SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirit Lake Tribe Files Appeal In Lawsuit Against The NCAA

Goon

All this will do is drag this entire soap opera out longer and longer. The chances it will work are slim and none........and slim is on a permanent vacation.

I don't see how this has any chance of winning.

Don't forget, the Spirit Lake leaders wouldn't return phone calls to the SBoHE Chancellor nor his staff when they were trying to get them to do what was needed to keep the name back when Spirit Lake could have made a difference. Standing Rock was even more difficult to deal with. You never know from day to day what their stance on this issue is nor was. They have so many problems there with the child abuse and child protection issues and political corruption it isn't funny. Any tribal members who are not devoting all of their time and efforts to protect those kids should be ashamed. The Fighting Sioux name has been retired. Only those who are a bit delusional don't get this.

Don't forget, the Spirit Lake leaders wouldn't return phone calls to the SBoHE Chancellor nor his staff when they were trying to get them to do what was needed to keep the name back when Spirit Lake could have made a difference. Standing Rock was even more difficult to deal with. You never know from day to day what their stance on this issue is nor was. They have so many problems there with the child abuse and child protection issues and political corruption it isn't funny. Any tribal members who are not devoting all of their time and efforts to protect those kids should be ashamed. The Fighting Sioux name has been retired. Only those who are a bit delusional don't get this.

I was wondering where these people were three to five years ago....

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/242357/group/homepage/

A federal judge says it appears the political fight over the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux nickname is over and has thrown out a lawsuit by six American Indian students at UND.

The suit was filed last year after the state Legislature passed a law requiring the school to keep the nickname. The law was later repealed, but retirement of the logo was put on hold when a group of nickname supporters put the issue to a statewide vote.

• Upvote 2

Well, we won't be looking at a state constitutional amendment vote in November.

http://www.inforum.c...group/homepage/

But he said the committee members were concerned about dropping the nickname fight into a mix of other “very contentious issues” on the November ballot, including tobacco, medical marijuana and animal protection.

“When we did a ‘post mortem’ on the referendum, we saw that people were confused despite our best efforts,” he said. “We can’t take that back, and we’re not saying we should vote over. But you can assume the language will be clearer this time.”

I think Sean just called North Dakota voters "stupid".

• Upvote 2

Well, we won't be looking at a state constitutional amendment vote in November.

http://www.inforum.c...group/homepage/

“UND’s football team has not used the name and logo (on uniforms) in ages,” he said, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

So ages is what around 2008 or 2009? UND had the Sioux logo on the chest of the jersey just below the neck line. This guy is a total moron.

• 1 month later...

http://www.grandfork...group/homepage/

A federal judge says it appears the political fight over the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux nickname is over and has thrown out a lawsuit by six American Indian students at UND.

The suit was filed last year after the state Legislature passed a law requiring the school to keep the nickname. The law was later repealed, but retirement of the logo was put on hold when a group of nickname supporters put the issue to a statewide vote.

And they want to extend an olive branch to nickname supporters. I have a perfect spot where they can put the branch.

I was talking by the farmers market after walking in the Potato Bowl Parade today - there is another petition signature drive taking place. Something to do with a petition about the nickname and political leaders. Anyone know what this one is about?

I was talking by the farmers market after walking in the Potato Bowl Parade today - there is another petition signature drive taking place. Something to do with a petition about the nickname and political leaders. Anyone know what this one is about?

Are they being handled by the NDSU football team? ;)

• Upvote 2

A university spokesman said the Huron mascot is “historical memorabilia” and thus does not violate the NCAA’s ban on the use of Indian names or imagery considered “hostile or abusive” at NCAA championship events.

UND was told by the NCAA at the NCAA hockey tournament that not even band members could wear the Sioux logo, and now EMU is doing this? I think the NCAA better tell EMU that if you want to wear this you better get official permission from the tribe or else on the list they go. (not like it will affect EMU football any)

UND was told by the NCAA at the NCAA hockey tournament that not even band members could wear the Sioux logo, and now EMU is doing this? I think the NCAA better tell EMU that if you want to wear this you better get official permission from the tribe or else on the list they go. (not like it will affect EMU football any)

EMU dropped their own name without the NC$$ holding a gun to their head. I doubt they'll make a stink of it, unless somebody whines which sounds likely.

On the flip-side, if UND wishes to keep its trademarks of the Sioux moniker it will have to use it "in commerce" occasionally.

• Upvote 1

EMU dropped their own name without the NC$$ holding a gun to their head. I doubt they'll make a stink of it, unless somebody whines which sounds likely.

On the flip-side, if UND wishes to keep its trademarks of the Sioux moniker it will have to use it "in commerce" occasionally.

Which is something I noticed...Alerus Center no Sioux logo on merchandise, REA-Sioux logo on merchandise.

Which is something I noticed...Alerus Center no Sioux logo on merchandise, REA-Sioux logo on merchandise.

The vendor selling products at the Alerus Center is new. They never had rights to sell the Sioux logo, and no new vendors are being added. REA will stop selling Sioux logo stuff at some point in the not to distant future, I haven't heard what date was set to stop shipping that product.

The vendor selling products at the Alerus Center is new. They never had rights to sell the Sioux logo, and no new vendors are being added. REA will stop selling Sioux logo stuff at some point in the not to distant future, I haven't heard what date was set to stop shipping that product.

I asked the cashier when I did the REA tour and she said around December. As for the new vendor it will be hard to replace items with the name and logo on it, but people will buy it, I actually own 1 shirt without the name and logo on it (I found it at Target last spring). I have no problem with it because it still says University of North Dakota.

• 3 months later...

Seems the SL CUR missed their filing deadline for their petitions.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/251546/

Supporters of UND’s old Fighting Sioux nickname did not submit petitions to force another statewide vote on the issue by Wednesday’s deadline, Secretary of State Al Jaeger said Thursday.

The Spirit Lake Sioux Tribe’s pro-nickname Committee for Understanding and Respect had one year from the time its petitions were approved by Jaeger’s office to file them for a ballot measure in June 2014.

• UNDBIZ locked this topic