SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

99.9% of Bisonvillers aren't Bison. They are Bison fans. Very different. You won't hear any former players either disowning these players for their contribution or defending them.

99.9% of Bisonvillers claim they are Bison, even if they never played.

You miss the point: where are these "Bison" helping make these players accountable after being a "Bison". Life is redeemable, but "Bison" seemed to be routinely dumped to the curb after their usefulness is over.

You miss the point: where are these "Bison" helping make these players accountable after being a "Bison". Life is redeemable, but "Bison" seemed to be routinely dumped to the curb after their usefulness is over.

Wow, how much more can you sensationalize and generalize one incident? As I said, no player will either disown these guys or defend their actions. Fans are great, but "Once a Bison, Always a Bison" doesn't have one thing to do with a fan.

Wow, how much more can you sensationalize and generalize one incident? As I said, no player will either disown these guys or defend their actions. Fans are great, but "Once a Bison, Always a Bison" doesn't have one thing to do with a fan.

This latest story is not one incident. It's a series of incidents that show an incredible amount of stupidity and lack of civic maturity over an extended amount of time. In most states, what they did would have been serious felonies.

You simply don't get it. "Not smart enough, grown up enough or sophisticated enough" applies to not only players, but posters like you.

• Upvote 1

This latest story is not one incident. It's a series of incidents that show an incredible amount of stupidity and lack of civic maturity over an extended amount of time. In most states, what they did would have been serious felonies.

You simply don't get it. "Not smart enough, grown up enough or sophisticated enough" applies to not only players, but posters like you.

What's the old saying about running out of ideas so turning to personal insults? Thanks for giving me credit for having a superior mind, I appreciate the complement.

That's a little rough.

Bottom line is it's bigger news because of who they are: "Ex-Bison football players." It doesn't matter what their status with the team is now. Bizon buttfootball is huge in Fargo, and rightly so, the headlines are going to be bigger for these guys because of the amount of news the scandal has already gotten and, again, because of who they are. If they were Johnny Nobody who shirked his responsibility you prolly wouldn't hear about it at all. For those having a problem with them being referred to has "Ex-Bison," until they do something else in their lives that merits a new descriptor (i.e. serve on City Council, get elected president, work as Chief of Police of Fargo :lol: , become a TV meteorologist or whatever, this is how they'll be described -- for better or for worse.

Lastly, Gene Taylor's a big boy. If he's asked about this by the media, I am sure he will handle himself just fine.

That's a little rough.

Hope you understand that the quote is what the judge spoke over the players when there were sentenced. Since so many Bison fans thought the whole forgery deal didn't deserve anything, it damn well applies to them too.

"Not smart enough, grown up enough or sophisticated enough"

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/10-ndsu-players-plead-guilty-petition-fraud

Hope you understand that the quote is what the judge spoke over the players when there were sentenced. Since so many Bison fans thought the whole forgery deal didn't deserve anything, it damn well applies to them too.

"Not smart enough, grown up enough or sophisticated enough"

http://bigstory.ap.o...-petition-fraud

Hope you understand it's the part of the bolded that you left off that I was referring to. :) I will be more exact next time.

Looks like the players took their charges as seriously as bohl and their ad did;)

As much as I don't want to agree, I think this is probably a pretty fair assessment of the situation.

I will say though, the players who are accused in this latest incident weren't under Bohl's authority during the original incident. Maybe that can tell us something about how it was really treated behind the scenes for the players on the team. The players who were still with the team obviously had it demonstrated to them it was more serious than the ones who weren't with the team.

So you wanna bet that Bohl's staff wasn't parenting the current players on completing their community service? The staff were riding their asses to get it done on time. Bohl parents these kids until their done with eligibility, and then dumps them to the curb.

Once again, why would Bohl be involved with young men who finished their eligibility, he kicked off, or quit the team? Do you think that Muss is still involved with every UND player who has graduated, he kicked off, or who quit the team?

How many players do you want every Bison fan to care about? I see DJ around from time to time, should I have went up to him and said, "Yo Deej, got your community service hours done bruh?"

I'm all for second chances. These guys had their second chance, and they blew it.

Agree with 06 that no comment is necessary for this from Bohl or anybody else at ndsu and the school is no longer responsible for babysitting these players. Does it still reflect poorly on ndsu and their football team? Yes, but that doesn't mean they need to respond to it. Is it newsworthy? Absolutely, otherwise nobody would be talking about it.

As much as I don't want to agree, I think this is probably a pretty fair assessment of the situation.

I will say though, the players who are accused in this latest incident weren't under Bohl's authority during the original incident. Maybe that can tell us something about how it was really treated behind the scenes for the players on the team. The players who were still with the team obviously had it demonstrated to them it was more serious than the ones who weren't with the team.

I'm pretty sure that Boyd was under Bohl's authority. He played in 4 games last season.

GT better really like Fargo because after this ongoing fiasco he isn't getting a better AD gig anywhere else. Talk about a total lack of leadership at the head of the athletic dept.! Not creating any accountability from day 1 has trickled down to this most recent situation.

• Upvote 1

Don't you see this puts another black eye on the football program's off-field problems? I know they are done with the team but still it looks bad, especially when the charges were announced to the public and both Both and Taylor (especially Taylor) cried out no suspensions. Also remember the players were most likely playing at the time of the crimes plus Bohl knew about the charges before it was announced to the press.

Darrell, did you start a 92 page thread on the former UND football players who had drug and sterioid issues last year? After you start that thread and show a little objectivity, I'll start to little to your BS. Did you start that thread, or was that topic hidden a the end of a game thread somewhere like everthing negative at UND? I guess these types of issues are only a big deal when they happen at NDSU, even though they happen just as much in your back yard. If you want to go tit-for-tat on UND vs NDSU brushes with the law, that's a pretty even match.

I'm not minimizing this issue to follow-up on court ordered actions. Not taking care of the court ordered follow-up activities is pretty stupid, and speaks to the character of these 3-4 guys. But I don't hold administration responsible for guys that are no longer at school or on the team, anymore that this board did when former football players at UND were brought up on drug charges.

If I am the judge in the case, the one very obvious point is that the players and former players did not do the work when they were gathering the petition signatures and these few individuals did not do the work after the court case. They had their chance at redemption and blew it. Now I throw the book at them and hope it provides an education. But, if I had been Lindsay Lohan's judge, she never would have gotten in trouble for times 4-10 because she wouldn't have been out of jail yet.

I think the blame here falls on the individual and their parents and/or guardian. The coaches at all schools can't hold these people's hands 24/7/365. They need to show some responsibility for their actions.

GT better really like Fargo because after this ongoing fiasco he isn't getting a better AD gig anywhere else. Talk about a total lack of leadership at the head of the athletic dept.! Not creating any accountability from day 1 has trickled down to this most recent situation.

That sounds a little extreme, but I do believe the tone at the top at ndsu is pretty bad and it does trickle down to the "student-athletes."

• Upvote 1

Haven't these guys suffered enough??? Oh wait, they aren't part of the team anymore....nevermind.

I think most folks would say they had suffered enough if they had just gotten the hours of work done. These folks didn't.

Darrell, did you start a 92 page thread on the former UND football players who had drug and sterioid issues last year? After you start that thread and show a little objectivity, I'll start to little to your BS. Did you start that thread, or was that topic hidden a the end of a game thread somewhere like everthing negative at UND? I guess these types of issues are only a big deal when they happen at NDSU, even though they happen just as much in your back yard. If you want to go tit-for-tat on UND vs NDSU brushes with the law, that's a pretty even match.

I'm not minimizing this issue to follow-up on court ordered actions. Not taking care of the court ordered follow-up activities is pretty stupid, and speaks to the character of these 3-4 guys. But I don't hold administration responsible for guys that are no longer at school or on the team, anymore that this board did when former football players at UND were brought up on drug charges.

Those players were stripped of their letters and to my knowledge will not have them reinstated even though two of the three had the charges against them dismissed due to overzealous police work by the GFPD. NDSU has not doled out any punishment that is any ways comparable.

While I agree that Bohl and Taylor have no obligation to comment on these charges, I think this incident is indicative of a larger problem at NDSU. These players spent between 2-4 years in the NDSU football program and apparently lack any moral compass. On another board you have a booster who is now actively threatening a female reporter for simply doing her job and is encouraging others to harass and intimidate her. At one point does it become a lack of institutional control on NDSU's part. These players obviously felt they were above the law at NDSU and continue to think they are so. Lakesbison has been allowed to pursue all sorts of questionable and borderline criminal behaviors and yet he's received nothing in terms of sanction from the NDSU athletic department or from Teammakers. In my opinion, both are clear cases of an institution that's displaying a complete lack of institutional control over it's football program.

• Upvote 2

I'm not about to throw comments towards NDSU for the actions of these former players. For one thing there really isn't anything that NDSU can do about it anyway. I'm sure NDSU and their fans are disappointed with these former players actions. The only reason this was front page material is due to NDSU's success on the field. NDSU football is huge in Fargo and the entire region, that helps sell the Forum when you can put those items in headlines. Yes, in my opinion NDSU should have handled the original situation and current players differently.

Another reason is UND has had it's share of bad apples over the years and there is no doubt in my mind that we will probably have more in the future. Schools deal with kids who make bad choices every year. You never hear about them unless they are athletes, that's why they are news worthy afterall. It's unfortunate that people make stupid mistakes, worse that they fail to learn from them!

It's unfortunate that the press always seems to print the bad stuff that people do and very little of the good things get any press at all. I know many student athletes who donate time to worthy causes that never have front page stories about it. Nature of the media I suppose. Not saying that this story should not have been printed, obviously it is news. It would be nice if they printed some of the good things athletes do off the field once in awhile though.

• Upvote 1

Those players were stripped of their letters and to my knowledge will not have them reinstated even though two of the three had the charges against them dismissed due to overzealous police work by the GFPD. NDSU has not doled out any punishment that is any ways comparable.

On top of that, from what I heard they were not even acknowledged at the annual team banquet after the season. The charges happened after the season but before the banquet.

Lakesbison has been allowed to pursue all sorts of questionable and borderline criminal behaviors and yet he's received nothing in terms of sanction from the NDSU athletic department or from Teammakers.

Seriously? Now it's up to NDSU to somehow stop an idiotic fan from posting crap on the internet?? Good grief!

Seriously? Now it's up to NDSU to somehow stop an idiotic fan from posting crap on the internet?? Good grief!

He's a booster. There is nothing that says he needs to remain a member of Teammakers. Schools suspend boosters all of the time for crossing the line. Look it up online. His actions regarding this are completely inappropriate as they have been in the past, yet NDSU continues to allow him access to their players and continues to allow him to be a member of their booster club.