SiouxSports.com Forum

State B in Grand Forks

the green team

I'd just like to take the time to welcome all the teams and fans to Grand Forks. We hope they have a great time at the tournament. Unfortunately, I believe Mr Schnepf who writes for Forum Co. had it wrong- His article today says the last time it was here it was 71 when Wyndmere won it. He equates that to 31 years ago. I'm not great at math....but isn't that 40 plus years ago?

I'm looking forward to the B being here. I used to go all the time, and haven't had a chance in over a decade. But I intend to take in some games this week. I'm going to try duck out of work tomorrow afternoon so I can watch the Grafton/NorthStar game. I think it has the potential to be a good one.

Again, for those of us in Grand Forks- we are going to see a lot of people hopefully from out of town. Let's try make them feel welcome and that we are happy to have the Crown Jewel of State Tournaments within our city. Go out and support it if you have time. Adopt a school to cheer for if you would like.

Just think of this... Grafton Spoiled GFRR's hockey game win streak here in GF last weekend, wouldn't it be quite a story if they spoiled another long winning streak only a week later in a different sport- but in the same city.

Should be a lot of fun!

• Upvote 1

The Class B is always a good time. It's a shame it's not "the last high school tournament of the season" as it used to be, but GF will be a good host. I'll be up for the Minnesota State-North Dakota hockey series so it will be an all-around fun time in the northern city.

I'm relieved and excited about a certain lack of Dickinson Trinity in the tournament. Still miss the old days of the really small schools in the "B". I want Epping, Grenora, and Rhame to win it!! Too bad a lot of small programs like these are disappearing.

There are some small schools involved. Maybe not to the degree of Epping. But still plenty small. Grenora had 26 students enrolled this year, but they're still waiting for the next Hunter Berg to come along- so I don't think there going to qualify for some time yet. :) But Berthold has only 86 students and Divide Co. 96--those are plenty small in my book. And they are in the tournament, so I'm puzzled as to why you choose Big Beulah? Just Kidding ;) . Actually I see that Beulah is in the low 200's for 9-12 enrollment- they used to be at least 100 students or so more 15-20 years ago. What's with the decline in enrollment there?

I'm relieved and excited about a certain lack of Dickinson Trinity in the tournament. Still miss the old days of the really small schools in the "B". I want Epping, Grenora, and Rhame to win it!! Too bad a lot of small programs like these are disappearing.

Dickinson Trinity wouldn't even be in the top half of enrollment with the schools that qualified for this years B. Their success has more to do with having one of the best coaches in Class B than the 27 students per class that they have in their high school.

Grenora actually now plays in the Montana high school league. But their enrollment K-12 has basically doubled in the last few years due to the oil boom and the Wildrose-Alamo school closing. In another year or two I expect them to be back playing in North Dakota.

Those who can watch the games, can you keep the rest of us updated on the scores? Maybe give us an update after each quarter? I'm stuck at work all day but would like to be able to follow the games.

Agree - that would be great.

Are there any radio stations broadcasting the tourney who are available on the internet?

As some one who has lived in Hillsboro, Litchville, and Linton and eventually Bismarck I can say the most dangerous place in Bismarck when they host the Class B tourney is on the one way streets. Just a heads up to the people in Grand Forks to drive carefully and expect the unexpected. :lol:

As some one who has lived in Hillsboro, Litchville, and Linton and eventually Bismarck I can say the most dangerous place in Bismarck when they host the Class B tourney is on the one way streets. Just a heads up to the people in Grand Forks to drive carefully and expect the unexpected. :lol:

Litchville, wow; I lived in Marion for 5 or 6 years while I was in elementary school and my dad was pastoring there. I believe he even taught in Litchville for a few weeks/months filling in for a teacher with a health problem, but that would have been back in the late 50's.

Had a really good turnout of people for the afternoon games!

People, get out and see how fun the B actually is...

IF you think sioux hockey fans have pride, check out the smalltown crowd lol

Haha! When I was in school, we went to State Class B. We eventually lost in the championship game. Another town was so mad for us that they wanted to throw snowballs at the other teams bus.