SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 World Junior Championship

Ray77

I thought the Czech's were totally classless with the celebrations and the canadian crowd a bunch of douche bags. It's something called karma and team Canada will get theirs someday.

Karma has already bitten them in the backside; remember Russia's comeback in the gold medal game last year? And our gold medal in Saskatoon that shut up the crowd. As the U.S. gets better and better in hockey and as other nations work to build up their programs, there'll be more opportunities to stick it to Team O' Canada.

Read my signature.

I have been reading Brad's work since he started at the Herald on Day one. I don't remember him writing many stories like that. If any thing Brad writes it as it is. Brad asks the tough questions. I am not sure that's really all that fair.

I have been reading Brad's work since he started at the Herald on Day one. I don't remember him writing many stories like that. If any thing Brad writes it as it is. Brad asks the tough questions. I am not sure that's really all that fair.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I will give him credit this morning, though. He didn't blame last night's tie on a hot goaltender. Personally, I think the team is just so beat up and shorthanded they can't sustain 60 minutes of effort.

I think Jayson is far worse at blaming losses for a hot goaltender than Schlossman is. Pretty sure he's blamed every loss for a hot goaltender this year haha. Schlossman has blamed a few on hot goaltending, but not all of them.

Is that UND's SID you are talking about? I haven't read his stuff too much, but I will take your word for it. You are right, Schlossman doesn't do it all the time, but he has done it enough to get my attention. The rest of the Grand Forks media is also to blame for it. But in the end, it's a team game and it's teams that win or lose games, not individuals.

Is that UND's SID you are talking about? I haven't read his stuff too much, but I will take your word for it. You are right, Schlossman doesn't do it all the time, but he has done it enough to get my attention. The rest of the Grand Forks media is also to blame for it. But in the end, it's a team game and it's teams that win or lose games, not individuals.

Yep the SID. I don't read much of his stuff either, but on the chat he's always telling people there's nothing you can do when you run into a hot goaltender whenever they're losing haha. Very true, in the end it's a team game.

I think Dean got suckered more into taking the softer, skillful talent unlike in 2009-10. They played with no grit and little physicality. A couple years ago, they would fly around the ice and match up with anyone physically, which took a toll on the other team. This year, it was all trying to be too pretty and cherry pick your chances. Didn't work.

Part coaching, part talent selection.

I think Dean got suckered more into taking the softer, skillful talent unlike in 2009-10. They played with no grit and little physicality. A couple years ago, they would fly around the ice and match up with anyone physically, which took a toll on the other team. This year, it was all trying to be too pretty and cherry pick your chances. Didn't work.

Part coaching, part talent selection.

I think it is mostly a talent issue. The blue line was as poor as I've seen from team USA in a long time, and the snipers weren't able to snipe despite having tons of good looks.

Also I'm not aware of any glaring omissions, but maybe there are some.

I'm putting this US team performance on the US coaches. Yes, I'm saying Blais, Sandelin, and Ward messed this up.

They stuck with Campbell in net when he was clearly not sharp from the start. He looked slow laterally from the opener. Those PPG against Denmark should've been a big red flag that Campbell wasn't the answer this time.

They tried to run a diamond penalty kill instead of a traditional box. Yes, that probably led to Campbell's issues versus Denmark, but why would you run a PK that I'm pretty sure most of those players aren't all that familiar with.

Beyond those two glaring issues, I just didn't see fire and passion out of this US team. And that's something the coaches needed to light.

I'm putting this US team performance on the US coaches. Yes, I'm saying Blais, Sandelin, and Ward messed this up.

They stuck with Campbell in net when he was clearly not sharp from the start. He looked slow laterally from the opener. Those PPG against Denmark should've been a big red flag that Campbell wasn't the answer this time.

They tried to run a diamond penalty kill instead of a traditional box. Yes, that probably led to Campbell's issues versus Denmark, but why would you run a PK that I'm pretty sure most of those players aren't all that familiar with.

Beyond those two glaring issues, I just didn't see fire and passion out of this US team. And that's something the coaches needed to light.

Correct about the fire and passion. I can't believe the team didn't show more of it this tournament. After the Canada game the players talked about how the crowd fired them up, and they loved it......none of them really played like it fired them up (maybe Emerson Etem). Zucker went ahead and told everyone that he thought the U.S. would beat Canada, and he really didn't show up until the third period against Canada.

The U.S. should beat Latvia 12-0....but the way this team played this tournament I wouldn't be shocked if the Latvian goaltender was made to look like an NHL caliber goaltender and its a one or two goal game either way.

• Upvote 1

But Gibson was the goalie that played in the critical game and took a stupid penalty when the U.S. had a powerplay to take the lead.

When you get over 90 shots on goal over 2 games but only 3 goals, the issue isn't coaching. Our top 6/9 didn't get it done when it came time to light the lamp.

Maybe the talent level is down over the past years - that's not coaching either.

Re PK - every NHL/college/good HS team runs a form of a 1-2-1 vs an high umbrella PP. Watch our team next game.

• Upvote 1