SiouxSports.com Forum

Sat vs Mankato

WiSioux

Here was the reason for the delay last night. Happened right in front of me. Damn near spilled my beer when it happened.

420672_10151377255010171_531960170_23485646_957551548_n.jpg

Did the team continue to warm up then with the glass broken? I mean its extremely dangerous to be sitting behind a hockey net without any glass, and you would think that if they continued to warm up they would at least clear out the section of fans.

Did the team continue to warm up then with the glass broken? I mean its extremely dangerous to be sitting behind a hockey net without any glass, and you would think that if they continued to warm up they would at least clear out the section of fans.

This happened basically on the first shot of warmups. The glass broke so the players went off the ice while the glass was being cleaned up and replaced. The game started about 20 minutes later than originally scheduled.

I don't no if anyone saw this but Schlossman was asked if he thought Kristo would return and he said his gut feeling was that he would be back next year.

Because schlossman seen Kristo and got the same gut feeling I did! You can make light of the "Daktron" or whatever you called it, but this stuff does mean a lot to some people! Being that type of person myself, I (and schlossman) seen it in his eyes!

With Gregoire and Hextall leaving early, Miller and Matteau de-committing, all the injuries this year, St. Clair being ineligible,

Kristo staying would be a nice surprise. Montreal will probably make him a good offer?

We can hope that a couple of underclassmen take to heart what Hextall said to the team over Xmas break...that leaving early was a mistake and he wishes he would have stayed. Hopefully guys like Kristo, MacWilliam, Knight, Dell, and Nelson listen to his advice. :)

We can hope that a couple of underclassmen take to heart what Hextall said to the team over Xmas break...that leaving early was a mistake and he wishes he would have stayed. Hopefully guys like Kristo, MacWilliam, Knight, Dell, and Nelson listen to his advice. :)

I'm really not worried at all about anyone but Kristo leaving early. I see MacWilliam taking awhile in the minor's before making it the NHL, no reason to leave early for that. Nelson needs another year to add strength. If Dell didn't sign after last year, I really don't see him signing this year. I think Knight sticks around because he is drafted by Florida, who has arguably the deepest prospect pool in the NHL. He leaves this year and he is probably a 3rd line player on their AHL team next year. I would much rather be senior captain for the Fighting Sioux than a 3rd line center for the San Antonio Rampage.

He doesn't need one, he won't be here five seasons.

I dont agree with that. No doubt the guy is talented but the NHL isn't looking for a whole lot of 5'6 players. I can only think of one player that short off the top of my head and that is St. Louis and Grimaldi will more than likely never end up being at St. Louis' level. He will have to show that he even has the talent to consistently be successful here before we have to worry about him not being here 4 years. I have no doubt that they will attempt to get him a medical redshirt, its just a matter if they have already sent in the appeal or not.

I dont agree with that. No doubt the guy is talented but the NHL isn't looking for a whole lot of 5'6 players. I can only think of one player that short off the top of my head and that is St. Louis and Grimaldi will more than likely never end up being at St. Louis' level. He will have to show that he even has the talent to consistently be successful here before we have to worry about him not being here 4 years. I have no doubt that they will attempt to get him a medical redshirt, its just a matter if they have already sent in the appeal or not.

I think you are underestimating Grimaldi's potential. I honestly think that if he would have been healthy this year, this would have been his one and only year playing as a Fighting Sioux. I realize the NHL isn't looking for 5'6 players, but being drafted with the 3rd pick in the second round while being 5'6" says something about how good NHL scouts think this kid can be. This was after he fell about 10-15 spots from where he was projected in the draft.

I think the point is you never know what these guys are going to do. Nobody had a worry about Hextall, yet how nice would it be to have him suited up in that slot where we aren't able to field a player. As far as Kristo being ready to play in the NHL, I would bet that if our season ended early, Montreal would certainly like to get a look at him through their remaining games so they can feed their maniacal fans hope for the future. I think Kristo is more dominant than Bjugstad, even if his numbers aren't quite there. As far as a player being ready for the NHL, it is sometimes whether the opportunity is there or not. I would say that at the college level Kristo is more dominant than Derek Stepan, yet Stepan was a candidate for rookie of the year. Kristo has been to Montreal's camps, so I am sure they know whether he has a chance with the big club right away or if he needs some minor league development. Regardless, I am sure they want to get him in their system if not to sell the fans hope, to keep from running the risk of losing him after another season.

I think the point is you never know what these guys are going to do. Nobody had a worry about Hextall, yet how nice would it be to have him suited up in that slot where we aren't able to field a player. As far as Kristo being ready to play in the NHL, I would bet that if our season ended early, Montreal would certainly like to get a look at him through there remaining games so they can feed their maniacal fans hope for the future. I think Kristo is more dominant than Bjugstad, even if his numbers aren't quite there. As far as a player being ready for the NHL, it is sometimes whether the opportunity is there or not. I would say that at the college level Kristo is more dominant than Derek Stepan, yet Stepan was a candidate for rookie of the year. Kristo has been to Montreal's camps, so I am sure they know whether he has a chance with the big club right away or if he needs some minor league development. Regardless, I am sure they want to get him in their system if not to sell the fans hope, to keep from running the risk of losing him after another season.

I agree with your assessment, but being dominant in college sometimes doesn't translate to the NHL level right away. Look at Matt Read, a solid player in college, but never really dominant. He steps right in and contributes on an NHL playoff team. It seems like the "smarter" players in college do better in the NHL than the dominant ones. That is why I think of all the players in college hockey right now, Jaden Schwartz will have the best NHL career.

Montreal isn't stupid, no way they'll not try and make a run at a player of Kristo's caliber. At the same time, maybe Danny doesn't want to end up north of the border, and playing another year gives him his free agency.

Montreal isn't stupid, no way they'll not try and make a run at a player of Kristo's caliber. At the same time, maybe Danny doesn't want to end up north of the border, and playing another year gives him his free agency.

We are forgetting about the clause that Jason Gregoire used. Since Danny played a year of Juniors after being drafted, he can withdraw from school and become a free agent after this season like Gregoire did. I honestly think that is what he will/should do, it is pretty dumb not too. He is going to get the rookie max no matter where he signs, why not have your pick of 30 teams instead of just 1?

When we're talking about chances of significant success in the NHL I'd say Bjugstad is a safer bet than Kristo. Still, we will be fortunate if he stays.

But if he does, that will be an exciting team. (They will be anyway, but more so)

When we're talking about chances of significant success in the NHL I'd say Bjugstad is a safer bet than Kristo. Still, we will be fortunate if he stays.

But if he does, that will be an exciting team. (They will be anyway, but more so)

No question Bjugstad, with his size, speed, and reach he could play in the NHL after this season ends IMO and hold his own.

Two things ...one Bjugstad is far and away more NHL ready ready now....it's not even close.

My point on Why I think Kristo is gone is that it is my understanding of the free agent clause that gregoire and wheeler? Was it, used was that it had to be excersi send after their junior year, if the come back they give it up and are retained by the drafting team?

Am I wrong on this? If not what I mean is that to basically have the opportunity to shop all NHL teams for the right fit and finances, it just can't compare to a senior, IMO.

Hextall didn't take that route he just straight signed with Phoenix, so I can understand the second guessing, Gregoire, I would guess he makes the same call to get out of the islander organization 100 times out of 100.

But again if I am incorrect about that clause only being actionable after the third college year, please correct me.

Two things ...one Bjugstad is far and away more NHL ready ready now....it's not even close.

My point on Why I think Kristo is gone is that it is my understanding of the free agent clause that gregoire and wheeler? Was it, used was that it had to be excersi send after their junior year, if the come back they give it up and are retained by the drafting team?

Am I wrong on this? If not what I mean is that to basically have the opportunity to shop all NHL teams for the right fit and finances, it just can't compare to a senior, IMO.

Hextall didn't take that route he just straight signed with Phoenix, so I can understand the second guessing, Gregoire, I would guess he makes the same call to get out of the islander organization 100 times out of 100.

But again if I am incorrect about that clause only being actionable after the third college year, please correct me.

The thing with Gregoire is that he could have waited til after his senior year and signed with any team too. Once you are done with 4 years of college, if a prospect waites til Aug. 15 of that year, they becomee a free agent.

NCAA players are an exception: In most instances, an NCAA student-athlete or someone

who becomes an NCAA student-athlete in the sport of men's ice hockey prior to June 1

after being drafted in the NHL Draft will have his contract rights retained by his drafting

club until August 15 following the graduation of his college class as long as he remains in

school. Even if that drafted student-athlete were to leave school before his class graduates,

his drafting club would hold rights to sign him until June 1 of the year four years after he

was drafted.

The free agency rules for NCAA drafted players.

Gregoire played one year of juniors, so his rights were retained by the Islanders only through the end of his Junior year. Since Kristo came to UND right after High School, Montreal will hold his rights until June 1, 2013, which is 4 years after his draft year.