SiouxSports.com Forum

Ideas to fill the Alerus

Siouxperfan7

I would comment on this, but everytime I do I get told by someone that "It's not feasible" or "We won't get a good enough ROI (Return on Investment)" or any number of other lame excuses. I like some of the stuff I am reading here, but I think winning football games, winning conference titles and getting some home playoff games will take care of it. I look forward to the day that people are complaining that they can't get a ticket or that they cost more than they used to.

The biggest difference between the two venues is that UND has hockey. When a UND fan (non-student) is budgeting their entertainment dollars they have hockey, basketball and football tickets to consider with hockey being the biggest bite out the budget. If you have to choose because of finances football and basketball is going to be the odd ticket out.

When an NDSU fan (non-student) is budgeting their entertainment dollars they only have two choices - football and basketball - niether of which carries the ticket price of hockey (driven by more home games and higher prices).

Of course we are now in a whole new world for football and basketball with bigger named schools and bigger excitment around who is coming to town so I'm hoping my anology proves wrong. If the product is good and it's the place to be in the fall people will find the money. It's only 6 home games.

Football and basketball tickets are free until the student section is filled, it is part of the student fees. I believe that the first 1,900 students get free football tickets. I don't remember how many free seats are available for basketball. Students can ride a bus over to the Alerus Center for free, otherwise they would have to pay $5 to park. That is the only charge for either football or basketball.

Hockey tickets for students are sold, and that cost is a consideration. It doesn't seem to slow demand for student tickets. Students don't have the cost excuse at all for football and basketball so that shouldn't be a consideration.

Some have mentioned finding way to keep the students involved in the games. Something NDSU has done that UC Davis used to do is to implement the idea of student section yell leaders. I believe many of the Big Ten schools have these and it is considered a great honor to be chosen for this job. Ohio State comes to mind as I know they have a very organized student section.

Anyway, it seems to really get the student section more involved and to take ownership of the chants/cheers they are doing. Something to think about if UND isn't already doing this to get the students all involved and have a great time at the games.

Edit: Also, something I've noticed is that once the student section is consistent about the cheers they do, the rest of the crowd picks up on it after a few games and pretty soon the whole crowd is into the cheers/chants. I believe atmosphere at the games begins with the student section as they will always be the most vocal of all of the fans and the rest of the stadium can feed off of that.

This idea makes a lot of sense. I've heard of section yell leaders before and don't believe that UND has ever done that, at least not in my memory. Getting student involvement is a real key for all college sports. If this works in other places there is a good chance it would work at UND.

This idea makes a lot of sense. I've heard of section yell leaders before and don't believe that UND has ever done that, at least not in my memory. Getting student involvement is a real key for all college sports. If this works in other places there is a good chance it would work at UND.

It has worked really well for us. They get the students on the same page.

Football and basketball tickets are free until the student section is filled, it is part of the student fees. I believe that the first 1,900 students get free football tickets. I don't remember how many free seats are available for basketball. Students can ride a bus over to the Alerus Center for free, otherwise they would have to pay $5 to park. That is the only charge for either football or basketball.

Hockey tickets for students are sold, and that cost is a consideration. It doesn't seem to slow demand for student tickets. Students don't have the cost excuse at all for football and basketball so that shouldn't be a consideration.

My thoughts weren't about students tickets, it's the families that have to work a budget.

What is going to convince a family of 4 to go to a game on a Saturday afternoon and pay money to go to a game they can watch for free at home? That is the obstacle that UND and the Alerus need to address. While I agree winning well get people in the building, there needs to be other ways to get people there until the winning consistently happens. The family pack deal that I mentioned before is a great idea. Heck...charge 40 dollars for a ticket, hot dog, and a pop and that will get fans that may not have made the effort to go to a game attend the game if the price is right. Once they are there, then the in game atmosphere and more importantly the play of our team on the field will maybe convince them to come back again.

I confess I stayed home and watched. TV is the best seat in the house. When the game is televised, I will stay home and watch unless it's a compelling game. I listened to the SDMines game on the radio and watched Portland State on TV. 50/50 chance I go to Cal Poly. I'll go to Montana for sure. Northern Arizona does nothing for me. Southern Utah is a possibility. Depends on late season ramifications.

All these chants and yell leader crap is worthless unless you have a large crowd. Winning will create the atmosphere and tradition.

You guys are all off base here. Attendance will get better not through promotions or gimmicks but as a result of students graduating. Students who experienced transition football games have made up their mind that football here is boring, and they don't want to go back to the Alerus. Every year, when these kids graduate, they will replaced by a new crop of freshman who will have the opportunity to watch exciting football games and these students will keep coming back. The Alerus will be selling out like the Fargo Dome in three years time.

This certainly makes sense, and it goes along with the 'just win, baby' theory; patience young grasshoppers.

Some have mentioned finding way to keep the students involved in the games. Something NDSU has done that UC Davis used to do is to implement the idea of student section yell leaders. I believe many of the Big Ten schools have these and it is considered a great honor to be chosen for this job. Ohio State comes to mind as I know they have a very organized student section.

Anyway, it seems to really get the student section more involved and to take ownership of the chants/cheers they are doing. Something to think about if UND isn't already doing this to get the students all involved and have a great time at the games.

Edit: Also, something I've noticed is that once the student section is consistent about the cheers they do, the rest of the crowd picks up on it after a few games and pretty soon the whole crowd is into the cheers/chants. I believe atmosphere at the games begins with the student section as they will always be the most vocal of all of the fans and the rest of the stadium can feed off of that.

I have heard about the yell leaders at NDSU. From what you say the seem to work. While I appreciated the increased student support of actually filling the student section, I was disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm they showed. Yes, the student section was full for the first two games. But for 90 of the game they just stood there. No cheering unless we scored or it was 3rd down. The addition of yell leaders would not only get the students into the game, but the yells and cheers would spread to the rest of the fans. Imagine all the fans chanting the same thing at the same time. It would make for a great atmosphere. People that normally wouldn't attend games may want to check out this new exciting atmosphere at the Alerus and we would get more people at games!!

My thoughts weren't about students tickets, it's the families that have to work a budget.

Sorry, I wasn't paying close enough attention. Discretionary income is always an issue that needs to be dealt with. But it isn't just UND hockey versus UND football and/or basketball. If you are talking discretionary income you have to throw in concerts, movies, vacations, lake homes, new vehicles, etc. You also have to throw in activities for the kids, like dance or sports. Lots of things to spend money on for families. You have to give families a reason to spend money on football tickets rather than whatever else is on their list.

I have heard about the yell leaders at NDSU. From what you say the seem to work. While I appreciated the increased student support of actually filling the student section, I was disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm they showed. Yes, the student section was full for the first two games. But for 90 of the game they just stood there. No cheering unless we scored or it was 3rd down. The addition of yell leaders would not only get the students into the game, but the yells and cheers would spread to the rest of the fans. Imagine all the fans chanting the same thing at the same time. It would make for a great atmosphere. People that normally wouldn't attend games may want to check out this new exciting atmosphere at the Alerus and we would get more people at games!!

So your telling me you actually copy what the cheerleaders do? What are they going to put up signs that say "cheer?" A yell leader does nothing. Winning cures all. Nuff said.

So your telling me you actually copy what the cheerleaders do? What are they going to put up signs that say "cheer?" A yell leader does nothing. Winning cures all. Nuff said.

No. Cheerleaders do nothing. The yell leaders in Fargo have been effective. They don't hold up signs like that, they signal to get quiet if we have the ball, help get the students closer to the field to start making noise, which results in the whole student section making noise, which results in the dome making noise.

No. Cheerleaders do nothing. The yell leaders in Fargo have been effective. They don't hold up signs like that, they signal to get quiet if we have the ball, help get the students closer to the field to start making noise, which results in the whole student section making noise, which results in the dome making noise.

From what I hear the Fargodome is louder with less annoying distractions. Bison fans always reference the playoff game 2 years ago against Robert Morris. Had to be a neutral field. No annoying PA announcer telling people what to do. Had to be a "neutral field" so they didn't use things like yell leaders and explosions when they scored. More proof that the games create atmosphere.

It's not effective. A yell leader in a skirt doesn't create atmosphere. Winning does. Good games do. Genuine excitement will show when it's a big deal. You can't coach excitement.

If you think the Fargodome became loud because they introduced a yell leader, you're retarded. It's always been loud. The playoffs provided an exiciting game experience.

Winning will get fans into the stands, expecially if you can do it constantly. But it does take time. My Highschool didn't win a fb game for like 5 years, and the week we won one we had twice as many fans, but last year when we were in every game late, and fell just short of .500 our games were packed till the end.

In hockey, we seemed to get more fans once the sex chants started being used all the time.