SiouxSports.com Forum

Most Popular Sports Team in US

GeauxSioux

Its baffling to me how confused the perspective regarding the significance of Fighting Sioux Hockey.

To the point that I start to question my bias in the matter.

But then I recall my trip to the frozen four in St. Paul or I remember that the Fighting Sioux have the only National Broadcast of their entire home hockey schedule. Or I think about the Sioux crowd at the plethora of CC and DU games I have attended for over a decade vs a Wisconsin playoff game at DU last year where there were about 5 Badger fans in attendance. I even recall how often Sioux hockeygets mentioned during the Nhl playoff broadcasts where former Sioux players are competing. Then I realize that my perspective has a sound basis.

Ofcourse after the crap that has been spewed recently regarding the all importance of "supporting the athletes" I am fully expecting to see 11,500 fans in attendance at the next UND womans tennis match. Then I will no how misguided I have been..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-Y7MAASkg

Walk into a bar on a Saturday afternoon or evening in small town ND in Sep/Oct/Nov and what's on the televisions? ESPN college game. ABC national college game. Maybe the SEC game on CBS. Sometimes Notre Dame on NBC. And maybe one set will have NDSU or even sometimes (gasp!) UND football.

Walk into a bar on a Friday or Saturday night in small town ND from Oct to Mar and what's on the televisions? UND hockey.

And it doesn't always have to be small town ND, just some town in ND.

• Upvote 3

Walk into a bar on a Saturday afternoon or evening in small town ND in Sep/Oct/Nov and what's on the televisions? ESPN college game. ABC national college game. Maybe the SEC game on CBS. Sometimes Notre Dame on NBC. And maybe one set will have NDSU or even sometimes (gasp!) UND football.

Walk into a bar on a Friday or Saturday night in small town ND from Oct to Mar and what's on the televisions? UND hockey.

Alright, well, the Fargodome is sold out. Over 12,000 season ticket holders. 10,000 made the trip to Texas. Like I said, I wouldn't throw either of them above the other. Both are pretty big deals and debating it is pretty pointless.

Alright, well, the Fargodome is sold out. Over 12,000 season ticket holders. 10,000 made the trip to Texas. Like I said, I wouldn't throw either of them above the other. Both are pretty big deals and debating it is pretty pointless.

Aside from winning the most recent championship, I would say that a big factor of why NDSU football would stand out from UND is that UND has been stuck in transition and as an obvious result the level of excitement surrounding the program has not been there. Pre-transition I would not place NDSU football ahead of UND in popularity. Perhaps in ticket sales, as you might expect from a larger metropolitan area. Post-transition, I think you will see the excitement come back for UND football.

Simply stated, the Bison have to compete with the Sioux for football popularity, but the same is not true for hockey.

Sioux Hockey nothing more to be said.

• Upvote 2

That's not a surprise. It's no different than the Minnesota Wild selling 6,000 new season ticket packages since signing Zach Parise and Ryan Suter. There is a lot of excitement around the team and Wild fans have been waiting for something positive to happen for a while.

Bison fans stuck it out through the long transition from DII and playing for/winning a National Championship created a whole new level of excitement for the program. Like the Wild, the Bison football bandwagon has grown drastically.

Twins #1! ??? hahahaahah

consider that the packers are probably a close 5th, and i think you understand my reasoning. Many people passionately hate and passionately love the vikings. The twins have a much broader base of fans. I can't really think of anyone who hates the twins

Having recenty gone on a small town bar crawl, I can tell you I say alot more NDSU paraphernalia than UND. If forced to call UND/NDSU, I would probably lean UND, but would call it a fleeting lead, and plausibly could turn NDSU over the next decade (or next season even if they repeat).

I have a different perspective on the UND Hockey vs. NDSU Football debate. When NDSU was preparing for the national semifinal game on their home field last season, which many would argue was the biggest home game ever played in their history, I was able to pick up a couple great sideline tickets online. As I didn't have a huge desire to go to the game, I thought I'd see if I could make a few bucks off the tickets. The best offer I got was $80/ticket.

I know people who have gotten more than that for a regular season UND hockey game vs. Denver or Duluth. I also know people who have gotten $200/ticket for a regular season game vs. the Gophers.

Having recenty gone on a small town bar crawl, I can tell you I say alot more NDSU paraphernalia than UND. If forced to call UND/NDSU, I would probably lean UND, but would call it a fleeting lead, and plausibly could turn NDSU over the next decade (or next season even if they repeat).

What towns were you in? That has a large part to do with it.

I realize you are 50/50 - Even Steven on the UND/NDSU thing :silly: but have you ever had a post that was slanted towards UND and put down NDSU?

UND Hockey Blog: 2,000,000+ pageviews

NDSU Football Blog: 600,000 pageviews.

UND Hockey is king and it will be for a long time.

Plus, excitement for UND Football is coming back since we are done with the transition, playoff eligible, in a great conference, new turf, jerseys, etc. Bison have a great football program but we are closing the gap.

• Upvote 2

I have a different perspective on the UND Hockey vs. NDSU Football debate. When NDSU was preparing for the national semifinal game on their home field last season, which many would argue was the biggest home game ever played in their history, I was able to pick up a couple great sideline tickets online. As I didn't have a huge desire to go to the game, I thought I'd see if I could make a few bucks off the tickets. The best offer I got was $80/ticket.

I know people who have gotten more than that for a regular season UND hockey game vs. Denver or Duluth. I also know people who have gotten $200/ticket for a regular season game vs. the Gophers.

Money is a great way to show popularity. $80 for the biggest home game ever? UND could charge a $100 for the Gopher series and still sell out.
  • Upvote 1

There are Bison football fans that are UND hockey fans. Are there UND fans that are bison fans?

Yeah I rooted for the Bison against the Gophers in football and last season when they were in the JV'chip. I'll root for UND when they play the Bison though.

Money is a great way to show popularity. $80 for the biggest home game ever? UND could charge a $100 for the Gopher series and still sell out.

I really doubt that. Unless you mean $100 for both games of the series together. What's the ticket prices for a Gopher/Sioux game at REA? Around $40 or so?

I really doubt that. Unless you mean $100 for both games of the series together. What's the ticket prices for a Gopher/Sioux game at REA? Around $40 or so?

$40??? Not even close. I have student tickets and I've been selling those for anywhere between $50-$75 depending on if they're lower bow or upper, and they sell out within minutes of being posted on underground. General admission tickets sell out the second they are posted and are scalped at around $150-$300 easily. The Sioux/Gopher series is a hugely anticipated draw at the REA, it's almost like homecoming of sorts. You can rag on UND football attendance all you want but when it comes to hockey there's no bigger draw in the entire state. FACT.

• Upvote 3

Yes they are listed around there, but those games are always sold out and people are regularly able to sell those tickets in the $100 range per game.

$40??? Not even close. I have student tickets and I've been selling those for anywhere between $50-$75 depending on if they're lower bow or upper, and they sell out within minutes of being posted on underground. General admission tickets sell out the second they are posted and are scalped at around $150-$300 easily. The Sioux/Gopher series is a hugely anticipated draw at the REA, it's almost like homecoming of sorts. You can rag on UND football attendance all you want but when it comes to hockey there's no bigger draw in the entire state. FACT.

Im talking about the listed price on the tickets, not what they sell for on the street. And I understand that people regularly sell these tix for about $100 a piece. What I'm saying is that if the face value of each ticket was $100 then there would not be 11,500 fans at the Ralph.

Im talking about the listed price on the tickets, not what they sell for on the street. And I understand that people regularly sell these tix for about $100 a piece. What I'm saying is that if the face value of each ticket was $100 then there would not be 11,500 fans at the Ralph.

How would it not be sold out if fans are still paying over $100 for a $40 ticket?

Per Schlossman's post last year, here were the prices of tickets before Ticketmaster's absurd fees (I believe they were about $10/ticket). So price per ticket was right around $60 or so for Sioux/Gophers and sold out almost immediately.

Per Schlossman's post last year, here were the prices of tickets before Ticketmaster's absurd fees (I believe they were about $10/ticket). So price per ticket was right around $60 or so for Sioux/Gophers and sold out almost immediately.

Nice work. The fees push tickets up 5-10 bucks.