SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 World Junior Championship

Ray77

Forbort had 2 assists tonight. One has to wonder what Denmark is doing in this tourney. They were awful.

Well, they apparently have one of the 10 best Under 20 teams in the World, so clearly they belong in the tourney if they got in through the qualifying tournament. And on a side note, let's remember that Latvia is in the other pool with Russia, Sweden, and Slovakia (maybe?) so they might not even be the worst team in the tournament. :)

Forbort had 2 assists tonight. One has to wonder what Denmark is doing in this tourney. They were awful.

I believe Denmark just qualified for it last year by winning the "Division I" level tournament. There is the World Championship group (which is what we're used to), Division I, II, and III. I believe the bottom team of each division every year move down one level, while the top team from lower levels moves up one group. That would explain why Belarus isn't in it this year.

Yep haha, that's how they do it. I just looked at results from the level below and next year Germany will be competing in the Championship level. They beat out Belarus about a week and a half ago.

What I find interesting is that I have always thought of Norway to be a decent country in hockey, but they only finished 3rd in the DI level. Here's a link where you can see all of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships

The Denmark starter was horrid. I couldn't figure out how the Russian Red Stars goalie was playing for Denmark. :D

But then I saw the three weak PP goals Campbell let in for the US. :sad:

Campbell plays like that versus Canada and the US is sunk, big-time.

I wouldn't worry too much about Campbell. He was the best goalie in the tournament last year in this event and was in the U18 tournament 2 years ago as well.

The offense doesn't seem to be clicking. Passes aren't as crisp as on Monday, but that's probably because the defense here is much better so they're having to force things a bit more.

I wonder why Gibson is in net today instead of Campbell.

End of the 2nd period, Finland leads 1-0

If I remember correctly, people used to say on here back in the day that Dean Blais was a goalie killer. I don't know if any of those people still post here, though.

The offense doesn't seem to be clicking. Passes aren't as crisp as on Monday, but that's probably because the defense here is much better so they're having to force things a bit more.

I wonder why Gibson is in net today instead of Campbell.

End of the 2nd period, Finland leads 1-0

I think Blais wants to get both goaltenders some experience early on. It certainly paid off in 2010.

I think Blais wants to get both goaltenders some experience early on. It certainly paid off in 2010.

This is the exact reason. Blais knows how to handle a team, get everyone involved, and have them clicking come the medal round.

1-1...USA ties it early in the 3rd.

I like the fact that Blais got a different goaltender in there today. Campbell wasn't great by any means against Denmark, and it could be his wakeup call. The Fins have a horrible goal differential (thanks to the host nation), so even with two losses the U.S. should be able to get into the playoff portion of the tournament.

We'll see what team shows up on Friday.

I like the fact that Blais got a different goaltender in there today. Campbell wasn't great by any means against Denmark, and it could be his wakeup call. The Fins have a horrible goal differential (thanks to the host nation), so even with two losses the U.S. should be able to get into the playoff portion of the tournament.

We'll see what team shows up on Friday.

The problem is the 2 losses thing. They still need to beat either the Czechs or Canada. And i'm sure we can all agree the Canada game is a long shot.

Did anyone else hear the amount of money the winner of the 50-50 raffle won last night during the Canada-Czech game?

It was $84,000. As long as it's not pesos, that guy made quite the haul.

I can't imagine that much money was raised in one night though.

To what entity does the other half go to?

To what entity does the other half go to?

The 50% that doesn't go to the winner usually goes to the charitable organization that suppiles the volunteer sellers for the particular game. It is often a minor sports association. I don't know how the International Ice Hockey Federation, Hockey Canada and the two arenas are doing it during the WJC but it wouldn't surprise me if the other half is still going to charity. $84,000 going to the winner is much higher than anything I have seen at these games and I suspect that was the total and the winner got $42,000. The total at last night's Russia-Slovakia game in Calgary was around $50,000. Not a bad souvenier from a hockey game.

Hockey Canada or Rexall Place?

Saw this on twitter yesterday and thought it was interesting

The twitter isn't surprising. Hockey Canada and the CHL are partners. It's a model, hate it or not, the NCAA should have taken with their DI hockey program and USA Hockey but they didn't.