SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

So we have 19 NLIs so far, still waiting on NLIs from Simmons (JUCO), Walton, and Benyard (JUCO). For PWO's, 4 are confirmed, still waiting to hear from Beck and Bolduc.

I'm not 100% sure how it works but PWO's have to have certain paperwork and fees (related to admission I think?) sent in and cleared before they can be officially announced. The difference has something to do with them not receiving and accepting financial aid/scholarship. Maybe someone a little more in the know can clear it up.

Hope the other guys get them in so they can be recognized today with everyone else.

Like I said before, National Signing Day is a Cheerleaders Day for FB programs all across America and it should be used to pump up the excitement and hope for the future in the fan base. And this fan base needs some serious pumping up right now.

Why is it the media's job to pump up a football program?

• Upvote 1

Why is it the media's job to pump up a football program?

It's not the media's job to brown nose anybody; I seriously hate that stuff. But Mr. Reality Check's (Tom Miller's) article today was a bit of a cheap shot on a coach and a staff who have been on the job for just a little over a month, are announcing their very first recruiting class today and haven't even coached a single game yet. I am all for constructive criticism, but wait until there is something to actually criticize. And Miller shouldn't insinuate that the new regime will necessarily fail like the old one did; we won't know that for several years.

• Upvote 2

SFI is now saying they may have had bad info regarding Benyard, and no longer think he's signing. He may have never committed in the first place.

Well there was someone they thought they had from Miami at some point per a Kevin Maurice tweet. Curious as to whether the coaches thought he was committed and he wasn't.......

It's not the media's job to brown nose anybody; I seriously hate that stuff. But Mr. Reality Check's (Tom Miller's) article today was a bit of a cheap shot on a coach and a staff who have been on the job for just a little over a month, are announcing their very first recruiting class today and haven't even coached a single game yet. I am all for constructive criticism, but wait until there is something to actually criticize. And Miller shouldn't insinuate that the new regime will necessarily fail like the old one did; we won't know that for several years.

It's Miller after all, I don't put to much stock in what he writes.

SFI mentioned that there was some competition at the end for Develyn Ferguson. Any ideas on who that may have been from?

Heard NDSU had called w/ a full-ride & he turned it down. (although don't know if that was at the "end".) The NDSU offer supposedly came a few weeks ago. May have been other schools as well.

Is it common knowledge how much schools offer kids or is it hearsay - how is Kolpack able to write that every time a kid chose UND over FU it was because UND offered more money?

Because it is clearly common knowledge that is the only way that UND can get a kid over FU. They don't lose recruiting battles, just ask them.

Plus he's probably just trying to stay on the good side of the new staff so they don't ban him from watching practice.

Is it common knowledge how much schools offer kids or is it hearsay - how is Kolpack able to write that every time a kid chose UND over FU it was because UND offered more money?

Typically it's hearsay, although I'm sure they're all proven sources when it's an ndsu partial....

I want Simmons to come here but if he does not it will not be the end of the world. I would really like to see Patrick Sharp get some touches this year and I also have a feeling that we will be getting an FBS transfer in the backfield as SFI has been mentioning.

Any potential names for FBS transfers? Between a transfer, Simmons and one of the other guys we could have a decent running game. It seems like the last really solid, standout back we had was Chappell. It would be nice to get some more size and strength back there.

Any potential names for FBS transfers? Between a transfer, Simmons and one of the other guys we could have a decent running game. It seems like the last really solid, standout back we had was Chappell. It would be nice to get some more size and strength back there.

I really think Patrick Sharp might become a stud. Unfortunately we haven't had a chance to see many of these kids in action since Mussman rode Miller all the time and we really didn't run it. Sharp just looks like he has "it" to me. I could very well be wrong.

Edit: I should also say I really like Sparks & Shags, and think Varner should have a shot to show what he's got.

Simmons in official.

While I am also pleased that we got him, his stats are not stellar. He ran the ball 68 times for a total of 297 yards. He was a freshmen so he didn't get a whole lot of carries early. He played on a pretty decent team (7-3) so they weren't passing a bunch to "catch up".

He must be a qualifier or else he wouldn't be eligible to move to a D1 school after only one year of JC ball. I assume that is a corrrect statement?

Hopefully, he will be a dandy for us - very nice size and speed!

While I am also pleased that we got him, his stats are not stellar. He ran the ball 68 times for a total of 297 yards. He was a freshmen so he didn't get a whole lot of carries early. He played on a pretty decent team (7-3) so they weren't passing a bunch to "catch up".

He must be a qualifier or else he wouldn't be eligible to move to a D1 school after only one year of JC ball. I assume that is a corrrect statement?

Hopefully, he will be a dandy for us - very nice size and speed!

The team he was on was definitely on a pass first team. They only ran the ball 314 times for 1163 yards in 11 games (avg of 29 / 106 per game) vs 520 passing attempts for 3,991 yards (47 / 363). The team also had 6 different guys that had at least 20 carries (4 RB's and 2 QB's). Simmons had the second most carries on the team behind a sophomore who had 87 attempts. Tough to get a real good grasp from that. He looks good when he did get the ball though.