SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome to the Big Sky

clawman

As an outsider, I see the 2012 season for UND as very tough to predict.

This winter after last year's season, I would have predicted a very different outcome for UND's season.

I originally saw it playing out like this: UND has been a team built in the "Midwestern style" mold for as long as I can remember. They are tough team who knows how to stop the run and has a great offensive line year in and year out. They had the ability to pass, but from my perspective at least had always been a "establish the run to set up the pass" type of team. And UND has been very good at running the ball over the years as a result.

Coming into the big sky with the stop the run/establish the run style of play I believe would have been an advantage at first.(See NDSU's success against the big sky style of play) I thought that UND would win a lot of games in the first couple of year because they had a different style. I thought UND would eventually try to match the style of play in the Big Sky and then struggle for a number of years as a result of trying to play someone else's game with what are usually inferior athletes. Let me explain the inferior athletes comment. Compared to teams on the coasts and in the south, I believe that both NDSU and UND are at a disadvantage in terms of raw talent. I have seen superior athletes on most teams that NDSU has played over the years and we beat them with great coaching and assignment sound football. Don't get me wrong both NDSU and UND have great athletes, but as a general rule I believe it to be true, you're welcome to disagree if you like. UND would eventually realize the strength of UND has been stop the run/establish the run and return to that style of play after 4-5 years of struggling.

What I see now is actually concerning in terms of how I had predicted UND's entrance into the big sky. Concerning because I believe that in a way UND is already trying to match the big sky style of play by having more of a sling the ball around 4 and 5 receiver sets attack on offense. I see UND struggling more than they would have as a result of "changing" their style of play to match the big sky and doing so with lesser athletes in most cases.(see above explanation).

Again this is just my perspective on the events so I may be way off, after all know one knows for sure how events will play out. But, I think UND will struggle in the Big Sky until they return to UND football of old.

I am not here to rain on your parade at all. I just see UND trying to fit into the big sky style of play vs. making the big sky adjust to how UND plays.

I can see how it would appear that we're changing our style based on talk on this board and coverage of camp so far. I think the reason for a focus on the passing game is primarily because we are bringing in a guy at quarterback who has just 1 spring session in our system and we're relying heavily on him to start. He needs all the reps he can possibly get to get used to the system and build chemistry with our receivers. It was also a glaring weakness over the past two years and improving the passing game to compliment a successful running game is priority #1.

I also think keeping our running backs fresh is a priority and rightly so. Sutton is a senior and has a lot experience in the system and Miller has a lot of game experience for only being a sophomore. This experience lessens the need for a lot of reps in practice as both guys should be pretty familiar with the playbook and comfortable with the system. There are also concerns about health for both of them. Sutton has had a history of minor nagging injuries and and limiting practice reps before gametime should help to keep him healthy. There are also some that are concerned Miller won't be able to take the beating of a more difficult schedule because of his size so keeping him fresh should alleviate those concerns at least a little bit.

I can see how it would appear that we're changing our style based on talk on this board and coverage of camp so far. I think the reason for a focus on the passing game is primarily because we are bringing in a guy at quarterback who has just 1 spring session in our system and we're relying heavily on him to start. He needs all the reps he can possibly get to get used to the system and build chemistry with our receivers. It was also a glaring weakness over the past two years and improving the passing game to compliment a successful running game is priority #1.

I also think keeping our running backs fresh is a priority and rightly so. Sutton is a senior and has a lot experience in the system and Miller has a lot of game experience for only being a sophomore. This experience lessens the need for a lot of reps in practice as both guys should be pretty familiar with the playbook and comfortable with the system. There are also concerns about health for both of them. Sutton has had a history of minor nagging injuries and and limiting practice reps before gametime should help to keep him healthy. There are also some that are concerned Miller won't be able to take the beating of a more difficult schedule because of his size so keeping him fresh should alleviate those concerns at least a little bit.

Also, Jer Garmin makes a very solid third RB. From what I have seen PJ Sparks is looking pretty good too. Long story short we are in good shape at RB and the passing game is getting worked because of the reasons in your post.

It also seems that PJ would fill in that "between the tackles" runner role that Sutton currently occupies nicely next year. That way we have Miller and Garman as speedsters and Sparks as a bruiser for the next few years. I hope the coaches can continue to find a mix of bigger backs and speedsters as I really like the flexibility in our running game.

It also seems that PJ would fill in that "between the tackles" runner role that Sutton currently occupies nicely next year. That way we have Miller and Garman as speedsters and Sparks as a bruiser for the next few years. I hope the coaches can continue to find a mix of bigger backs and speedsters as I really like the flexibility in our running game.

Absolutely, I think a good "size mix" is key at this level; keep the defense guessing.

Absolutely, I think a good "size mix" is key at this level; keep the defense guessing.

I agree - then if you think about the mix of size and speed at receiver it gets really interesting. I can see Miller and Garman being mixed with Townsend and Jackson to create mismatches on the edge as large receivers on small corners and Miller and Garman matched with LBs. Plus, Townsend and Jackson raising hell in the secondary with some devestating blocks. WR can get some serious angles on LBs and safeties. I am really looking forward to seeing the formation and personal package combinations this year.

OK, not to put a curse or hex on anything, but I'm going to talk about the 800 pound gorilla in the corner of the room: Quarterback.

If the nightmare scenario were to come to pass, namely, both of "my two sons" go down (Hanson, Hendrickson), what does Muss do?

Here's my notion: If the third loss is already in the L column were it to happen, you bring in the third "son", Jake Hanson from Grafton, to finish out the season at QB. Why? You keep all of the eligibility on Bartels and Mollberg.

I don't want to see this come to pass, but when's the last time UND had a QB take every snap in a season? :(

Take nothing away from PJ, but, for my money, A Schaugabay has been really tearing it up this summer at running back. He looks like a man on a mission. That said, PJ had a really good scrimmage today at Memorial Stadium. He looked the sharpest I've seen him so far.

D. Idowu and Devin Coyle had nice INTs today that went for 6. One off Hanson, the other off Hendrickson. In both cases, the DBs stepped in front of the receivers at the last second. If they'd missed it would have been big yardage the other way. Hard to fault anyone in those cases ... just good athleticism by both DBs.

OK, not to put a curse or hex on anything, but I'm going to talk about the 800 pound gorilla in the corner of the room: Quarterback.

If the nightmare scenario were to come to pass, namely, both of "my two sons" go down (Hanson, Hendrickson), what does Muss do?

Here's my notion: If the third loss is already in the L column were it to happen, you bring in the third "son", Jake Hanson from Grafton, to finish out the season at QB. Why? You keep all of the eligibility on Bartels and Mollberg.

I don't want to see this come to pass, but when's the last time UND had a QB take every snap in a season? :sad:

It's ironic you posted that because I was at the scrimmage today and when Hanson went in I thought the same. But after watching him get tripped twice when taking a snap I don't know how you could. And he is way small compared to everyone else.

Take nothing away from PJ, but, for my money, A Schaugabay has been really tearing it up this summer at running back. He looks like a man on a mission. That said, PJ had a really good scrimmage today at Memorial Stadium. He looked the sharpest I've seen him so far.

He put a great stutter step slow down burst move on that would've been TD. One thing I didn't like by him today was when in goal line he tried move again instead of full speed ahead and ended up fumbling.

He put a great stutter step slow down burst move on that would've been TD. One thing I didn't like by him today was when in goal line he tried move again instead of full speed ahead and ended up fumbling.

Hmmm? I missed that fumble... got there later than I would have liked. Darn kids!

I don't want to see this come to pass, but when's the last time UND had a QB take every snap in a season? :sad:

If Hendrickson ends up taking more than 30% of the snaps for UND's offense I don't see it being a very productive year. I think a successful season depends on the 800 pound gorilla staying healthy.

Completely agree with using Hanson. Unless UND is in serious playoff contention. Then its Joe time.

Atta boy (or not) Cratter. That's the kind of spirit that every fan should bring to the table. ND's game against us (the Viks) will be a good measure of where ND's chances are of running the table in the Big Sky, because that is probably what you will need to do to win it. Hope everybody stays healthy and is up for the challenge.

P.S. I don't know if I've mentioned this in another post somewhere, but I really respect and enjoy this forum - your contributors are informed, and though passionate, are also practical. I also enjoy the banter between ND & NDS. It's healthier than what I see on a few of the other forums, and I think your moderators know when to draw the line.

Good luck this season and into the future (except against us, of course) !

I don't know. I think we have a good shot against the Minnesota Vikings this year. After all, Kleinsasser retired! :silly:

It certainly is an interesting argument, but the philosophy of Mussman and the program is to win NOW - don't hold anything back for another season. In the very unfortunate event both B.Hanson and Hendrickson go down, you would likely see Mollberg step in and play as he gives us the best chance to win. Putting Jake Hanson in the starting role would be the next thing to forfeiting the season given the talent of Mollberg and even Bartels. After seeing Hanson practice this fall, I don't think he will even be on the team after this season. The only reason he will be on the team this season is the because of the hole left by Joey Bradley's departure.

No way in hell Hanson will see the field this year. On a lighter note I bet Galladay gets his shirt pulled. I'd put money on it.

For fun, I'll take that bet! With all respect, I just don't think we need it pulled with our depth at WR. I will give you full props if he gets it pulled though!

If he gets his shirt pulled, he better catch 40 balls and 4 TDs at minimum.

I just don't think it's a good idea unless injuries force their hand.

As a total package he's not better than Hardin, McGill and Jackson right now. So why do it? We have depth guys to do what they would ask of him.

Again, I'm just a rube. ???

I'm with vince97-01. If he can truely help the team, than pull his redshirt. However, if they do pull it he better see the field on a regular basis. One of the most frusrating things for me this fall has been hearing of Jer putting on needed weight without losing his speed or agility and realizing we traded what would have been his best year (5th year) for limited action last year. I'm excited to see Galloday and don't doubt he could get in the rotation but from all accounts it sounds like this kid could be something we haven't had at UND if we let him put some weight on.

Question: Today in the Herald, they referred to Joe Mollberg as "True Freshman". Does this mean that his shirt has been pulled? Anybody have the official status?

*Edit*

Just saw on the official roster that the R was taken away from the whole Freshman part. This makes me believe that he will be the second string QB week #1 against Mines with the possibility of getting his first snaps in next Thursday night at the Alerus.

Question: Today in the Herald, they referred to Joe Mollberg as "True Freshman". Does this mean that his shirt has been pulled? Anybody have the official status?

*Edit*

Just saw on the official roster that the R was taken away from the whole Freshman part. This makes me believe that he will be the second string QB week #1 against Mines with the possibility of getting his first snaps in next Thursday night at the Alerus.

Where did you see the official roster?

*Edit*

If you're looking at the roster on undsports.com, all freshmen who came in this year are listed as just Fr, while anyone that redshirted last year are considered RFr. If you're seeing this somewhere else, then I'm not sure what to think about it. But the reason the herald article states "True freshman" is because that's what he is, whereas Butler and Sparks are both Redshirt Freshmen, and are noted as such.

*Edit*

A redshirt freshman is sombody who did not play in the first season aftery they signed with the school. Mollberg is a "true freshman" this season whether he sees the field or not. Jameer Jackson, for instance, is "redshirt freshman". This will be his first year of game action, but was on the team and in the system last season.