SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

Yes, RMU was before the news broke; however, Bohl admitted at his press conference the Tuesday before the CSU game (three days after the RMU game) that he's known about this issue for a couple weeks. He could've sat them for RMU for a generic "violation of team rules". When this broke later he could've told everyone that he's already dealt with it while reserving the right to do more after their day in court.

Maybe this wasn't in violation of any team rules! :huh:

What exactly is wrong with his background besides this on incident? Enlighten me......

If you don't think this incident isn't that big of an issue, you have some thick green and gold glasses on. Not only are we talking about how LAZY and INCOMPETENT these players are but they also DEFRAUDED the state of North Dakota. This might get overlooked if he was a guaranteed 1st round pick but he isn't. This issue will follow him where ever he goes and it will be hard to overcome (not saying he can't, just harder).

Trumaine Johnson from Montana still went in the 2nd round. To say there are 100's of better players could be true, it should be noted though that in Marcus's last two FBS games he has looked like he is a step above them. I don't know where he is projected as a prospect but if he went somewhere in the 3-4 round range I don't think too many people would be surprised.

I could see him falling that far because of this, which is pretty sad because he easily could have been a 2nd rounder.

Http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/search.aspx

City of Fargo vs Beck, Travis Andrew (LB, NDSU)

7/23/2012. Resisting a police officer

7/23/2012. Minor Purchase Alcohol

9/11/2012. Court Date

Also,

06/06/2011. Minor (2nd)

Deferred Sentence

Condition: Violate no criminal laws through 12/6/2012

Guess the defendant may have had a compelling reason to resist a police office with the previous deferred sentence.

Wish him all the best, but he's been playing with no suspension for multiple minors, buying as a minor, and a resisting police charge.

This one is pretty tough for Bohl and Taylor:

- it's a second alcohol offense for the kid (class B misdemeanor)

- he also resisted a law officer (is this a class A misdemeanor or a B misdemeanor?)

- he hasn't been suspended

- he's still on the team

So which is it?

Hard-core stance on misdemeanors meaning you're gone ala Jemison, or

We're tough on fighting and booze (but not fraud) misdemeanors, or

The "their day in court" misdemeanors.

A second MIP, with a bonus, a resisting charge, hasn't kept this one off the field yet.

- he also resisted a law officer (is this a class A misdemeanor or a B misdemeanor?)

- he's still on the team

So which is it?

A second MIP, with a bonus, a resisting charge, hasn't kept this one off the field yet.

I'm sure he had to do some extra conditioning as well. Maybe a couple extra sprints or something to really teach him a lesson.

- he's still on the team

So which is it?

I am sure that we will hear that he was unfairly victimized and publicly scorned by the media.

RT @MikeMcFeelyKFGO: Tom Becka of Talk 101.9 FM came up with new slogan for NDSU football: "Bison football: Kickin' cops ass, Faking names, being a bunch of Knuckle Heads and putting the arrogance back in NDSU Football!"

Fixed it even more.

here is a good one from the NDSU fan blog.

Hats off to Coach Bohl and Gene Taylor for doing what is right. I know you are thinking about the petition suspicion, but nope, not here not now. I am talking about scheduling of games. Every year we keep hearing about the scheduling of UND and how it is popular to say we need this game. We had more fans in Colorado than UND usually gets for home games. This was a non-conference game# 2, three states away. Why would we want to play this game unless we hosted it every year. The only reason they would blow the roof off the barn up there is because it is us they would be playing.

I honestly can't wait till UND can knock Moo-U off in football. I don't see it being too long before UND rises to that level as well.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 2

Fixed it even more.

here is a good one from the NDSU fan blog.

I honestly can't wait till UND can knock Moo-U off in football. I don't see it being too long before UND rises to that level as well.

The arrogance of these people is back to the level it was in the 1980's when our program was in the toilet and they were winning national titles every other year. Well, we aren't in the toilet anymore and I hope we get matched up with them in the playoffs and beat them so we can shut them up. :angry:

Screw the Bison.......the March is OVER! :angry:

The arrogance of these people is back to the level it was in the 1980's when our program was in the toilet and they were winning national titles every other year. Well, we aren't in the toilet anymore and I hope we get matched up with them in the playoffs and beat them so we can shut them up. :angry:

Screw the Bison.......the March is OVER! :angry:

That sounds good. But, as Reginald VelJohnson told Bruce Willis in Die Hard, "now that's a date, but your're gonna have to bring the ice cream."

If you don't think this incident isn't that big of an issue, you have some thick green and gold glasses on. Not only are we talking about how LAZY and INCOMPETENT these players are but they also DEFRAUDED the state of North Dakota. This might get overlooked if he was a guaranteed 1st round pick but he isn't. This issue will follow him where ever he goes and it will be hard to overcome (not saying he can't, just harder).

If he stays out of trouble this offense might not even be on his record when he is drafted. From a legal perspective it is minor, sorry to burst your bubble but NFL execs are more worried about things like drugs, DUIs, assault charges, rape allegations, etc. This was a kid being lazy and stupid, what he did was wrong but it won't be anything he has to worry about in regards to the NFL. You people on this board have completely blown this out of proportion, that said I can't blame you too much because if the tables were turned the same thing would be happening at Bisonville.

If he stays out of trouble this offense might not even be on his record when he is drafted. From a legal perspective it is minor, sorry to burst your bubble but NFL execs are more worried about things like drugs, DUIs, assault charges, rape allegations, etc. This was a kid being lazy and stupid, what he did was wrong but it won't be anything he has to worry about in regards to the NFL. You people on this board have completely blown this out of proportion, that said I can't blame you too much because if the tables were turned the same thing would be happening at Bisonville.

The NFL won't care much about this issue. They are more concerned with substance abuse and violence related issues. If people perform on the field they normally get an opportunity. Other businesses will avoid these players. Businesses in banking, financial services and other financially related businesses will consider this a major issue. Other businesses may also reject their applications as soon as they find out about the issue. Forging signatures and fraud are considered significant by many businesses, no matter what Bville believes. Of course Bville is only worried about the on field product, so they don't care about the other issues. I also consider interfering with an election a major issue.

The NFL won't care much about this issue. They are more concerned with substance abuse and violence related issues. If people perform on the field they normally get an opportunity. Other businesses will avoid these players. Businesses in banking, financial services and other financially related businesses will consider this a major issue. Other businesses may also reject their applications as soon as they find out about the issue. Forging signatures and fraud are considered significant by many businesses, no matter what Bville believes. Of course Bville is only worried about the on field product, so they don't care about the other issues. I also consider interfering with an election a major issue.

Not disagreeing with anything above, but the reality is he might have a 3-5 year NFL career at best. He is still going to have to find work in "other businesses" at some point. And this type of thing will linger past his NFL career if that even occurs.

What would I do?

I'd have suspended for the RMU game while reserving the right to enforce additional sanctions after their court date.

Fair enough, probably a good approach. I think the kicker for the coach and ad is that they are being advised that the case will likely be plead at a lesser level than the current charge . . . thus the stance of letting this thing play out. Even if there is a lesser Plea below a Class A Mis, at least a one game suspension is likely, so why not do it up front.

Mike McFeeley is all over the Travis Beck situation on his twitter account. Looks like he is not giving up any time soon.

This is the kind of stuf Gene Taylor brought upon his athletic department with his comments on Saturday. I know it was bad before but after the comments KFGO and the Forum are going to be huddled around the police scanners waiting for the next NDSU athlete to get arrested. And now it doesn't matter if its a member of the dance team, everyone is going to be compared to these guys and it starts with Travis Beck. No one would have known any different about Beck's summer arrest, but now the questions begin- Why did he already play two games and why will he be allowed to be on strike 4 if drinking and running from the law(resisting arrest) are taken so seriously? This isn't going away anytime soon and although the players may not deserve it, it couldn't happen to a better guy than Gene Taylor.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough, probably a good approach. I think the kicker for the coach and ad is that they are being advised that the case will likely be plead at a lesser level than the current charge . . . thus the stance of letting this thing play out. Even if there is a lesser Plea below a Class A Mis, at least a one game suspension is likely, so why not do it up front.

It is possible that they could plead to a lesser offense, although that is less likely since they all seem to have admitted to the crime to investigators. Those admissions should help them with sentencing, getting them less than the max penalties. But charges are often reduced in plea deals. The school should deal with what actually happened in the case, not what kind of deal the lawyers can work out. The players committed a crime, and yet Gene Taylor has now proclaimed that they will not be suspended.

Your coach ruled that one out today? No suspensions will come. Question for you and other Bison fans- How many strikes does a starting running back get at NDSU?

Suspending for a game up front takes the teeth out of the tiger. Publicly stating that you're reserving the right to additional actions after the court date silences the crowd that says you're not taking it seriously enough. Taking that approach would've left no question as to motivations or who's in charge.

Instead it seems that Bohl and Taylor are completely tone deaf to ND politics (much less the key message from Penn State: "Get out in front of it before it rolls over and crushes you.")

This is the kind of stuf Gene Taylor brought upon his athletic department with his comments on Saturday. I know it was bad before but after the comments KFGO and the Forum are going to be huddled around the police scanners waiting for the next NDSU athlete to get arrested. And now it doesn't matter if its a member of the dance team, everyone is going to be compared to these guys and it starts with Travis Beck. No one would have known any different about Beck's summer arrest, but now the questions begin- Why did he already play two games and why will he be allowed to be on strike 4 if drinking and running from the law(resisting arrest) are taken so seriously? This isn't going away anytime soon and although the players may not deserve it, it couldn't happen to a better guy than Gene Taylor.

Maybe Taylor doesn't understand that a Class A Misdemeanor is just 1 step below a felony. From the North Dakota Century Code:

12.1-08-02. Preventing arrest or discharge of other duties.

1. A person is guilty of a class A misdemeanor if, with intent to prevent a public servant

from effecting an arrest of himself or another for a misdemeanor or infraction, or from

discharging any other official duty, he creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to the

public servant or to anyone except himself, or employs means justifying or requiring

substantial force to overcome resistance to effecting the arrest or the discharge of the

duty. A person is guilty of a class C felony if, with intent to prevent a public servant

from effecting an arrest of himself or another for a class A, B, or C felony, he creates a

substantial risk of bodily injury to the public servant or to anyone except himself, or

employs means justifying or requiring substantial force to overcome resistance to

effecting such an arrest.

So Beck was already sentenced for 1 offense and is facing 2 more in court, with 1 of those being a Class A Misdemeanor. I guess that there is no reason that he should be punished by the team, too.

That sounds good. But, as Reginald VelJohnson told Bruce Willis in Die Hard, "now that's a date, but your're gonna have to bring the ice cream."

When the time comes, we'll bring all the ice cream we need to freeze NDSU over. They have been ripping on us for five years on the nickname soap opera, our rocky transition, our choice of conference (sorry boys, the Big Sky is the better choice) and anything else they can dream up. This whole Petitiongate scandal is just karma bitting them in their bloated, egotistical backsides. :angry:

So, Bison Nation, don't sing it.............BRING IT!!! :glare:

• Upvote 1