SiouxSports.com Forum

Brock, Danny, and Derek: PLEASE STAY!!!

yzerman19

Nobody likes the one-and-done aspect of modern college sports, but we have to keep in mind that without early departures like

Brock's, UND would not be seriously considered by players like Parise, Toews, Grimaldi, and Jones. Those players all see college hockey as a preparation for the NHL, and a player leaving after two years is proof to them that this program can prepare them. So as disappointing as Brock's departure is, it's not all bad news in the long run.

I don't think a kid has to go straight to the NHL right out of college to justify leaving early, but I think they should be close enough to the big leagues so that they get called up once or twice during their first AHL season. That keeps you on the radar of the organization and you won't get pushed aside by prospects that are coming after you that look more NHL ready and get the call-ups you could have gotten. I think Bochenski leaving early was a mistake; he has been up and down (mostly down) in his career and hasn't stuck with any NHL club for long. These kids have a short window to get called up and establish themselves in the NHL and once they get "too old", they will be pushed aside by front offices and be stuck in the minors until they retire. And that really is a shame.

As for this argument that it's good to leave early because you get more games against better players and will develop quicker, that really sounds like an argument for the Major Junior route and not an argument for leaving after one or two years of college hockey. If kids don't like the idea of playing fewer games for no money, they shouldn't have chosen the college route in the first place. UND has a proven track record for developing talent for the next level and I think Nelson would have benefited from at least one more year of that. And I do think it will be harder than he and some of the posters on here think it will be. But, that aside, I do wish him well.

Using Bochenski as proving point for your argument does not help. Bochenski has been a 1 DIMENSIONAL player his whole life, he will not play defense if his life depends on it, that is why he has been up and down his whole life (now he is in the KHL). With that being said I think Brock made the best decision that benefitted him the most. No one knows how well a player is going to develop if he stays at UND for one year or all four years. All we can do is wish Brock well and thank him for the time he was here.

My thoughts: the coaching staff really does know what's up.

Getting Saunders to come is huge with Dell leaving. (I admit I'm surprised on that departure). But having a goalie on our roster with collegiate experience is huge.

Dell was the winning goalie on back-to-back WCHA Championship teams. If teams were interested in him after being one of the top goalies statistically in the nation in 10-11, the fact that he helped the Sioux (departures and injuries) win again this year probably upped his stock a bit. When you look at the other NCAA goalies that have signed, it is not surprising he is receiving interest.

After tax and agent cut that leaves him maybe 40K and he will not play in the AHL. There are way better goalies in the ECHL than him. Hence, $350 a week playing in the ECHL or god forbide the Southern Professional Hockey League.

Based on other NCAA goalies signing, Dell will likely be playing in the AHL and if not will be getting paid an AHL salary to play in the ECHL. His AHL salary will probably be around $60 000 and his signing bonus around $80 000. These terms will hold for two years. Total around $ 280 000.

Leaving for a 75K bonus check is just weird to me... A good graduate should make that much money per year just a few years removed from school. I don't get it.. The$40k after taxes is peanuts.

I get living your dream and all, but wow...

That he would even get a 75K signing bonus is a big assumption. More like he will sign an ECHL contract with no real bonus and a $350 a week paycheck. A NHL team would pay for the rest of his schooling but not a minor league team.

Based on other NCAA goalies signing, Dell will likely be playing in the AHL and if not will be getting paid an AHL salary to play in the ECHL. His AHL salary will probably be around $60 000 and his signing bonus around $80 000. These terms will hold for two years. Total around $ 280 000.

Only if he signs with an NHL team and not as a free agent in the minors. If he had been drafted that is one thing but he is a free agent. Free agents tend to become victims of politics.

Only if he signs with an NHL team and not as a free agent in the minors. If he had been drafted that is one thing but he is a free agent. Free agents tend to become victims of politics.

Wow watchmaker49...a good free agent actually has more options and because teams are competing for his services, he can get a better deal...do you really think Dell would be leaving without a signing bonus and NHL affiliation?

Wow watchmaker49...a good free agent actually has more options and because teams are competing for his services, he can get a better deal...do you really think Dell would be leaving without a signing bonus and NHL affiliation?

It would be almost idiotic for him to leave early for an AHL-ECHL contract. I would be willing to bet 100% that the contract Dell signs will be a 2-way NHL-AHL entry level contract. I'm not going to look into it further but depending on his age it will be either 2 or 3 years.

That he would even get a 75K signing bonus is a big assumption. More like he will sign an ECHL contract with no real bonus and a $350 a week paycheck. A NHL team would pay for the rest of his schooling but not a minor league team.

The rumors are tha multiple NHL teams are looking at signing Dell. He isn't leaving school to sign an ECHL contract. One team that has been rumored to have some interest is Montreal, I haven't heard any other names.

As you just said a GOOD free agent and Dell is not one of them. If Dell got an NHL affliation it is still questionable but one thing, unless I missed it, no one has said that maybe he is thinking of leaving because of his possible lack of playing time next year and getting out when the getting is good.

The rumors are tha multiple NHL teams are looking at signing Dell. He isn't leaving school to sign an ECHL contract. One team that has been rumored to have some interest is Montreal, I haven't heard any other names.

I know he attended Montreal's prospect camp last summer and was offered by them last year as well. Apparently Dell prefers a Canadien team, not really sure where that rumor started though.

Rumors are like a-holes everyone has one. They way every talks about the goalies coming in next year it really might be a good time for him to sign with anyone. If he does not get ice time next year his value drops very fast. People, don't get me wrong I hope he gets the best deal possible. When you think about it leaving for him is probably the best move he could make even if he only signs with an ECHL team.

As you just said a GOOD free agent and Dell is not one of them. If Dell got an NHL affliation it is still questionable but one thing, unless I missed it, no one has said that maybe he is thinking of leaving because of his possible lack of playing time next year and getting out when the getting is good.

You are telling me a former Broadmoor and MacNaughton Cup winning goalie, not to mention a former All-American, is going to lose his job to a freshman with no college experience and a transfer from Alabama-Huntsville? If Dell didn't lose his starting job this year with his struggles, and with a 2-time All WCHA goalie backing him up, there is no way he will lose it next year. He is not leaving due to lack of playing time next year.

Very few athletes that have been number 1 at their position are going to leave because they are worried about playing time the next year. It's possible that they could be concerned that something could happen to cause them to have less value next year, like an injury or something. If you are a free agent it can be a good idea to strike while you are at a high value. But I am pretty sure that Dell leaving because he expects to lose a lot of playing time is not the reason that he is going pro. And I would be shocked if he signed a contract with an ECHL team, it will be with an NHL team with expectations that he will play in the AHL.

Actually I mentioned that in my post too, Dell lost playing time this year compared to last year, and by most accounts he had a worse year this year than the year before. I really think he could be thinking about if he struggles there is gonna be more and probably better competition which could result in him losing playing time. The other thing with Dell is there is no guarantee he would get an offer next year, he is a free agent if for some reason he got injured or had a bad year there is no guarantee. I think Dell will be in the AHL and probably has interest from more than a few teams as there aren't a whole lot of college free agent goalies who are better than him, all in all Dell probably feels like this just might be his best opportunity.

For this (Brock) to make any sense he better have gotten a max. deal. I would have thought that he would have demanded to play at the end of the year to burn the year under the entry level contract. At this point Brock doesn't have all that much leverage. After next year he would have had ALL the leverage as he would become a free agent if he wasn't signed. WIthout burning a year off the rookie deal I'm a bit confused.

Anyhow, best of luck to Mr. Nelson and Mr. Dell.

You are telling me a former Broadmoor and MacNaughton Cup winning goalie, not to mention a former All-American, is going to lose his job to a freshman with no college experience and a transfer from Alabama-Huntsville? If Dell didn't lose his starting job this year with his struggles, and with a 2-time All WCHA goalie backing him up, there is no way he will lose it next year. He is not leaving due to lack of playing time next year.

Never say never.

Actually I mentioned that in my post too, Dell lost playing time this year compared to last year, and by most accounts he had a worse year this year than the year before. I really think he could be thinking about if he struggles there is gonna be more and probably better competition which could result in him losing playing time. The other thing with Dell is there is no guarantee he would get an offer next year, he is a free agent if for some reason he got injured or had a bad year there is no guarantee. I think Dell will be in the AHL and probably has interest from more than a few teams as there aren't a whole lot of college free agent goalies who are better than him, all in all Dell probably feels like this just might be his best opportunity.

I think we are on the same page excluding if he plays in the A or E.

I would tend to agree with your statement. I think Dell is striking while the iron is hot.

I guess what I am hearing from a few posters here is that Seth Jones should go the Major Junior route because if they don't think he has put on enough weight and added enough strength or that he is not ready to go, they will bag on him for leaving. Let these kids and their advisors make their own decisions because they are the ones that are inevitably going to have to live with their decision.

• Upvote 2

He may not have had as much interest with only 1 real good year in the books after not having a lot of acclaim before that.

I believe he was offered a contract by Montreal but decided against signing but I am not privey to the details of that offer. Could it have been more or less than what he is currently being offered. Yes. I guess only Dell knows that.