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/visuals/post/_/id/8111/college-football-entrance-videos-our-favorites

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/visuals/post/_/id/8465/more-great-12-college-football-intro-videos

The key to getting the crowd back has nothing to do with gimmicks. As Al Davis once said, "Just Win Baby!". Or, as Vince Lombardi once said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing". Lights, music, and all the rest are just window dressing. If the team keeps winning, the crowds will keep building. Nothing magical or mystical about it. Win and they will come.

The key to getting the crowd back has nothing to do with gimmicks. As Al Davis once said, "Just Win Baby!". Or, as Vince Lombardi once said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing". Lights, music, and all the rest are just window dressing. If the team keeps winning, the crowds will keep building. Nothing magical or mystical about it. Win and they will come.

Well I was at the Portland State game....we were winning and the student section was leaving. I'm not arguing with you. Winning is huge! But we really need to find a way to keep the fans from just getting up and leaving at halftime.

• Upvote 2

Well I was at the Portland State game....we were winning and the student section was leaving. I'm not arguing with you. Winning is huge! But we really need to find a way to keep the fans from just getting up and leaving at halftime.

Lighting, music and intro videos before the game have nothing to do with keeping people in the building at or after half time. It isn't about winning a single game. It's about building a winning tradition and a winning attitude. It's about developing a new tradition or reigniting the winning tradition the school had before the transition. People left at half time because that's what they're used to doing the past several years. They will stop doing it if the games are fun, interesting and competitive.

The crowds didn't get smaller all at once. They won't get bigger all at once. NDSU didn't start filling the building on a regular basis until they were in the playoffs, and they're a football school. Grand Forks follows winners, just like most towns. The Ralph wouldn't be full every night if UND wasn't in the playoffs every year, remember the only bad year the hockey team has had since they moved in the building was the second year in the building. Attendance for football is going to continue to build this year if the team keeps winning. It will be better next year, much better if the team makes the playoffs this year. Anyone who is expecting that somehow they are going to sell out the building every game right out of the chute is not dealing in reality. Win and they will come.

• Upvote 1

Lighting, music and intro videos before the game have nothing to do with keeping people in the building at or after half time. It isn't about winning a single game. It's about building a winning tradition and a winning attitude. It's about developing a new tradition or reigniting the winning tradition the school had before the transition. People left at half time because that's what they're used to doing the past several years. They will stop doing it if the games are fun, interesting and competitive.

The crowds didn't get smaller all at once. They won't get bigger all at once. NDSU didn't start filling the building on a regular basis until they were in the playoffs, and they're a football school. Grand Forks follows winners, just like most towns. The Ralph wouldn't be full every night if UND wasn't in the playoffs every year, remember the only bad year the hockey team has had since they moved in the building was the second year in the building. Attendance for football is going to continue to build this year if the team keeps winning. It will be better next year, much better if the team makes the playoffs this year. Anyone who is expecting that somehow they are going to sell out the building every game right out of the chute is not dealing in reality. Win and they will come.

This is definitely easier said than done....

So some gay looking devil, with a trident- bringing forth a sandstorm is supposed to get me jacked? Thanks, but I'll pass. I think if the student body took it upon themselves and decided to do something like singing- 7 Nation Army would be pretty neat- but the students would have to take it upon themselves to do- they could do it at anytime- heck while the other team had the ball even. Students at Wisconsin stay through the 3rd Quarter, why? Because of Jump Around, it's unbelievable...something like that would be cool too- but again it would take the initiative of some student leaders to reach out to Marketing. I've seen the marketing people at boosters, I asked them how many students are pro-active in coming up with ideas...response "not nearly enough" As I was told and I believe them, "when students come up with something themselves that's when things really take off, we've come up will a great deal-(they listed many things) but when the students take ownership of an idea, that's what really works." I think they (marketing) are right. Until our students want to take ownership, then things will not improve.

As I've posted before- I actually think the video looks good- unfortunately the sound in the Alerus is not good.

What is going to convince a family of 4 to go to a game on a Saturday afternoon and pay money to go to a game they can watch for free at home? That is the obstacle that UND and the Alerus need to address. While I agree winning well get people in the building, there needs to be other ways to get people there until the winning consistently happens. The family pack deal that I mentioned before is a great idea. Heck...charge 40 dollars for a ticket, hot dog, and a pop and that will get fans that may not have made the effort to go to a game attend the game if the price is right. Once they are there, then the in game atmosphere and more importantly the play of our team on the field will maybe convince them to come back again.

What is going to convince a family of 4 to go to a game on a Saturday afternoon and pay money to go to a game they can watch for free at home? That is the obstacle that UND and the Alerus need to address. While I agree winning well get people in the building, there needs to be other ways to get people there until the winning consistently happens. The family pack deal that I mentioned before is a great idea. Heck...charge 40 dollars for a ticket, hot dog, and a pop and that will get fans that may not have made the effort to go to a game attend the game if the price is right. Once they are there, then the in game atmosphere and more importantly the play of our team on the field will maybe convince them to come back again.

A family pack type deal is interesting, but wouldn't be as easy for UND football to implement as it is at Duke. UND controls the tickets but the Alerus controls concessions, whereas at Duke I believe that the University controls the venue. They would have to negotiate some kind of deal to make it work. UND has tried low cost tickets to attract people to games in the past. I believe I remember $5 tickets for some games. It can help bring some people in temporarily, but isn't a long term fix. If the team is winning most of the games, people will come to the games. The Ralph is sold out every night even though every game is on TV. The Ralph is a great building, but people keep coming because the team is winning every year. Winning will cure almost all attendance issues.

Some have mentioned finding way to keep the students involved in the games. Something NDSU has done that UC Davis used to do is to implement the idea of student section yell leaders. I believe many of the Big Ten schools have these and it is considered a great honor to be chosen for this job. Ohio State comes to mind as I know they have a very organized student section.

Anyway, it seems to really get the student section more involved and to take ownership of the chants/cheers they are doing. Something to think about if UND isn't already doing this to get the students all involved and have a great time at the games.

Edit: Also, something I've noticed is that once the student section is consistent about the cheers they do, the rest of the crowd picks up on it after a few games and pretty soon the whole crowd is into the cheers/chants. I believe atmosphere at the games begins with the student section as they will always be the most vocal of all of the fans and the rest of the stadium can feed off of that.

You guys are all off base here. Attendance will get better not through promotions or gimmicks but as a result of students graduating. Students who experienced transition football games have made up their mind that football here is boring, and they don't want to go back to the Alerus. Every year, when these kids graduate, they will replaced by a new crop of freshman who will have the opportunity to watch exciting football games and these students will keep coming back. The Alerus will be selling out like the Fargo Dome in three years time.

• Upvote 1

The biggest difference between the two venues is that UND has hockey. When a UND fan (non-student) is budgeting their entertainment dollars they have hockey, basketball and football tickets to consider with hockey being the biggest bite out the budget. If you have to choose because of finances football and basketball is going to be the odd ticket out.

When an NDSU fan (non-student) is budgeting their entertainment dollars they only have two choices - football and basketball - niether of which carries the ticket price of hockey (driven by more home games and higher prices).

Of course we are now in a whole new world for football and basketball with bigger named schools and bigger excitment around who is coming to town so I'm hoping my anology proves wrong. If the product is good and it's the place to be in the fall people will find the money. It's only 6 home games.