SiouxSports.com Forum

Time for Mr. Kelley To Lead and Not Follow

ksixpack

The Athletic Department will take a major hit without it.

I just heard Brian Faison raise some excellent questions:

- without Big Sky Conference, how, as a football independent do you schedule games? Everyone else in FCS is in a conference now. UND doesn't have the money to pay that many guarantee games

- without Big Sky Conference, how would UND be able to schedule 24 plus MBB and WBB games? There are only 3 other independents so that leaves that many to schedule.

I heard the replay of Doug Fullerton. He's not bluffing. Why would he and his group of schools want to take on this albatross? They'll cut UND loose before they have to deal with it. It's their party. They can and will. And the NCAA brass would sit back with popcorn and watch.

• Upvote 1

- without Big Sky Conference, how, as a football independent do you schedule games? Everyone else in FCS is in a conference now. UND doesn't have the money to pay that many guarantee games

- without Big Sky Conference, how would UND be able to schedule 24 plus MBB and WBB games? There are only 3 other independents so that leaves that many to schedule.

I heard the replay of Doug Fullerton. He's not bluffing. Why would he and his group of schools want to take on this albatross? They'll cut UND loose before they have to deal with it. It's their party. They can and will. And the NCAA brass would sit back with popcorn and watch.

I heard the same concerns. You can probably add volleyball and other sports. Most of the games would have to probably be on the road even if you could schedule games. Most of the home games would be Division II or NAIA schools. Then you have the problem of reaching the minimum number of Division I games needed to remain in Division I.

There will be an unofficial meeting of Big Sky presidents to see if the decision to cut UND is unanimous, if indeed uninimity is required. Then there will be an official meeting where the announcement to drop UND is made, and it will be soon, well before June 6..

Let's ask the same of Mr. Faison...can he lead us through this (see gloom and doom dribble above).

Wouldn't it be refreshing to hear this from Mr. Faison

..."While we feel the Big Sky would be a great fit for the University of North Dakota and we would love nothing better to be a proud member of their conference if there ever came the day where they would not accept our membership we are confident that there could possibly be other potential conferences out there that would love to have this great University as part of there membership. Although President Kelley and I are fully opposed to the yes vote on June 6th because of the NCAA sactions that will be levied against us, the passion and commitment to this University is overwhelming to the point that is amazing to a lot of folks across the country. We, as well as our passionate supporters in North Dakota, know this university has a lot going for it and I would hope that cooler heads prevail and we will continue to have the support of the Big Sky as we weave through this difficult process..."

Instead we get his quotes above...you would think he must have taken a Public Relationship course at some point?

If the Big Sky kicks UND out, UND athletics are no longer viable at the DI level for as long as the NCAA sanctions are in place. It is as simple as that.

Let's ask the same of Mr. Faison...can he lead us through this (see gloom and doom dribble above).

Wouldn't it be refreshing to hear this from Mr. Faison

..."While we feel the Big Sky would be a great fit for the University of North Dakota and we would love nothing better to be a proud member of their conference if there ever came the day where they would not accept our membership we are confident that there could possibly be other potential conferences out there that would love to have this great University as part of there membership. Although President Kelley and I are fully opposed to the yes vote on June 6th because of the NCAA sactions that will be levied against us, the passion and commitment to this University is overwhelming to the point that is amazing to a lot of folks across the country. We, as well as our passionate supporters in North Dakota, know this university has a lot going for it and I would hope that cooler heads prevail and we will continue to have the support of the Big Sky as we weave through this difficult process..."

Instead we get his quotes above...you would think he must have taken a Public Relationship course at some point?

You are living in a fantasy world.

There are no other potential conferences.

Your questioning of Kelley and Faison's leadership is misguided at best.

They basically had two conferences in a race to add our programs, AFTER THE NICKNAME WAS RETIRED. Now the one we left at the alter (Summit League) is letting out a huge sigh of relief, while the one we got hitched to (Big Sky) is drafting divorce papers.

By all accounts, Faison basically spear-headed the NCHC, which although is basically a red-headed stepchild compared to the WCHA pre-Bemidji/UNO, is a hell of alot better than we would have been left with in McLeoud's WCHA after Wisco and Minnesota left.

Faison, especially, has been a great leader, even with the anchor of the nickname controversy around his neck. And he probably could have accomplished a heck of alot more in his time here already if not for this assinine issue.

• Upvote 3

If the Big Sky kicks UND out, UND athletics are no longer viable at the DI level for as long as the NCAA sanctions are in place. It is as simple as that.

Precisely, and I do not believe that message has been adequately communicated to voters/potential voters.

• Upvote 1

Let's set aside for a moment which conferences UND could try to get into. Think of it from the other perspective: Given how historically rare and extraordinary the expulsion of a school from a conference is, and taking into consideration the same type of people that would vote to kick out UND are the same type of people which would have to vote UND into another conference, what college president would cast a vote to bring an expelled UND into their league?

Hey after this vote is over & it wins & the sky falls - then you can have your own referral vote

But for now there is still a chance - without SL stepping up, you guys would of buried the name already

There is still hope & as long as there is I think the majority will keep up doing the right things

Hey after this vote is over & it wins & the sky falls - then you can have your own referral vote

But for now there is still a chance - with out SL stepping up you guys would of buried the name already

There is still hope & as long as there is I think the majority will keep up doing the right things

I wonder how many nickname crusaders will still support UND once our athletic programs have been reverted back to D2? My guess is that they will jump ship and start hanging out over at Bisonville, assuming that they aren't already.

There will be an unofficial meeting of Big Sky presidents to see if the decision to cut UND is unanimous, if indeed uninimity is required. Then there will be an official meeting where the announcement to drop UND is made, and it will be soon, well before June 6..

Where did you gather this info?

But for now there is still a chance - without SL stepping up, you guys would of buried the name already

You keep saying that there is still hope, or still a chance. Still a chance for what? Still hope for what? The NCAA has said that they will not accept the use of the nickname or logo. The sanctions are in place and could be felt as soon as the women's hockey team makes the playoffs. There is no chance of that not happening as long as UND uses the name. Spirit Lake has a lawsuit in place that is going to take several years at a minimum. If it goes to a series of appeals it could take a decade. The UND Athletic Department may not survive that long under sanctions, or more probably it would be a shell of what we now see. The lawsuit will happen with or without UND using the nickname right now. We know that you don't care about the Athletic Department. But what do you really expect to happen, or hope to happen, while the Spirit Lake lawsuit is going on?

I wonder how many nickname crusaders will still support UND once our athletic programs have been reverted back to D2? My guess is that they will jump ship and start hanging out over at Bisonville, assuming that they aren't already.

It doesn't matter if we go backt to DII, it's still the NCAA. We would still be under sanctions in DII and DIII.

It doesn't matter if we go backt to DII, it's still the NCAA. We would still be under sanctions in DII and DIII.

Plus, the only DII conference in the region is the Northern Sun and they already have 20 members. It's not even a sure thing that UND would be invited to join them.

How about a united front to win the battles as they come instead of more same-ol always someone doing all they can to give up

This has been the case all along always something to block a truely united well thought out fight to save the name

Just call me the Honey Badger of saving the Fighting Sioux Name :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

You want Kelley to lead? I think he has done an excellent job for UND. He has done what is expected. He hasn't gotten into any trouble. UND is growing. It is a good university. You think that he should waste his time trying to get a Big Sky President to back him up? You sir, are dumb. Believe it or not, he has other things going on as the president, and wasting his time on getting a president to back him up is both stupid and pointless.

While you cling to a nickname that is a sinking ship, he has actively tried to get everyone on lifeboats. You on the other hand, (guy who started this stupid thread) are trying to keep everyone on the ship. You'd rather see everything UND has accomplished athletically go down hard. As a fan of the OTHER institution, I'm more than happy to watch UND go down, but you seem to want to lead the charge. You are not a fan of UND, in any way, shape, or form. People like yourself, are going to vote in June. And this thing is going to pass.more than likely. And then you are going to complain when you see your beloved hockey team start to take a few hits. You're going to complain when the football team isn't accomplishing anything while the OTHER school continues being successful. And you're going to complain when all the other sports begin to fail and you are left cheering for what is more than likely going to be a pretty sad athletic program.

For the decent UND fans that have been trying to avoid this since the metaphorical iceberg a mile off, I feel terrible for you. For the ones who saw it once the iceberg was really close, I feel bad for you. For the ones who were ready to jump ship when it hit, I feel a little bad for you. For you idiots who STILL think the name is the way to go, I am happy to sit back and eat popcorn while everything goes to crap around you.

/rantover. sorry for offending anyone....except the pro-nickname people.

• Upvote 2

For the decent UND fans that have been trying to avoid this since the metaphorical iceberg a mile off, I feel terrible for you. For the ones who saw it once the iceberg was really close, I feel bad for you. For the ones who were ready to jump ship when it hit, I feel a little bad for you. For you idiots who STILL think the name is the way to go, I am happy to sit back and eat popcorn while everything goes to crap around you.

/rantover. sorry for offending anyone....except the pro-nickname people.

Johnboy is an annoying little Bison prick.

And even he cringes at the Scorched Earth Club.

Sad.

How about a united front to win the battles as they come instead of more same-ol always someone doing all they can to give up

This has been the case all along always something to block a truely united well thought out fight to save the name

Just call me the Honey Badger of saving the Fighting Sioux Name :D

There was a united front through the court case against the NCAA. And most tried to continue until it became apparent that Standing Rock didn't have time to do anything before the deadline, and had no desire to do anything. At that point it became time to start protecting the University.

I'm just concerned that you may be a honey badger with rabies. Did the doctor test you for rabies?

OK I'll be done (for now) :silly: or like the Honey Badger - don't give a !@$!

I can now give the Alumni just as much credit / blame as anyone in this mess

Best of Luck SPIRIT LAKE & Sioux Fans never give up

The Fear Mongers have released the wolves (actually sheep in wolves clothing in this case) :)

I am sorry to inform you but there will be a vote on June 6th and you and I know it will pass. All 10 of the presidents have to vote us out for us to lose Big Sky membership. Can Kelley lead us to make sure at least one of the presidents has our back?

I'm not so sure it will pass. I know a few on here think it is a lock but there is 70%-80% of the ND voting population that doesn't have their mind made up one way or the other on this issue. The leadership of the university is now becoming more vocal and you are going to see alumni, both athletic and academic become more and more vocal in this. I also believe if, and it may be a big if, you can get Coach Hakstol to come out and admit there will be ramifications against the hockey team if the name stays, this will be put to bed right now. That man has earned a lot of respect from former players and current fans and it won't take long for word to spread if he does this. Like i said however, that is a big if. I still hold firm that if the vote was tomorrow, it would be very close. The extra time until June will only help the University who has stayed pretty quiet during this time, spread their word. The actions of the past few days have gotten the ball rolling and more and more people are going to speak up.

OK I'll be done (for now) :silly: or like the Honey Badger - don't give a !@$! I can now give the Alumni just as much credit / blame as anyone in this mess Best of Luck SPIRIT LAKE & Sioux Fans never give up The Fear Mongers have released the wolves (actually sheep in wolves clothing in this case) :)
I've seen this term used a few times, but it's a misnomer. Fear is an intangible, emotional, imagined. The issues the student athletes are facing are real, and are in point of fact right now with Iowa dropping the home and home with WBB, and the warnings from Fullerton, very tangible. You have the luxury to come on this board and minimize those consequences as if they don't really exist, or downplay the difficulty in dealing with them because when the consequences do come, it isn't you shouldering the burden.

Sorry folks but I must confess that this thread has been a sham...just a thinking exercise for all of you sky-is-falling types out there.

My point to all of you is this...wouldn't our leaders be doing the very things I posted on this thread if indeed we were in peril of losing our Big Sky membership? Of course they would! Wouldn't they be trying to secure support from the members of the league? Wouldn't they be looking at plan B instead of talking about failure as an independent? For heaven's sake, wouldn't the talk coming from them sound more like leadership rather than trying to persuade that the sky is falling and dooms day is near! I would sure hope so...

Fact is we are not in eminent peril of being kicked out of the Big Sky and both Kelley and Faison know this.

If the vote passes which is very likely are we going to face the NCAA sanctions...you bet, for sure we are. We can argue the depth of those ramifications but that is a totally separate argument.

Kelley, Faison, and Fullerton are setting up a smoke screen to get this issue behind us. They want it gone and frankly can you blame them? Surely the Big Sky doesn't want us on NCAA sactions. Obviously it's not good for business but they still believe we are a viable member to bring in otherwise they would have kicked us out already after the original state law vote wouldn't they?...why is this latest petition drive any different than that? The nickname was gone both times and resurected both times...so why kick us out now and not then? Remember what Fullerton said in his interview with McFeeley...he said we are for sure in the Big Sky next year, are not in danger of being kicked out before we enter in August, but would could be considered for removal if we were no longer viable after a period of time with NCAA sanctions and that removal would take a unanimous vote from the 10 presidents. Listen to the audio if you don't believe it.