SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Beavers

siouxnami

You know its kind of funny, but after the World Junior tournament this past year, and the swoon that UNO is going through, Deano has kind of lost of bit of gusto in my eyes. Still a great hockey coach, but I think the end could be near. Heck, they've got his replacement already figured out, wouldn't surprise me at the end of this season if Coach Blais stepped down.

Like I said though, great man, great hockey coach. At this point in time though, I back Hak.

I know I meant it was a joke for what the people that start the thread will start saying haha.

You know, he would never blow a 2 goal lead...

NEVER...Except that one time...and that other time...and the time after that.

It never surprises me that there are ship jumpers early in the season. Last year was really one of the only Hakstol years that everyone was on board from beginning until the end. I think Hakstol is a great coach that lets a team find its identity early in the season, and once they've got it figured out starts building them into the type of team that will make a run in the second half.

With the injuries that this team has had there is way we should be talking about a top five WCHA finish, and pairwise rankings, etc. But one thing I've learned from the Hakstol era is never for one minute think his teams are out of the hunt.....Yeah, no NCAA Championships, but the last 8 years have been pretty sweet.

Facts are facts. Hakstol has never missed the NCAA tournament in seven tries, including five trips to the frozen four and one championship game appearance.

Now the Sioux, even though they are very young and riddled with injuries, are sitting in a position where they just need to win 2 of 3 at home against a team they have historically dominated, especially at home, and they're likely into the tournament for an eighth time.

Anybody who looks at these statistics and comes to the conclusion that Hakstol is not an elite coach in college hockey needs to go be a fan of almost any other team in college hockey for a few years (other than Boston College) and then tell us how you feel about Hakstol.

Facts are facts. Hakstol has never missed the NCAA tournament in seven tries, including five trips to the frozen four and one championship game appearance.

Now the Sioux, even though they are very young and riddled with injuries, are sitting in a position where they just need to win 2 of 3 at home against a team they have historically dominated, especially at home, and they're likely into the tournament for an eighth time.

Anybody who looks at these statistics and comes to the conclusion that Hakstol is not an elite coach in college hockey needs to go be a fan of almost any other team in college hockey for a few years (other than Boston College) and then tell us how you feel about Hakstol.

He actually has 2 championship game appearances. Took them to the title game against Denver in his first year.

• Upvote 1

There will always be those fans that won't like Dave Hakstol no matter what he has done, whatever, I am fine with that… These are the same fans that wanted him fired after his teams lost to UNO last season but later recovered to make the Frozen Four. These were the same fans that wanted him fired after his team didn't win the title again.

While coach Hakstol might not be Jerry York, he is no slouch as well; Hakstol has 8 seasons of 20+ wins... That Is not small accomplishment to say the least…

Hakstol has an impressive coaching record of 207-105-29 - WCHA 133-75-20.. His teams have won (2 X) MacNaughton Cups and (3X) Broadmoor Trophies. The only throphy that has eluded him is a NCAA title. I have to believe that eventually that title will happen for one of his impressive teams. The God Father of college hockey Jerry York took what 12 season at B.C. before he won the first one?

So mark me down as a fan of Hakstol.

Edited by Goon

There will always be those fans that won't like Dave Hakstol no matter what he has done, whatever, I am fine with that… These are the same fans that wanted him fired after his teams lost to UNO last season but later recovered to make the Frozen Four. These were the same fans that wanted him fired after his team didn't win the title again.

While coach Hakstol might not be Jerry York, he is no slouch as well; Hakstol has 8 seasons of 20+ wins... That Is not small accomplishment to say the least…

Hakstol has an impressive coaching record of 207-105-29 - WCHA 133-75-20.. His teams have won (2 X) MacNaughton Cups and (3X) Broadmoor Trophies. The only throphy that has eluded him is a NCAA title. I have to believe that eventually that title will happen for one of his impressive teams. The God Father of college hockey Jerry York took what 12 season at B.C. before he won the first one?

So mark me down as a fan of Hakstol.

Thats true about York but don't forget he already won a national title at Bowling Green.

5 Frozen Fours in what, 7 seasons? Multiple regular season and post season titles. Very impressive. There's no arguing that Hakstol has done a great job. It's just ironic that the people calling him a great coach are the same people who consistently ripped Woog for having almost identical accomplishments while at the U.

[

Blah Blah Blah. You guys that are content with just "being there" are the same people who want every single kid to get a trophy in sports. There are WINNERS and there are LOSERS, no matter how much you hippes want to give everyone a trophy, cookie, and a "atta boy" just for TRYING.

Hakstol, has done NOTHING that special since he's been here. His first few years he had Blais's teams that I COULD HAVE COACHED to the playoffs and FF. Bochenski, Parise, Toews, Oshie, Duncan, on and on and on and on.

He had SUPERIOR TALENT and at the end of the day came home with as many Championships (what programs like UND are judged by except by you liberal "happy to be there" clowns) as Michigan Tech and Alaska Anchorage have in the last decade.

Give me a NATIONAL TITLE and 11 bad seasons any day of the week over "Making the playoffs" and CHOKING every single damn year.

Although, that's so HARSH, especially for you "rah rah rah, never say anything negative about our Sioux, rah rah rah" fans.

• Upvote 1

Thats true about York but don't forget he already won a national title at Bowling Green.

5 Frozen Fours in what, 7 seasons? Multiple regular season and post season titles. Very impressive. There's no arguing that Hakstol has done a great job. It's just ironic that the people calling him a great coach are the same people who consistently ripped Woog for having almost identical accomplishments while at the U.

Hak does not have the below 500 season Woog had at the end, which also happened to Gino and JSauer.

The fact that Hak has got to 20 wins with circumstances of this season speak highly of his coaching ability. Not an easy task - just ask tDon.

[

Blah Blah Blah. You guys that are content with just "being there" are the same people who want every single kid to get a trophy in sports. There are WINNERS and there are LOSERS, no matter how much you hippes want to give everyone a trophy, cookie, and a "atta boy" just for TRYING.

Hakstol, has done NOTHING that special since he's been here. His first few years he had Blais's teams that I COULD HAVE COACHED to the playoffs and FF. Bochenski, Parise, Toews, Oshie, Duncan, on and on and on and on.

He had SUPERIOR TALENT and at the end of the day came home with as many Championships (what programs like UND are judged by except by you liberal "happy to be there" clowns) as Michigan Tech and Alaska Anchorage have in the last decade.

Give me a NATIONAL TITLE and 11 bad seasons any day of the week over "Making the playoffs" and CHOKING every single damn year.

Although, that's so HARSH, especially for you "rah rah rah, never say anything negative about our Sioux, rah rah rah" fans.

I guess we need Steve Johnson then - he is from USA/GF - that's all it takes.

[

We all want big game success, but I disagree with your post. This year has shown us that Hak is a very good coach.

In a one and done format, the best teams often don't win. Just look at the NCAA basketball tourney. Remember, these are 18-22 year old kids on average, which adds another variable into the mix. Don't get me wrong, I see those 7 green banners in the Ralph, and know that it's been quite awhile since a new one was hung. I wouldn't choose 1 NCAA title and 11 seasons of sucking.

So, this past Frozen Four, when we lost to Michigan, was it Hak's fault that they outshot the Wolverines 40-20 and only gave up one goal (not counting the empty netter)?

The team had a lot of chances but just couldn't get one past Hunwick. I think if you told any coach that you'd outshoot the opponent by double and your goalie only gave up one goal, not one coach would turn that down.

If you look at all the Frozen Four games Hak has been in, the only game where they played poorly from start-to-finish was the 2008 game against BC. In 05, losing to Denver was disappointing, but we weren't the superior team. In 06 and 07, we didn't have the best goaltending, but the rest of the team played well enough to win.

The coach can only do so much and the only game I could really put on Hak is the 2008 one.

• Upvote 3

[

Couldn't agree more bro!! I would say that Hak has done a tremendous job this year though. Other than that, I would have to say he's had some pretty top tier talent and done nothing with it. Just "being there" like you say isn't good enough for me either.

UND should have at least 2 titles under Hak and he's came home empty handed year after year. Plus the NH choke job, Yale, last year, it gets old.

And for you fans and your "hot goalie" talk, doesn't that get old year after year after year as an excuse? It'd be nice if we had the "hot goalie" for once, or if we could score on the "hot goalie" like every other team does the next game.

Post of the year imo man!

Is the student body on spring break again?

UND Spring Break runs March 12-16th, so I would guess many students will be gone already. The good, die-hard ones will be there though, and I assume the band will stick around or find replacements for missing people. Anyone know?