SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

I doubt we are going to get much in the way of "top recruits" this year. Between having a dismal 3-8 season and no coaching staff in place until next year, I think it's safe to say we aren't looking at anyone exceptional. That has to change next year.

The kid we just got looks pretty damn solid if you ask me

The kid we just got looks pretty damn solid if you ask me

The problem I have is, you think every kid we get is some kind of over the top phenom who is going to be unstoppable. I know we want to be excited about our recruits, but let's reserve some judgment on them until they hit the field.
  • Upvote 1

I don't know anything about any of these recruits. Obviously other subjects have dominated the board the past month. As usual I'd like to see some O-lineman but I really think we need a great running back. Miller is good but I really would like to see them land a standout. Of course Conerback is a hole on Defense that I also would like to see shored up. I didn't answer your question but its good to talk about something other than the coaching fiasco.

luckily Miller graduates this year, hopefully making room for sparks, vaarner, and sharp..

The problem I have is, you think every kid we get is some kind of over the top phenom who is going to be unstoppable. I know we want to be excited about our recruits, but let's reserve some judgment on them until they hit the field.

That's a largely incorrect statement. Better get some quotes together of every single verbal the past three years that support your claim.

I am seriously concerned about this recruiting class. The 2014 class is widely considered to be one of the best the state of Minnesota has ever had and the coaching change could cause us to miss out on some talent across the midwest (mostly because this process took so long). Players quitting/transfering and a weak recruiting class could make for a few lean years in the win column. I guess the good news is that if Bubba is hired, he has lots of connections with HS coaches across ND,SD, MN, IA and Ill, so he may be able to pull a few guys in.

Hopefully the decison is made soon and the new coach can get to work on recruiting asap.

I am seriously concerned about this recruiting class. The 2014 class is widely considered to be one of the best the state of Minnesota has ever had and the coaching change could cause us to miss out on some talent across the midwest (mostly because this process took so long). Players quitting/transfering and a weak recruiting class could make for a few lean years in the win column. I guess the good news is that if Bubba is hired, he has lots of connections with HS coaches across ND,SD, MN, IA and Ill, so he may be able to pull a few guys in.

Hopefully the decison is made soon and the new coach can get to work on recruiting asap.

You also have to think that both guys have some eyes on and contact with some guys that they are or wanted to recruit that they would be able to get. Not like they haven't been on the recruiting trail.

Following some twitters, it looks like UMary QB Stetson Carr from Hazon is transferring to UND starting next semester:

http://www.goumary.c...x?path=football

He was a freshman and has to sit out a year because he is moving up

And he is leaving UMary because....? I'm assuming he redshirted this year, so why is he looking to move up? Another thing, when players sit out a year for transfering, are they still on our scholly? I hope he's a good get, but at the same time it's hard to tell.

I'm very interested to see what type of juco and drop down transfers we get. It looks to be pretty necessary right now.

Looks like you're on to something there.

After looking at SIU's roster, it looks like they really value JUCO and FBS-transfer players.

Their top rusher this year was a transfer from Oregon State, their second leading rusher was JUCO, and their third rusher was a transfer from Georgia.

Their top two defensive backs, in terms of interceptions, are JUCO. And their top two tacklers are JUCO LBs.

With the way UNDs roster is looking right now, I would actually like to see that philosophy installed, and it looks like either DeBoer or Bubba would do so. Of course, the whole roster can't be that way, so you "fill in the gaps" with local, hard working kids. Bubba would be great at that.

After this season's results, I would love to see some big bodied, physical transfer players at runningback and corner/safety!

They are great for bridging the gap or meeting an immediate need but they cannot be the foundation of the program long term.

That's kind of stereotypical. You obviously would never be able to produce a starting lineup composed entirely of transfers and junior college kids, but adding a few every year to key positions would be fine IMO.